West Coast America Road Trip

Started by mortified, July 12, 2011, 09:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortified

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of help. A gang of us are heading to LA, San Fran, Vegas on a road trip should be quality going for about 16 days. Just wondering has anyone ever done it and any must see's on the way. Probably spending 3/4 nights in San Fran & Vegas, 2 in LA (Santa Monica I think).

No accomodation booked in Vegas, any ideas (want to be decent place but cheap at the same time if thats possible). Any information helpful as between us we could barely organise a weekend in Achill. Started checking stuff to do on the internet but obviously so much stuff and everything seems to be the best. Going in September so weather should be ok.

Cheers in advance
quit your jibba jabba fool!!

Bogball XV

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13723.0

few pointers there - for my money i'd say 16 days is tight for that amount of driving.

mortified

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 12, 2011, 10:10:57 PM

few pointers there - for my money i'd say 16 days is tight for that amount of driving.

cheers will have a look. 16 days was the best we could get with holidays etc

Mario

Me and a few mates did this exact trip 2 years ago. Flew into San Fran, stayed there 3 nights, drove along the coast, staying in Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara, Montery, Santa Monica and Laguna Beach before going over to vegas for the last 4 nights.

San Fran is a pretty cool city, we went to Alcatraz, did the bus tours etc. I'd say 3 nights is enough there.

We had a great night out in Santa Cruz in some student nightclub, couple of good nights in Santa Barbara too which is a big town with plenty happening. Santa monica was a bit expensive as your nearly in LA. LA itself was pretty sh*t if you ask me, not worth staying in, you can go there for a day from Santa Monica.

A couple of the lads where fans of the women in that Laguna Beach TV show, so we thought we'd make a visit. Very wealthy area, lovely beaches too and women. We also visited 6 flags, well worth a visit. Obviously Vegas was great craic, by the fourth night I was nearly dead but loved it.

Highlight for me was probably the California Seaside towns, some great nights out to be had there.

Craigyhill Terror

For cheap, decent Vegas hotels go to www.fatwallet.com and go to the Vegas Hotel Promos thread near the top of the forums. I can't post the link here but I used it the last couple of times I went and it's brilliant for good deals. Some of them don't come up until just before they'll valid so if you're patient great deals will come up

Puckoon

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 12, 2011, 10:10:57 PM

You're talking 4-5 hours from LA to either of the other major cities - so the driving shouldn't be that much of an issue.

For what its worth - I'd spend a day in LA (just to say you did, if Im being honest, Id probably skip LA altogether, only for flying in and out of), Id drive to Vegas in an evening and spend 3-4 nights there, maybe taking in a weekend. I'd spend a week in cities up the california coast - and then Id spend the rest of the time in San Fran.

Come to think of it Bogball - what are you talking about with the driving, theres next to none to do that triangle except a couple 4-5 hour drives? :)

An Gaeilgoir

Did most of this trip 6 years ago. My advice, stay from LA. We stayed in Santa Monica, an absouloute shit hole and rip off. Stay is as many of the small towns along the way, some mad little places and good value.

Declan

lynchbhoy

imo
san diego better than LA.
but a good bit further down.
Newport beach is a nice place to stay in about an hour south of LA (on the outskirts they say !!)
there was a best western hotel right on the beach there - I stayed at a friends place, but the hotel looked good and was in a great location near the 'town'.

San fran ok - people either love it or hate it. Do the city bus tour ending up in alcatraz.
pricey (not as bad as LA) but wouldnt be much to do after two days imo.

San diego cheaper, has the fantastic gaslamp quarter and great beaches (coronado and la jolla)

Dont know anyhting about Vegas - wont plan my trip there until Guineapig Declan comes back with the info !!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Puckoon on July 12, 2011, 11:00:12 PM
Come to think of it Bogball - what are you talking about with the driving, theres next to none to do that triangle except a couple 4-5 hour drives? :)
Sure what would I know, I live in Ireland where we think a drive from Derry to Dublin is a major expedition that entails stopping in Cookstown for mineral, chocolate, crisps and papers, Dundalk for the fry, Monasterboice for a pint and soup and a sandwich, and then finally arrive in Dublin and head straight for the carvery in the Royal Dublin!!

I was thinking, arrive at LAX and head up coast to SF, driving time along pch etc would be 10/12 hours.  Then another 10hrs odd from san fran to vegas.  Vegas down to LA again only be 4 odd hours.  So you're right, with the way the lads would be doing it stopping in Santa Barbara, Big Sur etc, it'd be short enough drives, plus they'd probably base themselves in LA somewhere and head up to SF and LV from there.  What about San Fran to Vegas, anything worth seeing there, could you head up to yosemite and come down by Reno?  Only asking as I might be doing that trip next year.

Declan

QuoteI was thinking, arrive at LAX and head up coast to SF, driving time along pch etc would be 10/12 hours.  Then another 10hrs odd from san fran to vegas.  Vegas down to LA again only be 4 odd hours.  So you're right, with the way the lads would be doing it stopping in Santa Barbara, Big Sur etc, it'd be short enough drives, plus they'd probably base themselves in LA somewhere and head up to SF and LV from there.  What about San Fran to Vegas, anything worth seeing there, could you head up to yosemite and come down by Reno?  Only asking as I might be doing that trip next year.

The best piece of advice I got was to Drive South from San Fran down the coast so that you can at least enjoy the views on the PCH driving on the "wrong" side of the road etc.

Eamonnca1

I'd say start in SF, spend a handful of days there, take a day or two to drive down the coast to LA, I wouldn't spend much time there but from there you could drive to Vegas.  You can include a coach trip to the Grand Canyon when you're in Vegas, take a day at that.

mortified

cheers lads for the tips, going to start some serious internet searching soon to sort it out

ross matt

San Fran is a lovely quaint city. Weather not always great but great atmosphere and there is the cable cars... the hilly streets.... the Golden gate bridge...Alcacratz... Fishermans wharf .... Palace of Fine arts.... the mission district and sausilito.

San Diego is more modern but really cool and well laid out in terms of sight seeing. The Zoo is class... seaworld... the gaslight quarter...

LA is crappy enough in parts but its  a must see in terms of hollywood... rodeo drive .... disneyland... universal studios .

Vegas is a crazy place. 2-3 nights is as much as anyone should be able to handle but well worth the experience.

Some of rural california is cool and laidback.... town like Carmel, Half Moon bay.... Monterey... Laguna beach etc.

If you have time to spend a day or two in Yosemite national park you wont regret. I stopped off there on a drive from Vegas to San Fran. There is a town called Oakhurst outside  it that you can stay in or else in the park itself.

You cant go wrong with California full stop. Even driving on the highways over there for the first time is a real buzz. Mad Jealous. Enjoy it Mortified.