The 140th Open Championship

Started by laoislad, July 11, 2011, 01:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on July 18, 2011, 08:07:41 PM
McIlroy and the woman have split up.
Births, deaths and marriages - Minder our very own Registrar!

Bensars

Quote from: AQMP on July 19, 2011, 09:24:45 AM
Judging from Arlene Foster's input to Talkback yesterday negotiations seem to be at an advanced stage to bring the Irish Open to Portrush in the next couple of years.  She was saying that this would be a good way to show the R&A that Portrush can handle a big golf event.  I'm not 100% sure but I think the earliest the Open could come to Portrush would be 2016??

Thats spin for ye and trying to jump on band wagon. The R&A said yesterday that they would look at the idea again in the autumn.

AQMP

Quote from: Bensars on July 19, 2011, 10:06:04 AM
Quote from: AQMP on July 19, 2011, 09:24:45 AM
Judging from Arlene Foster's input to Talkback yesterday negotiations seem to be at an advanced stage to bring the Irish Open to Portrush in the next couple of years.  She was saying that this would be a good way to show the R&A that Portrush can handle a big golf event.  I'm not 100% sure but I think the earliest the Open could come to Portrush would be 2016??

Thats spin for ye and trying to jump on band wagon. The R&A said yesterday that they would look at the idea again in the autumn.

Not exactly sure what you're saying here Bensars.  I believe the Opens for 2012, 13 and 14 have already been "awarded" and in years ending in 0 and 5 it is always at St Andrews.  So 2016 would seem to be the earliest.  The pro at Portrush was interviewed and he said that there would be work required to the course, not in terms of the holes but access for spectators and media etc.  But I'm sure 5 years would be enough to carry this out?

Bensars

What i am saying, is questioning the statement  "Judging from Arlene Foster's input to Talkback yesterday negotiations seem to be at an advanced stage to bring the Irish Open to Portrush in the next couple of years.", when at the same time the R&A  said yesterday they would look at the idea again in the autumn.

One is saying that they would consider the prospect while another gives the impression its at an advaced stage.

DownFanatic

Despite the constant waxing lyrical about Royal Portrush in the past few days, the experts and most golfers will tell you that the Royal County Down in Newcastle is a much better course. It is continually voted in the top 10 links courses in the world and in 2003 was placed 8th in the Golfer's Digest of best golf courses in the world. The 9th hole is also continually recognised as the one of the best in the business.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Bensars on July 19, 2011, 11:06:00 AM
What i am saying, is questioning the statement  "Judging from Arlene Foster's input to Talkback yesterday negotiations seem to be at an advanced stage to bring the Irish Open to Portrush in the next couple of years.", when at the same time the R&A  said yesterday they would look at the idea again in the autumn.

One is saying that they would consider the prospect while another gives the impression its at an advaced stage.
Does Arlene have no qualms about hosting the Irish Open in what she would construe as British territory? Is it the Northern Irish Open?

Newcastle has a worse infrastructure than Portrush so let's forget that. Nothing wrong with flattening Cushendall and adding another 9 holes to the existing course.

AQMP

Two different tournaments Bensars

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 19, 2011, 11:15:01 AM

Does Arlene have no qualms about hosting the Irish Open in what she would construe as
British territory? Is it the Northern Irish Open?

Newcastle has a worse infrastructure than Portrush so let's forget that. Nothing wrong with flattening Cushendall and adding another 9 holes to the existing course.

I would have no problem with that as long as the locals were all safely in their houses when it was getting flattened.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thewobbler

From a tourism perspective, I believe RCD would be the better option. Belfast is probably close enough to Newcastle to allow them to consider the city as part of their accommodation catchment area, while the town itself has a couple of big hotels. With some sensible policing of passage through Dundrum, Carryduff and Clough, Newcastle to Belfast would be a very simple run for visitors. Portrush doesn't quite have that set-up. Portrush is just difficult to get to from anywhere, no matter how you add it up.

In terms of the course itself, I wouldn't make a big deal out which one is better. Both are regularly considered in the top 10 in the world, which means they're both beyond reproach and it's like trying to determine if one shade of perfection is a better shade than another. From what I can gather, RCD shades it mostly because the views of the Mournes are sublime, almost unparalleled in world golf.

The more sceptical side of me believes that it's harder to get off these top 10 lists than to get onto them, but still, they're two courses to be immensely proud of.

fitzroyalty

I read somewhere that those at RCD are not interested in hosting Majors.

muppet

Realistically they should host a regular tournament on the tour first before trying a major.

If it went well then they would be in a stronger position.

Irish Open? (I'm 50% serious)
MWWSI 2017

Minder

If we are going to try and host the Irish Open why not try and host the Scottish Open or the German Open?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

Quote from: Minder on July 19, 2011, 11:36:09 AM
If we are going to try and host the Irish Open why not try and host the Scottish Open or the German Open?

Like I said, they are more likely to get to host a major after demonstrating that they could hold another tournament.

Thats one reason why the K-Club had the European Open for years ahead of the Ryder Cup.
MWWSI 2017

AQMP

Quote from: Minder on July 19, 2011, 11:36:09 AM

Both Portrush and RCD have hosted Irish Opens in the past (OK the last time was 1947) and Belvoir hosted it in 1953, but bear in mind there was no Irish Open between 1954 and 1975.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 19, 2011, 11:15:01 AM

Does Arlene have no qualms about hosting the Irish Open in what she would construe as British territory? Is it the Northern Irish Open?

Only so long as Johnny Joe's is left alone :D