The 140th Open Championship

Started by laoislad, July 11, 2011, 01:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: muppet on July 19, 2011, 11:33:38 AM
Realistically they should host a regular tournament on the tour first before trying a major.

If it went well then they would be in a stronger position.

Irish Open? (I'm 50% serious)
they hosted 5 or 6 senior opens in the late 90's and early 00's.

Orior

I'm working on a Hollywood joke involving Wood and Holly, but i aint getting it. Neither is she.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tubberman

McIlroy just tweeted this - not bad  :D

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stephenite

Delighted for Clarke-but something is bothering me about the media reaction, or rather lack thereof to him showing up pissed to the press conference the next morning.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but if an All Ireland winning GAA captain pulled the same stunt there would be uproar, radio phone in's would go into meltdown and the whole 'they're role models and won't someone think of the children' would be trotted out.

What's the difference here, why the hypocrisy? 

thewobbler

Stephenite, I think you're being a bit paranoid. There's always a few GAA folk not making a lot of sense in the City West / Burlington after an AI final. The rugger boys are routinely filmed having too much. Tommy Bowe after the grand slam? Ireland soccer going on the lash with journalists during the 2002 WC? 

stephenite

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 19, 2011, 11:15:01 AM
Quote from: Bensars on July 19, 2011, 11:06:00 AM
What i am saying, is questioning the statement  "Judging from Arlene Foster's input to Talkback yesterday negotiations seem to be at an advanced stage to bring the Irish Open to Portrush in the next couple of years.", when at the same time the R&A  said yesterday they would look at the idea again in the autumn.

One is saying that they would consider the prospect while another gives the impression its at an advaced stage.
Does Arlene have no qualms about hosting the Irish Open in what she would construe as British territory? Is it the Northern Irish Open?

Newcastle has a worse infrastructure than Portrush so let's forget that. Nothing wrong with flattening Cushendall and adding another 9 holes to the existing course.
Will this Arlene one have any problem with the Tri colour flying atop  whichever course is chosen club house? It will still be the Irish open after all.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

whitegoodman

That is a very interesting question!

Are they happy to be see Ireland as one for the likes of Golf or Rugby but not soccer?  Hate bringing politics into this type of thing but it will be interesting to see how this pens out.

AQMP

Quote from: laoislad on July 19, 2011, 01:23:47 PM
What i am saying, is questioning the statement  "Judging from Arlene Foster's input to Talkback yesterday negotiations seem to be at an advanced stage to bring the Irish Open to Portrush in the next couple of years.", when at the same time the R&A  said yesterday they would look at the idea again in the autumn.

One is saying that they would consider the prospect while another gives the impression its at an advaced stage.
Does Arlene have no qualms about hosting the Irish Open in what she would construe as British territory? Is it the Northern Irish Open?

Newcastle has a worse infrastructure than Portrush so let's forget that. Nothing wrong with flattening Cushendall and adding another 9 holes to the existing course.
Will this Arlene one have any problem with the Tri colour flying atop  whichever course is chosen club house? It will still be the Irish open after all.

This Arlene would have a huge problem with the Tricolour flying (unless it was at the top of a bonfire).  If this comes to pass expect to see the GUI flag flying (or something similar)

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: stephenite on July 19, 2011, 12:54:17 PM
Delighted for Clarke-but something is bothering me about the media reaction, or rather lack thereof to him showing up pissed to the press conference the next morning.

I personally don't have a problem with it, but if an All Ireland winning GAA captain pulled the same stunt there would be uproar, radio phone in's would go into meltdown and the whole 'they're role models and won't someone think of the children' would be trotted out.

What's the difference here, why the hypocrisy?

The one thing I would say is that the All Ireland final last year occured in the midst of the contoversy over Brian Cowen's few pints. I was listening to RTE radio one on the MOnday morning and a presenter made the point that members of the Cork team and management had been on the radio earlier and despite the fact that there was no doubt drink taken the night before, they were remarkably clear and articulate.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Ulick

Quote from: Tubberman on July 19, 2011, 12:22:02 PM
McIlroy just tweeted this - not bad  :D

What's Ziggy doing up there?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: AQMP on July 19, 2011, 01:38:59 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 19, 2011, 01:23:47 PM

This Arlene would have a huge problem with the Tricolour flying (unless it was at the top of a bonfire).  If this comes to pass expect to see the GUI flag flying (or something similar)

If they want the IRISH open then they can bloody well fly the proper flag!
Tbc....

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AZOffaly

Fair play to big Darren, and the other lads, and it is nice to see them as normal felllas. Does anyone think there'd be a different reaction though if the Kerry or Cork or Tyrone or whomever lads were constantly pictured with pints and fags or cigars after winning an All Ireland?

Puckoon

Yes - because many GAA fans feel an ownership of their county players. These boys are out celebrating - and are well above any criticism that would be leveled at them - and I wish that the county players would be treated as such also.