Antrim v Down

Started by knockitdown, July 10, 2011, 09:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

A very witty, intelligent and constructive response......

AQMP

Quote from: Leo on July 17, 2011, 08:27:22 AM
A few incidental observations....

The paucity of Antrim supporters in a good-sized attendance suggests to me that gaelic football has serious problems in the massivly populated "nationalist" area of Belfast.

The constantly annoying annoucements about parked cars suggests that there was little co-operation between the GAA and local police or others to steward the area between Kennedy Way and the ground to prevent unwanted parking - surely some parking cones, signs and/or stewards on hand would have prevented this.

And the sooner they knock down the Colditz of a structure they call the stand in Casement the better - and hopefully they will decomission the bad-mannered stewards who loll about the place as well.

The Down support was boosted by new fans from East Belfast as they regard Down as the most loyal of Ulster counties ;)

Banana Man

Quote from: AQMP on July 18, 2011, 09:19:36 AM

The paucity of Antrim supporters in a good-sized attendance suggests to me that gaelic football has serious problems in the massivly populated "nationalist" area of Belfast.

The constantly annoying annoucements about parked cars suggests that there was little co-operation between the GAA and local police or others to steward the area between Kennedy Way and the ground to prevent unwanted parking - surely some parking cones, signs and/or stewards on hand would have prevented this.

And the sooner they knock down the Colditz of a structure they call the stand in Casement the better - and hopefully they will decomission the bad-mannered stewards who loll about the place as well.

The Down support was boosted by new fans from East Belfast as they regard Down as the most loyal of Ulster counties ;)

that being the case there must only be about 100 true gaels left in the whole of antrim based on the pish poor attendance by them  ;)

Leo

Colgan is not injured and before the break has been putting in storming performaces for An Riocht.
Fierce tame altogether

NP 76

Thought both Colgan and Murphy had left the panel a few weeks ago

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 17, 2011, 08:54:28 AM
Is it true that the giant killers from the Mournes won a game in the rain?  Is this a first or was it just a fairly light drizzle?  Has the hoodoo been beaten?

TYP,one would think that you really had nothing better to do than engage in juvenille twatter trying to get a rise from Down supporters on a public internet forum. Really a man in your position should know better should he not? You seem infatuated with slagging off your illustrious neighbours a tad too much. If it isnt St Colmans College, Newry its Down.
What is at the centre of all this, come on tell us all, where does all this stem from?..not the way id expect a headmaster of a local school to behave, not very befitting of your position imo.

On the game itself, we did what we had to beat a mediocre Antrim side who for large chunks of the game looked totally disinterested. Paddy Cunningham hid behind his man for most of the game and Dan Gordon destroyed thon wee fella in full forward. Only player up front for Antrim was Niblock who couldnt do it all himself. Antrim need to get alot of players back and weighing in fully. Poor showing from both the team and support said it all for me about them. (although im sure Hardstation was there in full voice supporting the Saffrons). Im just glad it didnt rain, because then we would have definitly been beaten. ;)
From a Down perspective there is a lot of room for improvement in all areas of the field, we know where the weaknesses are and also the strengths. I wouldnt get too wound up or worried about the gneral performance on saturday night, job done, move on, bigger and better teams to tackle. I just hope we can keep the scoreline resepectable against Cork, them being miles better than Down and all, oh and lets hope it doesnt rain, we dont want that now do we.

whitegoodman

I see Kenny Archer of the Irish News must be a Burren man.....

He gave Anton McArdle a rating of 6.5 and Kalum King only 6 ;)

PAULD123

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 18, 2011, 06:48:45 PM

McCardle played rightly. He wasn't spectacular but didn't do too much wrong. 6.5 is bout fair. I do think you were a bit harsh on Marty though, even fro his 1-04 he deserves more than 5. I think you are a bit biased on his potential as opposed to  his actual performnace. I think it was at least a 6. What did Irish News give him?

AQMP

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 18, 2011, 07:01:08 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on July 18, 2011, 06:48:45 PM

McCardle played rightly. He wasn't spectacular but didn't do too much wrong. 6.5 is bout fair. I do think you were a bit harsh on Marty though, even fro his 1-04 he deserves more than 5. I think you are a bit biased on his potential as opposed to  his actual performnace. I think it was at least a 6. What did Irish News give him?

An OWC top and a photo of the Queen?

whitegoodman

Maybe i was a bit harsh on Marty, just didnt think he was in the game at all.  Archer gave him an 8 mostly on the basis of his free taking and the well finished goal.  Il give him that, the goal was well finished but handed on a plate to him by Benny. 

Id try to rate Marty on the same basis as everyone else and thought on the night he was every bit as bad as maginn.  Like a lot of our boys he hasnt reached the same level as last year but hopefully as with the 4th round of the qualifiers last year he and a whole lot of others can spark into life.  Otherwise we are in serious trouble as we have won our last 3 games through individual moments of magic which wont be good enough against a team like Cork.

NP 76

Irish news gave Clarke an 8 too much in my opinion

Minder

Is "8" not Clarkes default rating no matter how well he plays?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: AQMP on July 18, 2011, 09:19:36 AM

Funnily enough, I saw a young lad running around in a Glentoran Shirt...First time i've seen one of those at Gods game.

And we do get plenty of support from East Belfast as it is in Down...Short Strand was plastered in Red and Black last year!

glens abu

Yeah Belfasts Mayor was sitting behind me in the stand with his Down shirt on along with a lot of short strand Down fans.Good luck against Cork they will need it.

snoopdog

Quote from: Minder on July 18, 2011, 08:34:27 PM
Is "8" not Clarkes default rating no matter how well he plays?
he scored 1-04 ffs what more does he need to do.
If he scored 1-04 this sat night against Cork you would all be raving about him