An Mhí v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 10, 2011, 07:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

The main difference for me is that Kildare, as wasteful as they can be, are just that bit better at hitting the target. That and the fact that they were able to dominate midfield breaks the last time out till Mark Ward came on.

I still think Shane O'Rourke should stay in the middle, he might have an easier time of it than against Joe Bergin and is a better distributor of the ball than Ward. We need someone who can track John Doyle so maybe get Seamus Kenny to stick with him the whole game, I don't know anyone else quick enough to stay with him.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dinny Breen

AZ, stop talking absolute sense.

#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: thejuice on July 12, 2011, 11:10:15 AM
We need someone who can track John Doyle so maybe get Seamus Kenny to stick with him the whole game, I don't know anyone else quick enough to stay with him.

Unless you have this fella I think you'd be playing into Kildare's hands..
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

AZ - if the winner of any game is not, by definition, the better team (on that occasion), how are we to determine which is the better team? What will be the basis for consensus and who gets the casting vote in the event of disagreement? The manual for that procedure should be a good read. What is the point of playing games, with all the expense and inconvenience it entails if the result doesn't determine which is the better team or alter any previous determination of which was the better team? That's the sort of stuff we'd expect from the likes of Frank Murphy and not lads with "Offaly" in their names.

Hardy

Quote from: Offalylad on July 12, 2011, 12:23:50 AM
Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2011, 12:12:27 AM
That's true. The loser had little enough potential to advance anyway.
I was clearly saying Kildare would be the better bet to advance late into the competition  if they won than Meath would be if they won. Smartarse.

That's exactly what you weren't doing, because if you were "clearly" saying something, it wouldn't be capable of the opposite interpretation to the one you intended. Dumbarse.

Chéad rogha

Meath are a great price for this one at 2/1, especially in Navan. Tempting to have some of that. In typical GAA style one of the teams scraped through (and has now been written off) and one team won impressively (and has now been written up), so its all set up for the supposed shock.

Declan

On present form Kildare are favourites for this game. If Meath do beat them and get to the QF that's as far as they'll go because they'll surely draw Dublin and it'll be a comforable passage to the semis with the ref giving every assistance to the Dubs for the good of the GAA ;) ;)

That will mean that Dublin are the best team in Leinster not the fact that they won the cup on Sunday

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2011, 11:20:05 AM
AZ - if the winner of any game is not, by definition, the better team (on that occasion), how are we to determine which is the better team? What will be the basis for consensus and who gets the casting vote in the event of disagreement? The manual for that procedure should be a good read. What is the point of playing games, with all the expense and inconvenience it entails if the result doesn't determine which is the better team or alter any previous determination of which was the better team? That's the sort of stuff we'd expect from the likes of Frank Murphy and not lads with "Offaly" in their names.

Hardy, you are (deliberately I suspect :D) misunderstanding me. I clearly said that if you are to evaluate both teams in isolation on their form etc, Kildare would be the better team. Just as Down are a 'better team' than Clare, Kerry in 1982 were a 'better team' than Offaly.

However, the better team on the day is not always the same thing, as there are myriad factors that can influence a one off contest.

I suspect you know exactly what I'm saying, and had Offalylad said that Meath had the potential to go further, you'd be in agreement :D

squire_in_navy_slacks

I think Meath will be in with a right shout here..............robbed of a defo goal vs kildare already they will be out to avenge the manner of the defeat, and of course to "do it for Graham" motto will be ringing in their ears

Oh to picture to picture the banty pot belly in the changing rooms after the victory.............

Is geezer adapting a Im not cutting my hair until we are out motto ??? or is he rebelling now since thay all had to wear their hair like navy seals playing for armagh ?

Royalranter

I've heard they are capping the attendance at 20,000 for 'health and safety reasons'. Pairc Tailteann will comfortably hold more than that. The official capacity is 28,000 but you'd squeeze one or two more bodies in there than that. There's gona be a scramble for tickets now because Kildare always bring a good following and you could expect 15,000 royals looking for tickets too....... luckily, i have mine already
Let em know your there

squire_in_navy_slacks

Nothing like a kildare band wagon to get things going......................................

Anyone remember that Public Enemy classic "Dont believe the Hype"....................  ;)

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 12, 2011, 11:35:31 AM
Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2011, 11:20:05 AM

Hardy, you are (deliberately I suspect :D ) misunderstanding me. I clearly said that if you are to evaluate both teams in isolation on their form etc, Kildare would be the better team. Just as Down are a 'better team' than Clare, Kerry in 1982 were a 'better team' than Offaly.

However, the better team on the day is not always the same thing, as there are myriad factors that can influence a one off contest.

I suspect you know exactly what I'm saying, and had Offalylad said that Meath had the potential to go further, you'd be in agreement :D

Drat. My rant does apply, though, to people who say, in all seriousness, "the better team lost - Kildare (well, OK - Mayo) had 80% of the possession but kicked 18 wides". How does the inability to score make you a better team than the team that beat you?

I reject your final point outright, of course.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 12, 2011, 10:59:47 AM
d) Tomás O'Connor is sent off for decapitating the Meath full back.

He'd be back to being an Offaly man then!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 12, 2011, 11:56:44 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 12, 2011, 10:59:47 AM
d) Tomás O'Connor is sent off for decapitating the Meath full back.

He'd be back to being an Offaly man then!

He IS an Offaly man.

Royalranter

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 12, 2011, 11:51:37 AM
Nothing like a kildare band wagon to get things going......................................

Anyone remember that Public Enemy classic "Dont believe the Hype"....................  ;)

What do you mean 'don't believe the hype', of course they should believe it, sure all they need to do is turn up and theyll win by 15-20 points
Let em know your there