Tyrone v Armagh

Started by ONeill, July 10, 2011, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: ONeill on July 24, 2011, 09:06:43 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 24, 2011, 08:47:31 AM
Give us your player reviews then. We need to not get carried away and dismiss the Rossies. Could shock us yet.

http://209.200.237.116/~gaabo3/board/index.php?topic=19765.msg993120#msg993120

Agree about Roscommon. Too many dismissing them.

roscommon are no mugs. donie shine will take some watching.

onefaircounty

Quote from: under the bar on July 24, 2011, 11:58:13 AM
.  He will undoubtedly go on to become one of the finest footballers in ireland.

Yes, there is absolutely no doubt at all, as you say.

trileacman

Which armagh poster was it who said about clarke making hay against old man gormley :) 

Anyone who watches errigal regularly will know what peter harte is capable of.  For a long time there has been as much excitement about his potential as there was about canavan.  He will undoubtedly go on to become one of the finest footballers in ireland.

Quote from: mackers on July 17, 2011, 09:46:31 AM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 17, 2011, 12:29:27 AM
Any word on whether Mc Keever, Toner or Swift will be back?
The most likely would be Swift, he was togged out last night and had his football gloves at the ready so he must be close. I'd throw him in for Lavery myself. Looked like Ciaran was still limping last night and I'd be surprised if he plays. Don't so sure about Toner.
Quote from: trileacman on July 17, 2011, 12:13:36 AM
The tactics: Block shall take the dangerman Clarke. Sad to think that in 8 years of success we can't find a top class man-marking corner back but anyhow.
As an Armagh man I really hope that Gormley marks Clarke. There's joy to be had there.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

onefaircounty

Did Gormley not take a few roastings in the league? Nothing particuarly unusal about thinking our new star forward could do well on an experienced defender.

Gaffer

As an Armagh man I really hope that Gormley marks Clarke. There's joy to be had there.
[/quote]

For Gormley, yes ;)
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Gaffer

Quote from: onefaircounty on July 24, 2011, 12:12:48 PM
Did Gormley not take a few roastings in the league? Nothing particuarly unusal about thinking our new star forward could do well on an experienced defender.

For the first couple of games in the league he was caught out for speed and the obituaries wrre written.

He soon sharpened up though and went on to star for both club and county.

He was MOM against Monaghan.

trileacman

Quote from: ONeill on July 24, 2011, 08:43:03 AM
Quote from: trileacman on July 24, 2011, 01:38:57 AM
Justy: Good, will be back in a starting role before long.
Penrose: Speedy, showed well. What the FF line was crying out for.
Dooher: Not really involved. Had no telling influence on the game.
Davy Harte: Same as Dooher but 2 great subs to be able to bring in.

Agree with a lot but I'd take issue with a few things here.

1 - BJP only scored a point v Joe. Joe was masterful throughout.
2 - I though Brian McGuigan was involved in a lot of good, especially in the second half when Armagh reeled off those three points at the start. He then got on the ball and settled things.
3 - Mark Donnelly rarely wasted possession. Yes, he's not your typical no.14 but sure when was the last time Tyrone had a typical anything. 1-17 and 2-13 suggests they're doing OK (despite the wides) and Donnelly has been involved in so many good things. The ball sticks to him.
4 - Thought Tommy was excellent close to goal. A real target man.
5 - Dooher was heavily involved in those last 10 minutes. Probably saw more ball than anyone.

1- I stand corrected but I'm measuring Joe to his own high standards. His display against Monaghan was the finest bit of defending I've seen in 6-7 years. A perfect performance and I mean perfect. However the teams have gotten better since then so it is no real surprise his performances haven't been just as good.
2- Also true. Its just the change in position from CHF to WHF has changed the demands on him. He fought well, especially considering he had McKeever up his ass all day but just not the old swash-buckling BMcG of old. In retrospect I may have judged him harshly but I think there's more in him.

3 and 4: Are really the one problem. I don't believe that these guys are a fearsome inside unit. Gone are the days of Mugsy, PTG, SON, even Sean C mauling of the dubs '08 springs to mind. Apart from Coney I see no exceptionally talented FF's there and even he has some way to go. When Tyrone were under the cosh in the first half, up until the goal, Tommy and Mark were second to alot of ball inside and didn't offer us enough. In those testing moments of the match it was Gormley, Joe, philly, BMcG, Colm and Harte who really shone. I worry that in future matches, in Croker against Kerry/Cork/Dublin these boys won't feature strongly enough and once again our FF line will be our undoing. We won't be playing the likes of Armagh again, the teams left are all a step, or several steps, above.

5: Dooher is calm collected and assured in possession. He slows the game, builds the phases and rarely wastes possession. The ideal man to see out a game e.g. yesterday. However he is no game changer now and I would fear for him being introduced in an environment where Tyrone are behind and we have to go chasing. Those lung busting runs are not as frequent, those miracle points a rarity and killer passing is not his forte.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Armaghgael

Quote from: maddog on July 23, 2011, 09:45:19 PM
Deserved victory for Mickey Harte and his squad. I think they will get better again if getting past the rossies which they will be massive favourites to do. Harte, Colm Kavanagh, probably stood out for Tyrone most with the 2 mcguigans excellent in patches as well. For us McKeever, Stevie, Vernon emerged with credit. On reflection this stage was about as far as i expected us to get. As far as management changes go im sure there will be plenty of calls for a clear out.

What game were you at mate?? Both were terrible
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

RealSpiritof98

From what I hear the two combined teams would not touch any of the top southern teams, but in all honesty I hope Mickey can garner another title tilt out of these players because I think they and he deserve it, thats tough coming from an Armagh man

Gaffer

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on July 24, 2011, 01:14:47 PM

From what I hear the two combined teams would not touch any of the top southern teams, but in all honesty I hope Mickey can garner another title tilt out of these players because I think they and he deserve it, thats tough coming from an Armagh man

Which southerner came out with that one?

mackers

Quote from: trileacman on July 24, 2011, 12:09:34 PM
Which armagh poster was it who said about clarke making hay against old man gormley :) 

Anyone who watches errigal regularly will know what peter harte is capable of.  For a long time there has been as much excitement about his potential as there was about canavan.  He will undoubtedly go on to become one of the finest footballers in ireland.

Quote from: mackers on July 17, 2011, 09:46:31 AM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 17, 2011, 12:29:27 AM
Any word on whether Mc Keever, Toner or Swift will be back?
The most likely would be Swift, he was togged out last night and had his football gloves at the ready so he must be close. I'd throw him in for Lavery myself. Looked like Ciaran was still limping last night and I'd be surprised if he plays. Don't so sure about Toner.
Quote from: trileacman on July 17, 2011, 12:13:36 AM
The tactics: Block shall take the dangerman Clarke. Sad to think that in 8 years of success we can't find a top class man-marking corner back but anyhow.
I've highlighted the bit of YOUR quote that I agreed with by saying what I said.  In fairness, Gormley beat Clarke to a couple of high balls that wouldn't be Jamie's strong point. When Jamie got the proper ball in he wasn't just faced by Gormley who he rounded on a few occasions but by a number of defenders who he couldn't shake off.
The players that I said I hoped would stand up, didn't. CV had a poor game for me and deserved to be taken off. Dyas was injured so we missed out there. MOR had a good first half and was called ashore AGAIN when others could have been called off before him.
Our lack of mobility in midfield was cruelly exposed as I was worried it would. Ciaran McKeever and AK were plugging holes as Tyrone's midfield and half backs poured through. Joe McMahon was awesome at FB.
The first goal was a square ball and I thought the ref was poor especially in dishing out soft yellow cards in the first half with Jamie Clarke's particularly strange. But Tyrone were easily the better team on the night and deserved their win.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good enough evening at the office, with some very decent patches of football from ourselves that the Orchard men had no answer for.

Gutted though that my bet for Tyrone to win by between 7 and 9 points just fell short! (sorry Armagh folk  ;) ).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

David McKeown

Will their be match fixing by the Gaa tonight? What I mean is can Mayo not meet the winners of Roscommon v Tyrone (incase it's Ros) but all other games be open draw?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

EC Unique

Quote from: Armaghgael on July 24, 2011, 01:00:21 PM
Quote from: maddog on July 23, 2011, 09:45:19 PM
Deserved victory for Mickey Harte and his squad. I think they will get better again if getting past the rossies which they will be massive favourites to do. Harte, Colm Kavanagh, probably stood out for Tyrone most with the 2 mcguigans excellent in patches as well. For us McKeever, Stevie, Vernon emerged with credit. On reflection this stage was about as far as i expected us to get. As far as management changes go im sure there will be plenty of calls for a clear out.

What game were you at mate?? Both were terrible

Some of Mckeever's kick passing from both play and frees was shocking. He had a poor enough game by his standards I think.

fan01

were the hell was Kevin Dyas last night that he didn't start. after all he had a brilliant game last week in Wicklow..