Tyrone v Armagh

Started by ONeill, July 10, 2011, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddgnhand

I pray Cassidy is fit the next day. Hub Hughes is shocking. How he stayed on for 70 minutes is beyond me. 

Oraisteach

OK, we tried the Healy Park back door, but I don't suppose anyone happened to noticd an unlatched side window, by any chance?

barelegs

I wouldn't be too critical of Tommy or Coney. Moriarty never let go of Coney's shirt all evening and the umpires and referee where happy enough to turn a blind eye. He kicked a great point as well when we were struggling a bit. He's going to need time and I'd be more than happy to give him it. Thought some of the ball into the full forward line was poor at times but at least there's something to work on.

Ricey was struggling on McDonnell, might have got the curly finger regardless of the yellow card. Sean O'Neill put in a great shift at wing back and Swift was very solid. Peter Harte is maturing into one of the most important players in the team.

It would have been nice to see Niall McKenna or McNabb getting 10 minutes at the end.

bigfrank

was at game and was very impressed by tyrone...they never looked like losing the game and for me that is a great bonus..yeah sure cork or maybe kerry would put teams to the sword a bit quicker but thats wat sept is for etc...armagh huffed and puffed but never had enuf to trouble a well oiled machine with a back up rig of penrose...dooher..mugsy..justy to name a few...

cant sing p hartes praises enuf up aginst aron keran who is no slouch..harte seemed to be every where and have time on the ball when no one else had...strong on ball..brave as a lion and modest and hard workin...my kind of player...ducky for me also had solid game...more 2nd half than anythin when we were well on top but still two great games back to back bodes well for him and tyrone...

people sayin joey had great game as if it was a one off or un expected..he just oozes class...never panicked..lorded it under the high ball and for a big guy in so slouch on the floor...a leader that turned iver hearty for the goal and brillant in everythin he does....an added bonus is he is a great guy and modest as f%$k

thought big sean had savage game as always and hub despite the shootin counter balanced everythin cavanagh did and pushed forward also which if anyone knows anythin about playin midfield is the first step to peggin a team back and puttin them under pressure...hub went thru a mountain of unselfish runnin and tackles and offers loads to the team...10 years on the seniors would nack that up...onwards and upwards for a team that are taking baby steps towards a leap at glory!!!

ONeill

That was slightly easier than I expected, even though Tyrone took the foot off the gas with 10 minutes left and almost allowed Armagh back into it. Luckily, McDonnell lost his nerve.

Joe McMahon - that was a pleasure to watch. From scoring the opening goal to putting on a majestic full back display he was simply sublime. A terrific performance. Swift - almost dejavu. Played a blinder, then one silly error at the end when he passed to an Armagh player which ended up with a penalty award.

Jordan had his hands full tonight and struggled at times in the first half. Gormley completely snuffed out Jamie Clarke. Ricey was finding McDonnell tough going and was fortunate to be subbed because of the yellow. Sean O'Neill mixed the good with the bad. An attacking force no doubt but not much in the way of defence. Blasted a great opportunity wide and also attempted a point in the second half when there were others better placed. Rush of blood to the head sometimes.

Hub's shooting boots were back to normal. But, he broke a fair amount of ball around the middle. Sean tried hard to create space for himself and was prominent when Tyrone hit their purple patches. I thought he looked nervous early on and fluffed a couple of chances. Colm Cavanagh is probably the clumsiest footballer on the panel but is always showing and involved. Missed a golden chance when caught in two minds. Brian McGuigan had a fine second half, scored and set up 0-3. Peter Harte was magnificent. Intelligent, brave, clinical - he has the full package. I thought Tommy played well. Brought a new dimension to the forward unit and intelligent on the ball. Could've ended up with 2-4. Donnelly was effective when moved out to CHF. Always willing and rarely wasted possession. Just wish he had more confidence to whack a few over. Coney had Moriarty hanging out of him throughout -  can't believe the umpires missed what was going on.

All-in-all the gradual improvement continues - slowly taking shape with a few rough edges.

As for Armagh - they have little to offer at the business end of the Championship. I'll say it again - if McKeever is your lynchpin you're in big trouble.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rufus T Firefly

I have to say that Saturday night football is great when the weather is favourable. Lovely evening for a game, really big crowd and great atmosphere. Healy Park is a lovely ground but Omagh itself is a curse to get in and out of.

As for the match itself, I'm not overly disappointed. In days gone by when Tyrone beat us, you could justifiably say that an All ireland had been thrown away. Not this time. The reality is that Tyrone are a better team and we are some way off the top. Given that we are playing superior opposition, it is vital that we play with absolute heart and determination, and keep mistakes to a minimum. I thought the first half hour was as good as I have seen from us. We were doing well at midfield where Toner seemed to be on fire, and there was good ball going in - from my vantage point low down at the far end of the pitch, BJP and MOR were featuring, getting out in front. We led 6-3, and although Tyrone pulled us back, and were beginning to make penetrating runs through our defence, there was no immediate cause for alarm. The goal changed all that.

There didn't seem to be much danger - Hearty was challenged by Joe McMahon and dropped the ball. The situation was still in control, as the ball bounced favourably. However inexplicably, rather than gathering, he chose to play the bouncing ball with his foot, attempting to pass across the face of the open goal. The pass went to a Tyrone man and a goal resulted.

McGuigan added a quick point and half time came alomst immediately - at just the right time for us. To be fair, the team came out all guns blazing, and had the first three points, but Tyrone again got into their stride again began finding holes through our defence. The second goal duly arrived and to be honest was coming. We had lost our earlier midfield control and Tyrone were sweeping up everything around the middle.

To be fair, the lads kept trying but I felt at that stage that the game was gone. We got a lifeline with the penalty but Stevie - going for a goal - put it over, and that was that.

As I say, the better team won, although I thought we gave it a good shot, but were undone by a couple of terrible errors. Nobody really stood out for me, although most showed well in patches. For Tyrone, Harte was prominent, but Joe McMahon was exceptional.   

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2011, 11:55:27 PM
That was slightly easier than I expected, even though Tyrone took the foot off the gas with 10 minutes left and almost allowed Armagh back into it. Luckily, McDonnell lost his nerve.

Joe McMahon - that was a pleasure to watch. From scoring the opening goal to putting on a majestic full back display he was simply sublime. A terrific performance. Swift - almost dejavu. Played a blinder, then one silly error at the end when he passed to an Armagh player which ended up with a penalty award.

Jordan had his hands full tonight and struggled at times in the first half. Gormley completely snuffed out Jamie Clarke. Ricey was finding McDonnell tough going and was fortunate to be subbed because of the yellow. Sean O'Neill mixed the good with the bad. An attacking force no doubt but not much in the way of defence. Blasted a great opportunity wide and also attempted a point in the second half when there were others better placed. Rush of blood to the head sometimes.

Hub's shooting boots were back to normal. But, he broke a fair amount of ball around the middle. Sean tried hard to create space for himself and was prominent when Tyrone hit their purple patches. I thought he looked nervous early on and fluffed a couple of chances. Colm Cavanagh is probably the clumsiest footballer on the panel but is always showing and involved. Missed a golden chance when caught in two minds. Brian McGuigan had a fine second half, scored and set up 0-3. Peter Harte was magnificent. Intelligent, brave, clinical - he has the full package. I thought Tommy played well. Brought a new dimension to the forward unit and intelligent on the ball. Could've ended up with 2-4. Donnelly was effective when moved out to CHF. Always willing and rarely wasted possession. Just wish he had more confidence to whack a few over. Coney had Moriarty hanging out of him throughout -  can't believe the umpires missed what was going on.

All-in-all the gradual improvement continues - slowly taking shape with a few rough edges.

As for Armagh - they have little to offer at the business end of the Championship. I'll say it again - if McKeever is your lynchpin you're in big trouble.
Have they another Sam in them?

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 24, 2011, 12:10:19 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2011, 11:55:27 PM

Have they another Sam in them?

Not at the minute but it's taking shape very like 2008.

Away in Louth, read Longford
Home to Westmeath, read Armagh
Croke v Mayo, read Roscommon.

ross4life

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 23, 2011, 11:25:17 PM
Have we ever met the Rossies before?
I think it's the first championship meeting between the sides, obviously we met in the league & our last meeting (8 years ago)we won by one point.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on July 24, 2011, 12:14:55 AM
Not at the minute but it's taking shape very like 2008.

Away in Louth, read Longford
Home to Westmeath, read Armagh
Croke v Mayo, read Roscommon.

Tough puzzle this one.

But I'll try it.

If they beat Ros and get Kerry, read Kildare?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Read Fly Fishing by JR Hartley.

Fuzzman

I'm probably being hard on Coney and Tommy. I was too far away to see the pulling and dragging though saw it on Penrose. Unreal how umpires just let it go.

supersarsfields

Tyrone - £10 all Ireland.

It'll never pay of!!

borderfox

Tyrone will eat Roscommon.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on July 24, 2011, 12:23:17 AM
Read Fly Fishing by JR Hartley.

I did, you can't bait it!
MWWSI 2017