Six Nations 2012

Started by Karl Kennedy, July 09, 2011, 09:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 09, 2012, 03:37:00 PM
Unfortunately 6 days is too short a time to start chopping the team.

If a holistic approach was taken to the backline and the better players were put in more key positions, it would be O'Gara at 10, Sexton 12 and Bowe 13. Earls and Trimble, or whoever else on the wings.
However its too late to completely re-arrange it at this stage.

At least we know France will probably attempt to target the centres in a big way and we can set up the defence accordingly. I'd be surprised if Darcy and Earls are left isolated when France are on the attack. You'll see other players designated to help defend those channels.

So to solve our centre problems you want to put in a flyhalf and a winger.  Is it too much to ask to play your best players in each position in the position they actually play in.

Currently as will be seen tomorrow night for Ulster, Paddy Wallace is the best performing inside centre we have who is actually playing in that position, this was shown against top quality sides in Leicester and Clermount.  Up until his injury Darren Cave is the best outside centre that we have that is currently playing in that position and was fit.  As he is injured next in line is unfortunately Earls who I agree isnt the answer.  Thats where we are until Drico returns and in the long term until Cave, O Malley and Spence are ready.

As for the game on Saturday il be watching it with my hands over my eyes for fear at what the french backrow and midfield will do to our midfield.

A win on saturday and il be delighted but what type of win and performance is also important.

A poor quality game, whilst leaving me delighted will still lead me to believe that we have problems.

A high quality game, with new tactics, will be an admission by Kidney that he got it wrong against Wales. (Im not expecting this)

A high quality game, with the same tactics will have me very happily admit that Deccie was right and I will eat humble pie like a few others on here might have to ( im not expecting this either)

AZOffaly

Earls mightn't get a chance to mature at a centre at Munster it appears. Casey Laulala has been signed from Cardiff, along with Downey from Northampton. Mafi must be worried, and Earls is probably headed back to the wing I'd say.

DuffleKing

Surely Downey will be a squad player at Munster?

AZOffaly

Depends. Downey could start for his defensive strength and to use him as crash ball carrier.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2012, 11:18:43 AM
Depends. Downey could start for his defensive strength and to use him as crash ball carrier.

He will give Munster good options and Munster were always at their best with a strong ball carrying 12 (Henderson, Halstead, Tipoki).  Won't play every game but will feature a lot.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 10, 2012, 11:29:08 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2012, 11:18:43 AM

He will give Munster good options and Munster were always at their best with a strong ball carrying 12 (Henderson, Halstead, Tipoki).  Won't play every game but will feature a lot.

That's the way I'd see it too.

whitegoodman

The signing of Laulala means that either one of Mafi or Howlett wont get another contract.

Under normal circumstances there wouldnt be much of a decision here but the fact that Howlett is 38, has had a bad injury and Munster now have Earls,Zebo, Murphy and Hurley to fill the wings makes it more interesting.  Add to that the fact that imo Mafi is a lot better player than Downey.

If Munster wanted to go for the crash ball centre they could have went for Ian Whitten.  Younger, faster and better hands than Downey. Maybe Ulster wouldnt part with him though with Wallace in front of him and Marshall coming through I dont see him getting much game time at 12.

Dinny Breen

I think tomorrow night is going to be a long night for Irish rugby. Looking at the two back lines only O'Gara would make it in and that's because he can control a game, Trinh-Duc like Sexton is too inconsistent at international level. As for the two respective packs we have the edge with Healy, Best, O'Connell and Heaslip. So bascially in a composite team we would have 5 players and one of those isn't starting, if it wasn't Ireland that France are playing I'd be all over the handicap.

Hope I am wrong.
#newbridgeornowhere

Keane

Saying ROG would start for France is a joke.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Keane on February 10, 2012, 05:45:31 PM

Why?

Out-half is a problem position for France hence a scrum-half was there starting 10 in the World Cup, Trinh-Toc has been given plenty of opportunities and has failed to nail his place, he is short of size and speed, not a particularly good kicker and frequently appears to take too much out of the ball.  Boyet would be my choice is not in the squad, Skrela is injured the other out-half in the squad, Beauxis, has no running game and struggles to get his back line attack going.

So rather than disparage my opinon with a pointless comment you could have offered some rebuttal.  Pfft!!
#newbridgeornowhere

gawa316

What ever happened to Michalak (sp?)?

Dinny Breen

Back playing with the Sharks in SA I think.
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 10, 2012, 05:56:53 PM
Quote from: Keane on February 10, 2012, 05:45:31 PM

Why?

Out-half is a problem position for France hence a scrum-half was there starting 10 in the World Cup, Trinh-Toc has been given plenty of opportunities and has failed to nail his place, he is short of size and speed, not a particularly good kicker and frequently appears to take too much out of the ball.  Boyet would be my choice is not in the squad, Skrela is injured the other out-half in the squad, Beauxis, has no running game and struggles to get his back line attack going.

So rather than disparage my opinon with a pointless comment you could have offered some rebuttal.  Pfft!!

Don't often agree with Dinny on rugby matters but he's pointing out the elephant in the room with this French team.

Trinh-duc is a terribly inconsistent FH and nowhere near the standard that this French team plays at. He's mediocre at club level too and has the 10 jersey simply because the other options Skrela and Beauxis (a full-back at fly-half) have no ability at all in delivering ball to the threatening backs the French have.

Michalaks career bombed shortly after he led a Toulouse team to defeat against Glasgow in the fortress Stade Toulousain. To be fair whilst he was a decent FH he was to small in stature and too light to continue at international level.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 10, 2012, 05:32:06 PM
I think tomorrow night is going to be a long night for Irish rugby. Looking at the two back lines only O'Gara would make it in and that's because he can control a game, Trinh-Duc like Sexton is too inconsistent at international level. As for the two respective packs we have the edge with Healy, Best, O'Connell and Heaslip. So bascially in a composite team we would have 5 players and one of those isn't starting, if it wasn't Ireland that France are playing I'd be all over the handicap.

Hope I am wrong.

Heaslip is living of past reputation in my opinion. Has not been up to scratch for a while now in an Ireland shirt and if I was the coach I would drop him and play O'Brien at 8 and play a better openside at 7.

trileacman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2012, 10:16:26 AM
Earls mightn't get a chance to mature at a centre at Munster it appears. Casey Laulala has been signed from Cardiff, along with Downey from Northampton. Mafi must be worried, and Earls is probably headed back to the wing I'd say.

Thinks its a pity that with all their resources Munster can't develop players in positions that they struggle with. Problem with the front row? Hire a Springbok. Problem with the centres? Hire a Pacific lad. It'll be the same in a few years time when ROG hangs up his boots.