Celebrity Bainisteoir

Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, July 05, 2011, 12:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

I'd still have the Seoiges in charge of some team. Have to have something to look at!

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on November 06, 2011, 09:41:35 PM
I'd still have the Seoiges in charge of some team. Have to have something to look at!

Suppose they would guarantee a good turn out for training!

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 06, 2011, 09:37:30 PM
Would like to see more sports people on CB.

Dearbhla O'Rourke
Tony Ward
Denis Irwin
John Tracey
Michael Curruth
Padraig Harrington
Sean Kelly
Ken Doherty
Kevin O'Brien

With sport celebrities, i fell there can be more experience of their descipline, commitment, psychology and confidence brought to the table. They may not know the ends and out of Gaelic football. But i'd be more interested in the different views they might bring to the game.

I find the TV celebrities to out of touch with sport in general, and offer these nothing more than media attention!

You don't know the ins and outs of your idioms. :P
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Why was Matthew Clancy only a sub? He was wearing 18 anyway. And he seemed to do wreck when he came on.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 07, 2011, 03:43:32 PM
Why was Matthew Clancy only a sub? He was wearing 18 anyway. And he seemed to do wreck when he came on.

You'll have to translate for us slow westerners.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

He caused a lot of damage when he came on. Score 3 points in extra time I think?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 07, 2011, 03:43:32 PM

He was carrying an injury. Only came on for extra-time. Scored 0-3 almost immediately. Could well have been the difference had he been fit to play the whole game alright. Oughterard also lost their other best player Joe Joe Greaney before extra-time which is why Killeshin suddenly started winning lots of possession.

The Biff

If there is a new Thread on this somewhere covering this year's series, then I cant find it.  But I suppose I've been absent for quite a long while from these parts, so maybe I've forgotten where to look.

Anyway .... here's the most Prime-Time-scheduled GAA-related show on RTE at the moment and there seems to be feck-all interest on it around these parts.  Do the purists among you really have no interest?

Are there any players here who have actually taken part in this in the past, i.e. their team has featured?  Given the lack of any useful knowledge of this year's crop of BainisteoirĂ­, I presume that the teams are really relying on their own Training resources.  This year's TV programmes seem to spend more time showing the "Celebrities" making eejits of themselves AWAY from the field, and even less action than before.  But I suppose the series is hoped to appeal to the non-GAA devotees, so that's understandable.

The main lesson learned from last night's show ..... Sandwiches are best made by the ladies.   ;)
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

Hardy

I don't know if I could be considered a purist, Biff, but I certainly have no interest in this shite. It starts from the disadvantage that it's "reality TV" and so is shite by definition. Maybe I'm prejudiced by my pathological loathing of this format in general, but I think it cheapens the sport to have this shoddy showbiz nonsense promoted as if it were a real competition.

I don't like it.

Hardy

P.S. I'm sorry I missed the alliterative possibilities of "shoddy showbiz shite" in the above. Shucks.

ballinaman

I was working with Tramore in their match with Tullow in the 1st round this year. The team were locked out of the dressing room at half time for 5 minutes in the driving rain while they set up cameras to film them coming in. Absolute joke.

Asal Mor

I must confess to enjoying this show. It is utter shite but once you get past that it can be quite enjoyable. It means a lot to the teams involved and the GAA teams always come out of it well i think. They show a lot of patience and kindness to the idiot bainisteoiri and even humor them by cheering their awful motivational speeches. It usually goes something like "Listen lads, I know nothing about this game, but I'll put my heart and soul into this". Not surprising since a lot of the celebs have come from the reality TV music shows where contestants are forever telling us that " I really put my heart and soul into that song". They're all heart and soul, these people.

johnneycool

Quote from: ballinaman on October 15, 2012, 12:17:12 PM
I was working with Tramore in their match with Tullow in the 1st round this year. The team were locked out of the dressing room at half time for 5 minutes in the driving rain while they set up cameras to film them coming in. Absolute joke.

Well it is a TV show.

sheamy

Quote from: Hardy on October 15, 2012, 11:59:57 AM
I don't know if I could be considered a purist, Biff, but I certainly have no interest in this shite. It starts from the disadvantage that it's "reality TV" and so is shite by definition. Maybe I'm prejudiced by my pathological loathing of this format in general, but I think it cheapens the sport to have this shoddy showbiz nonsense promoted as if it were a real competition.

I don't like it.

Only a Looney could create such a show

armaghniac

QuoteOnly a Looney could create such a show

The fact that they continue to show it suggests that they have a reasonable audience. So it meets the requirements of a TV programme. I think it is positive enough in GAA terms, showcasing things to a general audience and providing a bit of a boost to the clubs involved.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B