Armagh Vs Derry

Started by Uladh, March 06, 2007, 03:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

say nothin

That was a poor showing today..

Derry didnt kick many wides today. everything seemed to go between the sticks, while armagh tended to drop them short, more so in the 2nd half..

division 2 awaits IMO.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThat was pretty awful stuff.  Why do we persist on playing the long ball in to the full forwards when it isn't working?  On days like this the half forwards need to work the ball up the field to make things easier.  Lots of work to do...

Well God help us if we're looking at the half forwards to do anything because we don't have any, they can't even be where they're suppose to be when the ball is played into them.  On at least five occasions today, in the first half, the ball was played into the half forward line and picked up by a Derry player because there was no one there!  Did Paddy McKeever touch the ball at all? Martin O'Rourke only played in the last 10 minutes though he did take a good point in the first half.  If Charlie Vernon is better at going forward than defending david, then forget about him.  He was caught sleeping and kicking the ball away several times.  Mal Mackin, as expected, useless.  Stevie left the shooting boots at home but his heart must drop when he hears who's lining out beside him.  Keenan only played in the last 10 minutes as well and was far too deep but that's not his fault.  McGrane worked hard, Lavery didn't make much of an impact.  Half back line destroyed.  Derry walked through them with ease. Improved when Mcgeeney came on and it just showed the difference between McGeeney and McKeever.  Would someone f**king hit JP Donnelly a slap, must he act the bollocks off the ball? Does he set out to get booked every game? 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

thebandit

pintsofguinness

Yeah for Mal Mackin in the first half.  Hardly seen the ball. 

Smokin Joe

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 11, 2007, 04:34:12 PM
  Would someone f**king hit JP Donnelly a slap, must he act the bollocks off the ball? Does he set out to get booked every game? 

I agree, but he was Armagh's best performer when he came on.

Our problem is very simple, when you have only one scoring forward you leave it easy for the opposition to nullify you.  
McGuckian had Stevie shackled very well today, but don't forget (as Say Nothin said) Derry kicked absoultely everything over the bar today - which made us look even worse than we were.

Uladh

A shocking performance from armagh. after a dismal start to the campaign, it looked like we might be heading in the right direction but today took the biscuit.

outfought entirely through the game and for long periods in the first half and early in the second, were dominated in every sector.

If there is  no target man capable of winning ball, don't kick it in there. If there is noone making themselves available in the half forward line, don't kick the ball there. but we don't have any intelligent footballers.

honourable mentions for the full back line who fought admirably with absolutely no cover and held their men well.

as expected, the half back line were decimated. i don't know what ciaran mc keever is at. gilligan pulled all the strings in the first half and he traipsed aroung 5 yards behind him. on top of that, the derry midfield poured down the centre of our defence like every opposition does now. the gaps in the heart of the armagh defence must be the biggest joke in the country. paudi mccreesh worked tirelessly but just isn't a good enough footballer at this level. the amount of times the ball ended up in his hands going forward and he just sliced it up in the air or stopped and turned to fist it backwards. i felt sorry for mcclelland. he was exposed cruelly today as a plodder and was lucky to last 25 minutes. has kevin dyas done something on joe?

midfield worked away but i expected more from mcgrane. maybe its still a bit soon after injury to expect him to be his majestic self, but lavery offered nothing. james conway raced unopposed through the armagh centre so many times and he's avery average footballer.

on the whole the half forwards were poor. vernon was a lost sheep. he had no clue how to play centre forward and i think its unfair sticking him in there. paddy mc was his usual lazy, disappearing self interwoved with a couple of flashes of class. marty o'rourke was outstanding in the second half. only for his showing for the ball and tackling it would've been a whole lot worse.

The inside line were tied up in knots. mcguckin never gave stevie a sniff and mc cloy was commanding at full back, particularly against mackin but also on diarmaid. paul keenan must have photos of joe that he doesn't want to get out. i thought he was the worst player on the field in the first half and i don't know how he lasted to half time. nothing makes my blood boil more than a lad who pulls out when the ball is there to be won.

Eight points down and chasing the game, what does joe do? takes on a midfielder and pushes lavery up into the forward line. lavery is an honest trier, but prolific he will never be. miceal o'rourke sat on the bench throughout and joe brings on a lad for the last 10 minutes who couldn't handle the speed and physicality of the mckenna cup!

Derry were excellent throughout. McGuckin, McCloy and lockhart were imperious in defence and sm  & mccloy gave a masterclass in how to shore up the centre of the defence. you'll not concede much if you only allow the opposition to get the ball at the sideline or 60 yards from your goal. doherty also contributed greatly to how they aachieved that also.

up front, lynch showed glimpses of pace and power and outcassed mcclellend early on but gilligan tore mckeever to shreds and was involved in everything good derry did.

woe is us.

Louis the Red

Quotedivision 2 awaits IMO.

It's looking more like Division 3  :-[

Orior

An early exit from the 2007 championship, and Division two next year is just what we need to get rid of the old guard and start planning for the 2010 championship.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Uladh

Quote from: Orior on March 11, 2007, 05:25:40 PM
An early exit from the 2007 championship, and Division two next year is just what we need to get rid of the old guard and start planning for the 2010 championship.

You'll get your wish

pintsofguinness

Quotenothing makes my blood boil more than a lad who pulls out when the ball is there to be won.
Well I'll tell you what makes my blood boil!!
Players who don't even make an impact at club level constantly getting chance after chance with the county.  McClelland and McCreesh, you'd be a long time picking them out as county players at a club game, getting chance after chance when you've got the likes of Vernon played out of position, Dyas on the bench, even JP Donnelly on the bench.  What is the sense with that?  To show the county Aaron can't be done without?  The same can be said for Forker, Keenan and Mackin when you've Micheal O'Rourke, Toal or Swift on the bench. 

holylandsniper

Toal, Swift nor Dyas were togged out, think Tony deserved a chance following great Minor & U21 displays but has showed he's not for the step up, Joe was constantly shouting at Charlie but it wasn't Charlie's fault, like he done wit Dyas in Kildare put someone into a pivotal position who isn't capable of playing there.
QuoteDon't agree about Vernon from what I've seen of him in recent weeks he seems as good if not better going forward than defending
I think that is correct he is better with the ball attacking rather than back to goal given the ball.  Armagh down the middle today was desperate, C McKeever was poor as was paddy. Thought Enda and Andy probably our best players, and Martin O Rourke in the forwards, First half Stevie wasn't getting the ball, at start he was because of poor passes but he persisted to sit behind man waiting on ball, 
Armaghs loss is Cavans gain, as the brains of the team seems to have moved on.  Granted there was more unavailable on sidelines than subs still no excuses.
Pints I don't think Aaron is the answer, yes probably he'll get on but he would have struggled with Lynch today because he can't defend.

pintsofguinness

QuotePints I don't think Aaron is the answer, yes probably he'll get on but he would have struggled with Lynch today because he can't defend.
Oh I know that but what I was saying was, why keep playing two incapable half backs, is Joe afraid he might actually find someone that will keep aaron out of the team. 

holylandsniper

Well he has not much of a choice at the minute, but yes he probaly is afraid of change incase our Aaron will have a battle on his hands for hsi place, maybe thats why he twicew he put two players who arent Centre Half Forwards wearin No.11, who would he havbe in mind to come in and save day...mmm i wonder who

Horatio Kane

Would someone f**king hit JP Donnelly a slap,

No shortage of volunteers here..........Judas Priest.....you have it coming!! :D