Wexford v The Dubs. Leinster Final

Started by boro, July 01, 2011, 12:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boro

Don't see any thread up on this yet.

Dublin are red hot favourites (and rightly so) but i know the Wexford team are quietly confident. The memories of the 2008 showing are still raw for us Wexford supporters, but we will be hoping for a performance closer to last year when we really should have beaten the Dubs in the first round. In my opinion this Wexford team is far better than the one that reached the all-ireland semi in 2008. Much stronger at midfiled, tighter full back line and a better spread of scoring forwards. (but minus Matty). How we deal with the two Brogans is going to be key for us, stop them and you stop the dubs (but how you do it is a different story).

What de ye reckon?

Denn Forever

Its hard to anything but a Dublin win but Connolly would be the one I'd be worried about (that is if hes allowed to finish the 70 minutes).  Wexford are a dynamic, perpetual motion team but then again so are Kildare.

I'm hoping that Wexford don't freeze and Dublin don't hype themselves out of it.

Dublin I reckon.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Croí na hÉireann

Very good Wexford team but the full back line is the achilles heel, the Brogans and Connolly will tear it apart. I'd start Banville the next day and take Redmond out to the 40 where he's more influential. The game will be won in the middle third I feel, whoever comes out on top here and feeds early ball inside will win as both forward lines are stronger than the opposing defenses. McCauley is out I'd say so a lot depends on how Fennell/McConnell slot in, Dubs by 4 I'd say.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Was an interested spectator at the Carlow game, Adrian Flynn really impressed me for Wexford, looks a natural talent. However Carlow were the better team in the 1st half against Wexford and based on that and Wexfords lack of midfield, really can't see anything but a Dublin victory.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bogball XV

I saw the Dubs were 1/6 with paddypower, bit short?? 

ardchieftain

Can't see Wexford winning but they will give the dubs a run for their money.
Will be backing Wexford on the handicap methinks

ross4life

Wexford at 5-1  :o  & gave the dubs a fright the last time they played them. Wexford have four good scoring forwards that will trouble Dublin's back line but key to winning or losing will be how they hold Dublin's forward power.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 01, 2011, 12:28:54 PM
Was an interested spectator at the Carlow game, Adrian Flynn really impressed me for Wexford, looks a natural talent. However Carlow were the better team in the 1st half against Wexford and based on that and Wexfords lack of midfield, really can't see anything but a Dublin victory.
Thought that carlows fans made the first half seem like the teams were competing. A gallant effort from a team with new found confidence and momentum. Wexford got steadily better until the gam was over after 45 mins. They took it handy after that. Wexford are big and their midfield huge- Inc the two midfield subs that came on!
They destroyed the highly rated twin 6'5" Brendan Murphy and former Wicklow owned star Tommy(?) Walsh - when he was soon moved back I lar Na pairce.
Wexford have a 2-2-2 forward formation with breaking ball winners alongside midfielders . 4 scoring forwards and bringing banville on too!
IMO they could very realistically beat Dublin if the dubs show the same problems in attack and midfield next day out ( Kildare didn't fully fire and their key men got inj which helped Dublin)
I cannot believe how people are writing Wexford off! I can see them winning it!
I've been wrong before!

Hill16 Blues

Dublin were comfortable and in control v Kildare till o'gara got the line. Dublin defense looks very solid now and attack has ability to score hatful of goals. Both against Laoise & Kildare Dublin could have/should have had 4/5 goals. Midfield though not settled with injuries and changing of plairing for each game. Dublin do still win decent supply of ball however. Wexford do look like decent team and am sure will put it up to Dublin as they did last year. They've put up big scores in each game plus they've played and have confidence & momentum coming into game. Fair play to them.

Think though when all is said and done Dublin are battle hardened team who themselves are building momentum and confidence. Not quite firing fully yet but should have a bit to spare. Will definitely not be 23 point win this time - 4/5 I would expect.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 01, 2011, 09:33:49 PM
Thought that carlows fans made the first half seem like the teams were competing. A gallant effort from a team with new found confidence and momentum. Wexford got steadily better until the gam was over after 45 mins. They took it handy after that. Wexford are big and their midfield huge- Inc the two midfield subs that came on!
They destroyed the highly rated twin 6'5" Brendan Murphy and former Wicklow owned star Tommy(?) Walsh - when he was soon moved back I lar Na pairce.
Wexford have a 2-2-2 forward formation with breaking ball winners alongside midfielders . 4 scoring forwards and bringing banville on too!
IMO they could very realistically beat Dublin if the dubs show the same problems in attack and midfield next day out ( Kildare didn't fully fire and their key men got inj which helped Dublin)
I've been wrong before!

you must have been enjoying that corporate hospitality too much, Wexford's midfield was big and ponderous. Jason Ryan seemed to agree, he took them both off, I had the pleasure of sitting behind him for most of the game...
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

IMO he took them off after they had destroyed their highly regarded illustrious direct opponents - to blood two alternatives with match time for the next day out. The big Doyle chap user to be a regular starter - maybe he is being eased back into it.... Either way wexfords midfielders easily won their battles and their team dominated the midfield area- both Carlow lads sought refuge on the wings to try to win some ball as they couldnt hack it in the centre zone!
Jason Ryan also replaced Barry with bannville , wasn't because red wad playing badly ...but to give another contender game time.
IMO obv  - but I think Wexford have the tools, the only question is their temperament ad they have bottled it on many occasions Inc last year ( or was it the year before) on that wet day in croker when streets ahead and Dublin beat, they capitulated. Imo this is their biggest problem - the mental strength and belief aspect , they have the players and the tactician manager!

boro

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 01, 2011, 10:51:35 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 01, 2011, 09:33:49 PM
I've been wrong before!

you must have been enjoying that corporate hospitality too much, Wexford's midfield was big and ponderous. Jason Ryan seemed to agree, he took them both off, I had the pleasure of sitting behind him for most of the game...

In fairness Dinny, the wexford midfield destroyed their offaly and westmeath counterparts and did the same to a much vaunted Carlow pairing in the second half of the game. They were taken off when the match was won. If they don't win clean ball they nearly always break it for the likes of Morris and Bradley to hoover up. That's the reason why one of the best u-21 midfielders in the country is warming the bench

Dinny Breen

Hmm, no question they dominated the 2nd half but for long periods in the first half I thought Carlow were on top there, must have been watching a different game, wouldn't be first time  :-[

I think Wexford's biggest issue going into this game is that they will be very undercooked, they've had 3 games that have turned into facile victories, Dublin would have learned a lot more about themselves after the Kildare game, if the game is tight that experience will be fresh in there minds. 

I think Jason Ryan is doing a fantastic job but I don't think his middle 8 won't be able to compete with the power and pace of Dublin, they have a fighters chance but need 3 goals to win it (not beyond the realms of possibility).
#newbridgeornowhere

boro

If wexford play like they did in the first half against carlow, Dublin will beat us out the gate. We were lucky that Carlow didn't have any forwards to hurt us. Dublin will be a whole different ball game. I'd be hoping that half was an anomaly and it's out of the lads system now. Being favourites obviously didn't suit us. The good thing about the team this year is that we have been putting teams to the sword in the second half so Jason obviously has them super fit. I'm looking forward to the final in hope rather than confidence, but here's hoping :)

squire_in_navy_slacks

As a dublin fan I hope its a draw............more games the better for us