Flags & Culture.....

Started by front of the mountain, July 01, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isourboydownyet

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 04, 2011, 12:49:00 PM
Quote from: isourboydownyet on July 04, 2011, 11:39:07 AM
Quote from: laoislad on July 01, 2011, 11:46:19 PM
Could be worse lads,there are all Dublin flags around the place where I live so just remember there is always someone worse off than yourself.

sure the dubs flags are usually down by the end of july or early august,the jacks are normally up until september!
Bad choice of words Ourboy, LL's interpretaton of the term 'jacks' is different from yours.

LL in nordie speak, 'jack' may refer to the Union Flag as flown by the UK.

isourboydownyet in mexican, 'jack' may refer to a dub, 'jackeen' is a boord dub.

no shit sherlock  :D

muppet

Quote from: isourboydownyet on July 04, 2011, 01:07:03 PM
Could be worse lads,there are all Dublin flags around the place where I live so just remember there is always someone worse off than yourself.

sure the dubs flags are usually down by the end of july or early august,the jacks are normally up until september!
Bad choice of words Ourboy, LL's interpretaton of the term 'jacks' is different from yours.

isourboydownyet in mexican, 'jack' may refer to a dub, 'jackeen' is a boord dub.

Bad choice of words Ourboy, LL's interpretaton of the term 'Shelock' is different from yours.

LL in nordie speak, 'Sherlock' may refer to the fictional detective.

isourboydownyet in mexican, 'Sherlock' may refer to a dub, 'jackeen' is a boord dub.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on July 04, 2011, 02:17:37 PM
Bad choice of words Ourboy, LL's interpretaton of the term 'Shelock' is different from yours.

Yeah, a Shelock(ibooky) is a snail

isourboydownyet

isourboydownyet in mexican, 'Sherlock' may refer to a dub, 'jackeen' is a boord dub.

never rated jason anyway ::)

Bogball XV

Quote from: isourboydownyet on July 04, 2011, 03:13:29 PM

never rated jason anyway ::)
Now, you and LL are speaking the same language!  btw, what you've just said is known as 'sacrilege' in dubspeak

snoopdog

In Burren and up the Armagh Road in Newry i have seen Barcelona flags. ABU bigots.

Nothing worse than those shower of p***ks.

Newry looked splendid last September with all the flags and Buntings pity that prod sam maguire never turned up for his fooking party.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: snoopdog on July 04, 2011, 05:07:23 PM
In Burren and up the Armagh Road in Newry i have seen Barcelona flags. ABU bigots.

Nothing worse than those shower of p***ks.

Newry looked splendid last September with all the flags and Buntings pity that prod sam maguire never turned up for his fooking party.
They'll be moth-eaten before youse get to use them again.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Ulick on July 01, 2011, 03:26:30 PM
In Lurgan here at the moment the big Protestant COI church down the Fenian end of the town has not 1, 2 or even 3, but 4!!! union jacks flying out of the spire. Could you imagine the hue and cry if the Catholics hoisted up the Tricolour?
It's covered in scaffolding is it not?

firestarter

The Star of david is used to show support for the right of a state eg Israel, UK to occupy the territory of another people if they are militarily capable of doing so. However the presence of an oppressor in each respective conflict is where the similarities end. The differences between the 2 and the many reasons this action shows ignorance are too numerous to list.

The Scottish flag is flown as a tribute to the large no. of scotts who, ironically, battle hardened from their own history of oppression from England were seen as the ideal candidates to settle on the land stolen from Irish farmers in the North of the country. It remains to be seen if this flag will still be used here when Scotland inevitably votes in the 2nd Term of their current Govts time in office(a manifesto pledge by the SNP who not only were the largest party at the last election but who recieved enough of a mandate to form a majority govt) to leave our Loyalists' beloved Union. This brings us nicely on to the Union flag which itself is under threat due to the soon to be missing blue and white portion!

Applesisapples

Interesting that Scottish and Irish culture are Gaelic, for the most part, something that is ignored by our Ulster Scots loving brothers who pick and choose the parts of Scots culture that suits. Highlands and Island Scots, their language music, shinty and culture have much more in common with Irish Gaelic culture than with English culture. A point that seems to be lost on some.... Just an observation.

ziggysego

According to Billy Connolly, the Scots originally came from Ireland. They just wanted to live where it was even colder and rainier! ;)
Testing Accessibility

Applesisapples

Quote from: ziggysego on July 05, 2011, 10:29:32 AM
According to Billy Connolly, the Scots originally came from Ireland. They just wanted to live where it was even colder and rainier! ;)
He is right to a point. Ther was another poster here on a different thread who gave me a detailed summary of the history after I had posted a rather shortened version. Perhaps he could repeat it here?

Bogball XV

Quote from: ziggysego on July 05, 2011, 10:29:32 AM
which is why the rev ian always said the planters (who were also the lost tribe) were just coming back to claim their birthright.  Scot was the original roman term for the irish, and the name came to apply to scotland after the paddies took the land now known as scotland for part of their empire (sort of).  Anyway, we'll await the more detailed and accurate explanation.

Banana Man

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 05, 2011, 10:26:09 AM
Interesting that Scottish and Irish culture are Gaelic, for the most part, something that is ignored by our Ulster Scots loving brothers who pick and choose the parts of Scots culture that suits. Highlands and Island Scots, their language music, shinty and culture have much more in common with Irish Gaelic culture than with English culture. A point that seems to be lost on some.... Just an observation.

that's the irony of it, the Scots that settled here were lowland scots, I had this out with EG before but as usual he tried to rail over it.

Basically the were 2 distinct people in scotland - the highlanders who were Gaelic and the lowlanders who were Saxon/Norman/French/other and they hated each other. The lowlanders hated everything highland i.e. Dancing, bagpipes, language, kilts, yet the seriously mentally limited thugs here wouldn't realise they were of lowland stock originally and their ancestors would have deplored the highland dancing, bagpipes etc that they profess to love. The irony is unreal and never ceases to amaze me how thick these people are.

fitzroyalty

Nelson McCausland running around in his kilt is rather humorous... though technically McCausland would be a Scots-Gaelic surname I assume? Which I suppose adds to the irony  :D