Flags & Culture.....

Started by front of the mountain, July 01, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on September 04, 2013, 12:25:02 PM
OWC showing their true colours again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23958659

Just read this in the Irish News. I had to laugh at the word "oppressed". Yes, because they know what it's like to be oppressed.

Applesisapples

johnneycool

Quote from: BennyCake on September 04, 2013, 12:31:09 PM

Just read this in the Irish News. I had to laugh at the word "oppressed". Yes, because they know what it's like to be oppressed.

Who's oppressing them?
Is it the dole office?

No Soloing

I dont know which is worse - thinking it would be a good move to replace George Best with a UVF gunman - or using a Martin Luther King quote in the mural. MLK will be spinning

Nally Stand

Quote from: johnneycool on September 04, 2013, 04:41:47 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 04, 2013, 12:31:09 PM

Who's oppressing them?
Is it the dole office?

Yep. The DoleOfficeIRA. And SF IRA.

And the PSNIRA
And BBCIRA
And UTVIRA
And the Parades CommissionIRA
And the Director of Public ProsecutionsIRA
And the DUPIRA
And the UUPIRA
EtcIRA
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Oraisteach

Actually, No Soloing, an MLK quote seems appropriate.

First, you have Martin Luther and then King (God and Country).  Of course, they could have picked George Orwell:  "All animals are equal, but Somme animals are more equal than others, so they are."

And isn't painting over George Best some class of sacrilege?

No Soloing

Quote from: Oraisteach on September 04, 2013, 07:13:08 PM

First, you have Martin Luther and then King (God and Country).  Of course, they could have picked George Orwell:  "All animals are equal, but Somme animals are more equal than others, so they are."

Maybe they are getting Martin Luther and Martin Luther King mixed up - or think that they are one and the same person - and think that they used a quote from the Reformation.

red hander

Quote from: No Soloing on September 04, 2013, 07:30:54 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on September 04, 2013, 07:13:08 PM

Maybe they are getting Martin Luther and Martin Luther King mixed up - or think that they are one and the same person - and think that they used a quote from the Reformation.

I'm just shocked they have all the words spelt correctly

michaelg

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Wildweasel74

All the talk of george Best been a hero in east belfast, his wanting of 1 ireland team always did rub the locals up the wrong way, East belfast must see the uvf as more heroes than best, painting over the mural, dont see anyone from the area or unionist politicians standing up and saying its a mistake to paint over this with another loyalist mural, no better an advert for the sydenham area been full of low life scum than the locals going back to what they know best between murals , flags, marches, oh this is the life!

michaelg

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 04, 2013, 10:02:22 PM
All the talk of geogre Best been a hero in east belfast, his wanting of 1 ireland team always did rub the locals up the wrong way, East belfast must see the uvf as more heroes than best, no better an advert for sydenham area been full of low life scum
What a ridiculous post.

armaghniac

Just as we had "nationalist" spides aping the Orangement with their marches and bonfires, now we have the other side aping the Republicans with an even more ridiculous mopery.

I'm sure a lot of people in East Belfast would prefer George Best, but you can't exactly go along to these painters and suggest they discuss it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: michaelg on September 04, 2013, 10:09:05 PM
All the talk of geogre Best been a hero in east belfast, his wanting of 1 ireland team always did rub the locals up the wrong way, East belfast must see the uvf as more heroes than best, no better an advert for sydenham area been full of low life scum
What a ridiculous post.

Please explain why.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

michaelg

Quote from: Orior on September 04, 2013, 11:05:12 PM
Quote from: michaelg on September 04, 2013, 10:09:05 PM
What a ridiculous post.

Please explain why.
It is the UVF / UDA who put up the murals.  Do you think they hold some sort of local vote ffs?  As for your own comment about NI football fans, do you really think that they all condone violence / support loyalist paramilitaries?