Referees

Started by Applesisapples, June 27, 2011, 10:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

This is not a rant against Referees. Far from it. There have been many inconsistent performances this year. I know that Linesmen are now helping out but surely it is time to give them a little more power. I also compare the amount of cards given in football to a general lack in hurling where the refs only really card serious fouls. A complete overhaul of the system is required to give referees every assistance, wether it is a tmo, sinbin or whatever. The two matches I watched yesterday left defeated teams with the feeling that they had been robbed which may not have been the case. But compare the soft reds given to O'Gara and Hughes compared to the yellow for McLoone which left McMahon with concussion. I know these things even themselves out and as an Armagh man we have our own bitter experiences of poor decision making. But in this day and age we need to get respect for our Ref's and surely a TMO is the way to go.

seafoid

Hardy will blow a gasket. He has this thing about apostrophes in the wrong place.

Hardy

Not quite. That's not just an apostrophe in the wrong place.

Applesisapples

seafoid

It is far more than that.

It is a huge question mark over the whole notion of progress and the return of the Messiah.

Hardy

How do we get out of this now?

Denn Forever

Surely it would have been correct if an object noun/subject had been included e.g. Referee's whistle, Referee's incompetence?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Applesisapples

I had intended to write Referee's Performances, then changed my mind.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2011, 10:40:53 AM
This is not a rant against Referees. Far from it. There have been many inconsistent performances this year. I know that Linesmen are now helping out but surely it is time to give them a little more power. I also compare the amount of cards given in football to a general lack in hurling where the refs only really card serious fouls. A complete overhaul of the system is required to give referees every assistance, wether it is a tmo, sinbin or whatever. The two matches I watched yesterday left defeated teams with the feeling that they had been robbed which may not have been the case. But compare the soft reds given to O'Gara and Hughes compared to the yellow for McLoone which left McMahon with concussion. I know these things even themselves out and as an Armagh man we have our own bitter experiences of poor decision making. But in this day and age we need to get respect for our Ref's and surely a TMO is the way to go.

agree with this.
the way yellow cards and frees are handed out at the minute is ruining the game IMO.
I know things were changed to stop persistant fouling, but it has only served to take all physical contact out of the game and leave it a very stop start spectacle.not to mention actually encouraging diving and going down looking for the soft free and a booking for the defender.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

shawshank

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 27, 2011, 12:06:50 PM

agree with this.
the way yellow cards and frees are handed out at the minute is ruining the game IMO.
I know things were changed to stop persistant fouling, but it has only served to take all physical contact out of the game and leave it a very stop start spectacle.not to mention actually encouraging diving and going down looking for the soft free and a booking for the defender.

Ok ,whats your suggestion to stop backs from persistantly fouling forwards or to prevent teams from persistantly fouling and getting away with it?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: shawshank on June 27, 2011, 12:11:15 PM

agree with this.

Ok ,whats your suggestion to stop backs from persistantly fouling forwards or to prevent teams from persistantly fouling and getting away with it?
the reason the rules were altered was to make the game a better spectacle.
that hasnt worked.
in my opinion, all the frees and cards make it alot worse.
as somone else said. cards should only be given out fordangerous challenges as in hurling.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hardy

Quote from: shawshank on June 27, 2011, 12:11:15 PM

agree with this.

I have an idea - what about a free?

What's your suggestion to stop forwards from persistently diving, holding the defender to simulate a foul on themselves and getting away with it? What's your suggestion to stop the complete ruination of the game by penalising even accidental physical contact?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2011, 11:53:11 AM
I had intended to write Referee's Performances, then changed my mind.

Which one?

blewuporstuffed

that would be my thoughts aswell hardy.
we have got so caught up in the 'persistant fouling ' debate
every icident of contact isnt a free
every free isnt a card
to me persistant fouling is 4/5 fouls. not 2

PAULD123

I don't get this. Hughes commuted two yellow card offences. The ref didn't make him do that, it was his own choice. Especially the second one. It was totally unnecessary but completely a foul and the rules are plain. He had to be booked and walk. No point blaming the referee for it. He knew what he was doing and knew that he risked the card.

Look if a defender hauls a forward back three times in a game then he deserves to be shown the line, I think it is that simple. Hughes committed three personal fouls yesterday, the last two weren't even mistimed as they were deliberate. I don't see the debate.

The one thing I would change is that the referee should be allowed more discretion with regard to accidental fouls. A defender must be allowed to put in a tackle. If it is a genuine attempt to get the ball and just mistimed (but not dangerously so) then I would like to see a free awarded but no tick/booking given out. But every single deliberate foul should certainly go in the book.

As an alternative, I think the sin-bin experiment wasn't given a long enough run. I would like to see a player committing two deliberate non-dangerous fouls getting a yellow card and being binned for 10 minutes, if he commits another two fouls on his return then another yellow and this should of course make a red. Dangerous fouls should still get yellow cards regardless of previous fouls, with the same criteria that two cards make a red, Striking still should get a red.  Again, for simple non-dangerous mistimed tackles then I would like to see a free awarded but no tick/booking given out.