Down v Leitrim: 9/7/11

Started by DownFanatic, June 27, 2011, 12:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP 76

Ambrose played 40 mins on friday night but lacked sharpness never really got going . From what i hear Hughes is hoping to be back in contention . Eoin Mc Cartan hurt his ankle last night in training and was going well this last few weeks

Banana Man

Quote from: NP 76 on July 05, 2011, 10:09:00 AM
Ambrose played 40 mins on friday night but lacked sharpness never really got going . From what i hear Hughes is hoping to be back in contention . Eoin Mc Cartan hurt his ankle last night in training and was going well this last few weeks

cheers lad

anyone any idea of the starting line up?

snoopdog

wont make Newry on Saturday due to work, does anyone know if its broadcast live on 5fm???

Blowitupref

Quote from: snoopdog on July 05, 2011, 04:04:33 PM
wont make Newry on Saturday due to work, does anyone know if its broadcast live on 5fm???

Shannonside radio should be covering it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Worker

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Class of 99

If Colgan is fit why not have a look at him at number 3 and move Dan out to the centre

PAULD123

Just back from Hols - God I missed the craic on the boards!

James has shown himself to be conservative but also brave. Our team will be pretty much the same as every other game. we know exactly who will start if they are all fit. However as I said he has taken some brave decisions previously. The midfield has been a disaster but will probably be offered another outing against Leitrim. Dan will most likely play fullback again. The suggestions that Doyle or Colgan would be alternative fullbacks seems unusual. Neither has played that position for the county and neither has played it for their club. I'm all for moving Dan out but you have to at least put in someone who has played the position, you don't try to create a new fullback halfway through a championship campaign.

Rooney, McCardle, possibly Garvey and Murphy would be our only realistic options as replacement for Dan. It has been pointed out that Murphy and Rooney were already tried there and didn't succeed but that was a while ago and all the players have improved since then and Tally has significantly improved fitness. McCardle had one bad game and was canned but had several good games before. Garvey played much of his younger level football in this position but I'd have to say that he looks like he belongs on the wing and is our only genuine defender in that area, it would weaken us severely to move him deeper. look how Clare walked through our half back line.

Class of 99

Fair point Paul, Dan definately wasn't a natrual full back either.
If our midfield was firing on all cylinders I woul be happy to see Dan left at number 3 but at the moment I think the team would benefit more with him at midfield IMHO thus the search for a replacement number 3. I think u are right in that James will probably keep it the same as the last day, I just hope Marty does not play midfield

ross4life

C McCrann; D Reynolds, J McKeon, P Maguire; D Beck, G Reynolds, B Prior; D Lowe, D Sweeney; R Lowe, E Mulligan, C Clarke; B McDonald, J Glancy, A Croal

Some interesting changes on the Leitrim line up (five in total) Wayne McKeon kicked off the panel, Ronan Gallagher,Brennan are dropped but the biggest surprise is to also drop both Beirne's Tomas & Conor* whom both played well v Sligo.

*Have just checked the subs & both Beirne's are not on that either so all is not well in the leitrim camp.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

PAULD123

This forum has been unusually quiet, is everyone on holiday?

Sheedy, if you're around, you seemed to be in the know in advance about Marty playing midfield for the last game, any team news for us?

Has anyone heard anything else?

Banana Man

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 08, 2011, 08:28:48 AM
This forum has been unusually quiet, is everyone on holiday?

Sheedy, if you're around, you seemed to be in the know in advance about Marty playing midfield for the last game, any team news for us?

Has anyone heard anything else?

nothing much, read coulter in the democrat saying ambrose is available - seems to be very mixed reports on this, please god the big man is back

downredblack

Brendan McVeigh
Aidan Brannigan, Dan Gordon, Brendan McArdle
Conor Garvey, Kevin McKernan, Kevin Duffin
Declan Rooney Kallum King

Liam Doyle , Martin Clarke, Brendan Coulter
Conor Laverty, Paul McComiskey, Mark Poland

PAULD123

Pity for Coalan Mooney as he did very well in Clare but I guess there are only so many spaces in the forward line. Poland is a superb half forward, why put him in the corner? And what is this nonsense of lining out Paul McComiskey at full forward. I'm hoping the team will change positions and we will end up with our usual formation:

Doyle - Poland - Clarke

Laverty - Coulter - McComiskey

It is probably worth trying Rooney at midfield. Clearly Jamesy really is opposed to moving Dan Gordon. Thank goodness he didn't put Doyle at No3 as was tried out against Roscommon. At least James is trying to address our problem area. But we could still have problems as our major dirty ball winners McGinn and Hughes are both out. Also I'm Glad he has ended the experiment of Clarke playing Midfield as it just didn't work last day out.

Mourne Rover

It's a reasonable looking team for Down in the circumstances, and we have decent options on the bench as well. Depending on how things go, there is also the possiibility that Leo's prediction of a switch to midfield for big Dan could happen at some stage of the game.

Garvey's return is a big plus, as he is one of the few defenders in our squad who can make his presence felt, although it's a pity Rafferty is not ready yet. It's also a little surprising that Dan McCartan, who was reportedly excellent in the last friendly against Roscommon, did not make the cuy.

Hopefully Murphy will get a run, as substituting him less than 15 minutes after he came on in Ennis, at a time when most of our team were struggling, made little sense.

Rooney should be well capable of making an impact at midfield as we wait for Fitzppatrick to find his form and above all for Ambrose to make even a brief appearance.

Mooney is unlucky to be edged out after such a promising debut, but going for experience was the right call. The official full forward line of Laverty, McComiskey and Poland must be the smallest ever named by Down for a competitive match, but they are all fine footballers. If Laverty and McComiskey are left there by themselves, as is likely, any decent supply will leave the Leitirim defence in trouble. However, more physique will be needed if we are to progress in the qualifiers.

Hughes should be available if we get through to the next stage, and Murtagh and O'Hagan should not be away away either. Gerard McCartan is also badly needed, although he seems to have a long-term injury. but the squad is looking in better shape than it has for a while.