Ulster Senior Football Final 17th July - Derry v Donegal

Started by tbrick18, June 26, 2011, 09:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

As a neutral .....

Donegal penalty was correct call

Derry however also, clearly, should have had one for shoulder to head.

Derry without Bradley(either of them)  = woeful. It's clear Gilligan, Lynch etc are not leaders. Think WITH Skinner however Derry would have won this.

McGuinness - don't know how he did it but the change in Donegal attitude and application has been unreal.

mitchels iolair

Mcgoldrick a total joke at this level..how did he get to stay on that long..fish out of water or what...!!! Lynch never touched leather as did Deets ,  O'Boyle needs another season or two and Diver doesn't..!!! Big Friel did all he could and ironically the only player to impress was Marty Donaghy when he came on..!! I think that any disillusions about how Derry would be better balanced without either of the two Bradley's have been truely quashed today..Derry simply had no viable options up front that could cause danger..!!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: tyroneman on July 17, 2011, 07:52:20 PM
As a neutral .....

Donegal penalty was correct call

Derry however also, clearly, should have had one for shoulder to head.

Derry without Bradley(either of them)  = woeful. It's clear Gilligan, Lynch etc are not leaders. Think WITH Skinner however Derry would have won this.

McGuinness - don't know how he did it but the change in Donegal attitude and application has been unreal.

he was badly missed alright, as was Paddy, but i dont think he would have turned that defeat into a victory.

PS Congrats to Donegal, hope they go further now,
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

playerfit

Cant agree for me it was a collision and not a foul the 2 men ran into each other when they both missed ball just cause they collided does not mean there was a foul or that it should go automatically against the keeper . Donegals dominance started after that as derry heads dropped there can be no debate that pen was a major turning point.

nobackdoor

Derry were woeful today and without the Bradley bros, they are like Jackie Healy Rae without his cap.
The backdoor has ruined it

screenexile

No doubt Donegal had the better players today. Deserved? Meh! I think a team that wins Ulster should play a better brand of football.

It's not the blanket I have a problem with but the systematic fouling of Derry players trying to build an attack was scandallous and I would love to see the foul count. How there were not more yellow cards is beyond me and by all accounts Deegan got the 2 big calls wrong as well.

Having said that Derry were rudderless and had a flawed gameplan as well as the fact a number of players didn't perform. I thought our FB line, Kielt, Sean Leo, Friel and James Kielt deserve credit but the rest were poor.

Had Donegal gone man to man today they would have blown us away but as it was they struggled to beat half a Derry team. If they meet any kind of quality they will deservedly lose... Teams should go out to win games not be too scared to lose!!!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: screenexile on July 17, 2011, 08:43:25 PM
No doubt Donegal had the better players today. Deserved? Meh! I think a team that wins Ulster should play a better brand of football.

It's not the blanket I have a problem with but the systematic fouling of Derry players trying to build an attack was scandallous and I would love to see the foul count. How there were not more yellow cards is beyond me and by all accounts Deegan got the 2 big calls wrong as well.

Having said that Derry were rudderless and had a flawed gameplan as well as the fact a number of players didn't perform. I thought our FB line, Kielt, Sean Leo, Friel and James Kielt deserve credit but the rest were poor.

Had Donegal gone man to man today they would have blown us away but as it was they struggled to beat half a Derry team. If they meet any kind of quality they will deservedly lose... Teams should go out to win games not be too scared to lose!!!

they should do that now. Ulster was main target, now they have got it they should play a bit. as you say man for man they are better than derry, and they do have some good players who take scores, and several great defenders like Cassidy McGee and LAcey

mitchels iolair

ironic 2 day that 2 of derry's better player's  (best of a bad bunch...i.e. the  kielts ) were only both on as a result of one brother's deliberate attack on a  so-called fellow teammate in a recent club game...!!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: mitchels iolair on July 17, 2011, 09:07:23 PM
ironic 2 day that 2 of derry's better player's  (best of a bad bunch...i.e. the  kielts ) were only both on as a result of one brother's deliberate attack on a  so-called fellow teammate in a recent club game...!!

i get the impression you dont like a lot of the derry players

north down

Poor Ulster final to honest but I'm sure that there won't be too many complaining in Donegal. Well done Donegal, best team on the day and this winning experience will give a lot of confidence to the younger members of the squad.

mitchels iolair

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 17, 2011, 09:14:13 PM
Quote from: mitchels iolair on July 17, 2011, 09:07:23 PM

i get the impression you dont like a lot of the derry players
not true at all....just one...!!!

Any craic

It was 92 all over again when Michael Murphy lifted the cup today... http://tiny.cc/e1htz

gaagaa

Quote from: mitchels iolair on July 17, 2011, 08:17:08 PM
Mcgoldrick a total joke at this level..how did he get to stay on that long..fish out of water or what...!!! Lynch never touched leather as did Deets ,  O'Boyle needs another season or two and Diver doesn't..!!! Big Friel did all he could and ironically the only player to impress was Marty Donaghy when he came on..!! I think that any disillusions about how Derry would be better balanced without either of the two Bradley's have been truely quashed today..Derry simply had no viable options up front that could cause danger..!!

taking on mccloy was just plain silly as donegal were just going to create space in front of ff line and play it on front to exploit mccloys lack of pace - no leaders in defence at all

ross4life

TBH i'm just checking back in to see has The Stallion returned to give his views
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DoireGael

Congrats Donegal

Its a long old 2hr road home from clones after defeat
Brennans reaction on the Gaa Media player on RTE describe how I feel.
Donegal's penalty was not justified, but I have seen them given before, so fare enough
This changed the game, full stop. Derry were chasing and getting hit on the counter after it
Donegal persistantly fouled slowing Derry's play.
Derry should have had a clear cut penalty.
Mark Lynch sadly had a shocker, suprized he lasted the 70/

Terrible to watch.

Kildare I feel is to big a task for a 6 day turnover.