Armagh v Wicklow

Started by bennydorano, June 26, 2011, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Against the run of play another goal for Armagh. 2-7 to 0-9 now
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

under the bar

Tyrone folk will be happy to see armagh limping thru so they can give the wee neighbours another footballing lesson  ;)

Blowitupref

Aughrim is a tough place to go Armagh got the goals at the right times & kept Wicklow at arms length. Tyrone should have enough to beat Armagh next week.

maddog

rerun of game on now on premier sports Sky433

Gaffer

Quote from: maddog on July 16, 2011, 09:02:38 PM
rerun of game on now on premier sports Sky433

Anyone subscribe to this premier sports?
Never heard of it until now.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

David McKeown

Very grateful to TAC for his updates. Did the team start as named? Were Armagh as poor as everyone is making out? Will the Tyrone game be on tv? Anyone know where I could see it in Orlando?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

armaghniac

TK and Hanratty played, no McKeever or Brian Mallon. McParland and Padden came on for these and Finn Mo was substituted  by  V. Martin.

Padden moved to partner with Jamie and did OK.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

PadraicHenryPearse

there were two changes to the team that was named. Hanratty and Kernan started for B. mallon and mckeever i think.

best for Armagh were O'Rourke, Vernon, A. Kernan and Duffy. Mackin was the stand out player of the match for me.

Two lucky enough goals although the finish for the second was class by Clarke who played well but rarely saw the ball in the 2nd half, wicklow had most of the possession but did little with it. First goal somehow went in. When  was hit straight at the guy on the line

Just a quick note on the Armagh supporters around me. From the first second of the match we had "f**king free state ref screwing us again" comments continued during the match and we were all told at one stage "thats its not the first time the free state have screw us over".  This for me has become the norm especially at Armagh matches but with Northern teams in general and the old excuse that its only a few, is wearing pretty thin with me at this stage.

Oraisteach

Have no idea about Orlando, David, but you may wish to call this place.  Can't speak to its quality but got it from the Premium Sports site:

Bar/Venue  Lucky Leprechaun 
Address 7032 International Drive
City Orlando, FL 32819
Phone 407-352-7031

What's the area code of where you're staying?

DuffleKing

A very throughother and disjointed performance but a win nonetheless and that's all that can be asked.

Donaghy gave a masterful display on furlong and o'rourke had maybe his best performance in an armagh jersey - vital player now. Stevie used the ball quite well too in his h forward roll. Big mal did v well when brought out around the middle too.

Puts us in a decent position for a rattle at tyrone. Certainly nothing to lose and if a performance can be summoned like the ulster champ first round it will be enough.

eriugaMS

Just back

Slippy underfoot conditions. this is how i saw it

hearty ----- 7.5.          Good game.. saved a greta point a foot over the bar and the goal shot at the end. Did everything that was asked of him. Steady but a few kickouts could have been directed to the wings more. ..... But good game all the same

Andy------- 8 great game on Glynn. He is a livewire and marked him well and foraged forward very well. Blown up a few times unfairly when glynn slid in for the ball with andy behind him. Great job done andy

Donaghy..... 8 -------- Played in behind his man and played the option of dispossessing him from behind before he got the ball........ Did great and got so many fists and punches and hands to the ball first.......... Great game and a few good runs down the firls

Finn --------.6.5  A few fouls and could have been 2nd yellow carded. Did ok......... No runs forward and was kept busy

A Kernan. ---- 7 . Kept busy . Did what he had to 2. Missed 2 kickable frees . He was run all over the place and did ok-------- covered a lot of ground.

Dyas.......... 6. Not a chf in my opinion. Can be silky going forward but doesnt go into tackles and doesn't get into the hard stuff. Haven't seen enough of him so far to think he should be in the team.

Duff......... 7.5........ Good game. kept the big lad quiet. Still looks not at 100% and hobbled a bit. Played some necessary clearance balls out of the final 21 yards in the 2nd half..... Good outlet as well.

Charlie........ 8 - good game...... Was on the ball a lot and covered so much grtound. Worked hard. Still runs into silly tackles and loses the ball at times but a big player for us all the same

James L......... 7.5 .......... he won a good few balls. won some and then spilled them....... Last 20 he was great covering back. Would like to see him start vs tyrone

M O'rourke........ 7.......... On the ball a lot. Link up play good. But would have got a bigger mark only his man caused havoc going fwd....... Could have tracked back more as the number 7 caused us a lot of trouble up front.

Hanratty..... 7,5........ didn't seem to do much. But he kept Stafford quiet and that alone was a feat. wasn't on the ball a lot. Run himself into the ground before moving to FF line and then subbed. Perhaps deserves to start vs tyrone

T. Kernan........ 6........ Didn't do much for me and hasn't so far this year. Got on the ball a bit in the 1st half and used it well but was anonymnous for too long. When used as a sub he shines. When starts he doesn't........... Maybe better coming of the bench

Jamie........... 7.5.......... 1st goal was v lucky.... 2nd goal was that of a supreme poacher. Not in the game as much as he could have been but popped up when needed and won good ball. Slipped a few times and a couple of times lost the ball unnecessarily. " bad wides inside 30 yards......... But still our most important player

Mal........... 8..... 1st have was slow for Mal but 2nd half he played great. Got his hands to a ball he shouldn't have reached to set up Jamie for the 2nd goal and in the middle of the park he was great in the final 20 mins.......... First 20 mins he was quiet because no early ball in but when it was pumped in he did great......... Great year for Mal so far

Stevie........... 8.5............ He did some running tonight. Was all over the place and was an outlet every time. The ball stuck to his gloves whenever he went for it and layed off some class passes. He'll be tired tonight and a real captains performance......... Still a class act

MOTM ........... Between Andy, Donaghy, Charlie, Mal and stevie........... For me stevie because he was the outlet so many times. Didn't waste any balls and was all over the place. His man couldn't mark him (either the both of them) and was solid and always laid the bAll on well

David McKeown

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 16, 2011, 10:50:17 PM
Have no idea about Orlando, David, but you may wish to call this place.  Can't speak to its quality but got it from the Premium Sports site:

Bar/Venue  Lucky Leprechaun 
Address 7032 International Drive
City Orlando, FL 32819
Phone 407-352-7031

What's the area code of where you're staying?

Cheers I'm about 500 yards up the road from here. Cheers
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

mackers

Pretty good player ratings above and I'd agree with much of it. I thought it was a decent enough performance only for a huge number of wides. The poster who stated that Wicklow had most of the ball is wrong IMO, I'll be interested to see the stats in the papers.
MOTM for me was Brendy Donaghy who was masterful at FB. MOR had a great game, he can take a score and hit a pass, he along with Stevie, in his deeper role, are a good partnership in the HF line. Thought James Lavery was poor, if he plays against Tyrone his lack of mobility will be exposed. Mickey Harte was sitting in front of us and it will not take a tactical genius like him to expose this weakness.
The wides were a source of frustration last night although the positive would be that we created a lot of chances.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Throw ball

We could go tit for tat on supporters - my young fella said he wanted to wait a bit after the game to leave as he didn't want to run into a mob! The jeering and booing is terrible. I have no doubt that there are Armagh supporters who let the county down and the ref is always an easy target but as was said every county has supporters like that. I actually thought the ref had a good game. Felt he gave Wicklow a few soft frees but also that our first goal could have been a free out for over carrying. Bar about ten minutes in second half I honestly never thought Armagh were going to lose. Towards the end they were just playing keep ball and making sure Wicklow didn't goal. Roll on next week!