Abuse of GAA people on Discussion Boards

Started by Applesisapples, June 13, 2011, 05:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Any other username is non-confrontational and deals with the surreal. And pretty obvious. If I had any others.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Benny is having a laugh!! he criticises people or has views, good or bad on things every week!!

As some have said already, I've no problem (and most know who I am) telling people what I think, rightly or wrongly (sam ;)).

If they keep giving off about this then they will only give it more attention and more people will join discussion boards to see what the craic is!! daft or what??

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

O'Neill why on earth would someone call you about your opinion on the GPA? You aren't the type to overtly insult someone so surely you are entitled to express an opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there is a line between opinion and insult, calling someone a cheat etc.

Edit: Benny is a ballbag. ;D

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 15, 2011, 11:01:15 PM
O'Neill why on earth would someone call you about your opinion on the GPA? You aren't the type to overtly insult someone so surely you are entitled to express an opinion.

It was calmly argued by the offended that I had deliberately misinterpreted their article that appeared in the press. I wasn't over perturbed and didn't ask how my mobile number was obtained.

Benny's article is littered with flaws but what would you expect from an overweight Mullaghbawn ginger master.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Well everyone knows who I am. I was spotted in Team Talk once and someone on here put 2 and 2 together and guessed it was me. Haven't really hid who I was since that.

ONeill actually has a point, people are who they want to be here. I'm actually much much shyer and timid mate face-to-face.

Guess my point is, I stand everything I say here. Not that I say a lot (that is of any interest anyway).
Testing Accessibility

tyssam5

I am tired of the abuse of discussion boards by 'GAA people'.

heganboy

Quote from: ziggysego on June 16, 2011, 12:30:20 AM
I'm actually much much shyer and timid mate face-to-face.

Aye- with men maybe....

schmoozer!
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

oakleafgael

Quote from: ONeill on June 15, 2011, 07:15:42 PM
Let me ask you boys this. Would you be prepared to put your name after posts which criticise others? If not, why not? I've had 2 phonecalls over posts I've put up here in the last 2 years and I've been happy to defend them.

I post regularly on another forum where all posters have to post under their real name. It works fine and hasnt cut back on the level of debate at all.

saffron sam2

So, thusfar on this thread, we have one poster playing the surreal / I wasn't being serious card and another who has form for playing the bard of dunclug card (someone hacked into my account).

This is one reason why anonymity is important and negates their "I can stand over everything I posted" crap.

Another reason (and people have alluded to it already) is the issue of posting during work time. The owc visit to Fearon's workplace (coupled with numerous postcards being sent) may be the extreme ( I don't particularly want them to know mine), but posters could get into trouble at work for the amount of time they spend on here. There are some small people who post on discussion boards, who lack both the intellectual and emotional maturity to survive in this unforgiving environment; when they reveal personal information about other posters, they forfeit any standing they have on the board.

Anyone who posts or lurks on this board is a valid target for acerbic comment.

The problem is not with the more prolific posters on the board - most operate within well understood boundaries. Indeed there are very few major issues with this board that I can see.

John Clark, a reasonable player, but there are many better than him.

I have never found Benny Tierney in anyway funny.

Another class over, I'm away for a coffee.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

mackers

And it continues...........
Donal Murtagh condemns the internet discussion boards in today's Irish News......he is giving off about the criticism of POR on these boards.  Suppose in some ways it is a valid point but it also misses a very important one. Yes there were negative comments put on the board about POR but a good number also supported POR..........you'd swear we did NOTHING but slag GAA people off on here. We are GAA people DISCUSSING GAA........the majority of whom spend a lot of their time giving up their voluntary time for the GAA......
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

brokencrossbar1

Benny's a hoot, how would he know what's posted on d'internet, they don't have it up his road yet :D 

But seriously, I am with O'Neill and the wobbly man to a point.  I am happy to stand over anything I say and have been challenged/approached by numerous people over the years in a positive and not so positive fashion about stuff that has been posted on here.  I still though believe that people should stay anonymous but be careful in what they post.  They can post on here something that they would only say with 10 pints in them, that doesn't mean they should.

Anyway, if it wasn't for discussion boards many journalists would be scrambling for stories!

Fuzzman

A few very interested and well made points on this topic.

I've never tried to hide my identity on here and most people who know me know I post on here.
However, I have to agree with O'Neill's point that maybe I'm comfortable with that because I live in Dublin and not at home in my own little parish with my fellow club mates. I notice this when I PM other Tyrone lads on here that some are very reluctant to say who they are even though I wouldn't know them from Adam mainly cos they are still an active club member at home.

Personally I try to always post fairly and not get to personal about stuff. The odd time I get pissed off how overly loyal a certain manager is to his "favourite" players but I think we're all entitled to have our view.
As someone said I find the board enjoyable as its like a larger version of pre & post match analysis in the pub but the main difference is that the person or persons that are the subject of our chat can, if they wish, come online and read what's being said of them.
Whereas if you were slating someone in the pub for having a poor game and that player then came into the pub, you'd probably shut up and not be so rude as to tell it to his face.

I think most players & managers etc have the sense not to come on boards and read what's being said about them. Of course some will do that and some will get very upset about what's written.
I can see why players & managers etc would get defensive about the whole thing and want it all banned but to me if its regulated correctly then there is more good to be had from discussion boards than bad.

Did any of ye see the chat last week on that great Committee room program between the lads about Twitter. MJ Tierney says he was amazed by the reaction his statement got but he would continue to tweet. I think the other lads thought he was mad.

Is there an element of people who don't use the internet that much are a bit put off by its power.
Its one thing for a player to have a nightmare game and suspect everyone in the pub is chatting about him afterwards. But for him to be able to read it or what's happening lately, read in the paper what was said on the discussion boards. Maybe if it wasn't for the papers and TV programmes, half the players wouldn't even know they were being discussed.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 16, 2011, 10:29:56 AM
So, thusfar on this thread, we have one poster playing the surreal / I wasn't being serious card and another who has form for playing the bard of dunclug card (someone hacked into my account).
This is one reason why anonymity is important and negates their "I can stand over everything I posted" crap.
Another reason (and people have alluded to it already) is the issue of posting during work time. The owc visit to Fearon's workplace (coupled with numerous postcards being sent) may be the extreme ( I don't particularly want them to know mine), but posters could get into trouble at work for the amount of time they spend on here. There are some small people who post on discussion boards, who lack both the intellectual and emotional maturity to survive in this unforgiving environment; when they reveal personal information about other posters, they forfeit any standing they have on the board.
Anyone who posts or lurks on this board is a valid target for acerbic comment.
The problem is not with the more prolific posters on the board - most operate within well understood boundaries. Indeed there are very few major issues with this board that I can see.
John Clark, a reasonable player, but there are many better than him.
I have never found Benny Tierney in anyway funny.
Another class over, I'm away for a coffee.
its back to the old 'manners' problem again. Too may people abuse the internet and dont observe normal propper maners when writing stuff on internet forums (and email).
In real life, I'm actually prob even worse than onhere. I have spoke my mind to several players/managers who I thought were doing something wrong/ringing the GAA into disrepute (eg a former Dublin player was managing a club team and when unhappy with a result, had brought the matter to the courts - I told him that I felt this was disgraceful behavour and not within GAA ethos - he didnt know what to say, I still see him and say hello to him as he lives in the same area).
If you wouldnt say it to someones face, you shouldnt write it on here.
This is not the same as a couple of lads having a half drunken bitching session about some player 'who is useless' - but in terms of ability would be better than the few detractors put together ! No player goes ou to play badly, most players are better than most of us on here.

Sandino

I have read the entire thread and there have been some well made points right across the discussion. For what it's worth here are my own thoughts.
I feel that the main reasons why these negative articles are appearing in newspapers is as others have said, because many people now use discussion boards to obtain the latest news. This is hurting newspapers, the Irish News in particular. I would never consider buying a newspaper to read about the GAA. I use discussion boards and the Teamtalk website.
I don't agree for one moment that discussions on here are like idle chats in the pub after a match. Seldom do the family of a player be privy to the ridicule the player may receive after a game. However what I really think is wrong, is when the criticism is of the person and not the player. Some high profile GAA members are subjected to some fierce personal ridicule. I seriously doubt that the main offenders would repeat some of the personal insults to the victims' faces and not because of the 'fear of offending them' either.
The people who post most the most vitriol of a personal nature would be least likely to post under their own name IMHO.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

SLIGONIAN

I was out last saturday night in Sligo and 2 men i dont know called me Sligonian, one shook my hand, the other was just shouting not aggresively but pointing. Ive known for a few yrs and accepted that everyone in Sligo knows my identity. So tbh i always say things on here that i would stand by, i have made mistakes too and apologised but 98% of my posts i believe are sound.

Last yr a parent of Sligo county footbaler called to the door, didnt want to speak to me but my Dad, Im 29 btw, but he wanted to shut me up, i came to the door anyway, and this man was angry very angry and threatening all sorts, i said to his face what i thought, i said imo your son isnt intercounty standard and that i never said anything personal about him. He said i did. I told him to why if i affect your son so much does he read what i say. He said he doesnt, but his friends do and wind him up. Now i dont know what this fellas friends were saying to him, could of been exagerrating my words. He told me not to mention his son ever again and that his son nearly lost his mind. I said if it affects him that much i wont say anything about him. My Dad agreed with what i said and we both were angered by this approach especially as this man didnt want to talk to me and involved my Dad.

I felt bad after the encounter, but first thing i did was check back on all the things i said about this lad, none of it was personal, all football related, and i even blamed the management for picking and said its not his fault hes not good enough. I dunno what his firends said to him nor do i feel responsible.. This lad is obviously very sensitive and cant handle criticism at all so he needs protection, im not sure intercounty is for him though as i suspect in future someone else may criticise him. It was never my intention to have such a negative impact on a player.

Its a tricky issue, i work in construction so i developed a thick skin early on, and criticism and pointing out my mistakes made me better at my job, i bring the same approach to football but its not all criticism there plenty of encouragement aswell, i feel however too many county players are wrapped in cotton wool by the people around them and it does them no favours. You only have to look at the mentality of Sligo footballers at present, not near tough enough mentally imo.. Too many yes men is never a good thing, and i was never one of these people, it does isolate you but i think deep down you get more respect from people. I agree that no player goes out to lose, but some players are lazy and workrate imo is fair game to criticise but you better be right.

Ive stopped posting on Hoganstand last 6 months, my post regarding Sligo on here are fewer by the day and i will eventually stop. I have aspirations of coaching and i know i wont get roles if im on here or anywhere.

Everyone is watching, parents, players, coaches, managers, County Board etc.. they all read my posts and everyone knows me so it leaves me vunerable. The other side of the coin too is our posts or opinions arent 100% reflection on us as poeple and certainly a few mistaken words shouldnt be held against you for eternity. Players coming on here for ego graitification only to find criticism maybe hit hardest but i have little sympathy tbh. Our opinions change aswell and i hope any Sligo player proves me wrong aswell if i dont rate them. But definitly after last yrs incident i would be more aware of how it affect some players and ive stopped my analysis of games in public more to with my future involvement in coaching than anything else. No man can say i hide behing my keyboard, no man. But its clear all the above dont want to be talked about or people to have opinions (UNLESS YOUR SAYING HOW GREAT THEY ARE), they obviously want yes men and to wrapped in cotton wool all there live which i find sad. Someone once said to me that your honesty will get you nowhere, and hes right, if i tell people what they want to hear for the rest of life i'll go places, how sad that is though. Deep down i hope Most respect Honesty.

Isnt ironic though that based on my opinion on football matters i get personal abuse but thats ok. Im a sc**bag, rat, weasal, evil, becuase i dont think so and so is good enough for Sligo.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"