Abuse of GAA people on Discussion Boards

Started by Applesisapples, June 13, 2011, 05:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

I think its fair to say that discussion boards do promote views that sail close to the wind but I can honestly say that I have never read a really negative personal attack on any player. There are threads which questions managers but as I said before, SO WHAT! You get that in all sports. The day that people stop discussing these points is the same day there will be no supporters in the stands!!

Wise up Benny! Debate and freedom of speech is a good thing. The fact that there are these pages means that the GAA is thriving. See it as a positive and not see it in a negative light... the same negative light you are saying you don't like!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mackers on June 15, 2011, 03:29:28 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 15, 2011, 02:12:52 PM
I don't think thats the case. Some posts do cross the line and some posters resort to abuse of players, officials and other posters when stuck for a reply.
Nobody would really argue with that apples but it's unfair of Benny Tierney to state that there are NO positive things posted on these boards. He finished his article off by congratulating Paul McCormack on getting to an Ulster SHC final and said that you wouldn't find that on a discussion board because it was too positive!!
Wasn't it Benny who kicked up a fuss a couple of years ago over orchard county having a poll on whether mcdonnell should be dropped. 

What these boys need to realise is that what is being said on boards like this is the same thing being said in pubs or clubs, on the way home in the car or on the way out the gate etc. (and probably much worse being said) No, some of them mighten like what's being said about them but the only difference is that it is available to them. If everyone here was privy to every conversation about them they wouldn't be happy with some of the stuff being said either. That's life. This mad oul teacher we had at school use to say "it's none of your business what anyone else thinks of you" - she was right!

Btw, as someone else alluded to these boys yapping are only concerned with the fact that boards like this are replacing their articles and reports. I know I don't look at a paper for a match report any more I will read what's on here and there's others who have said the same in the past.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ONeill

Let me ask you boys this. Would you be prepared to put your name after posts which criticise others? If not, why not? I've had 2 phonecalls over posts I've put up here in the last 2 years and I've been happy to defend them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ONeill on June 15, 2011, 07:15:42 PM
Let me ask you boys this. Would you be prepared to put your name after posts which criticise others? If not, why not? I've had 2 phonecalls over posts I've put up here in the last 2 years and I've been happy to defend them.
If you're asking would you put your name on here then no I wouldn't because there's a lot of unstable weirdos out there.
Would I have an issue saying to someone what I've said on here about them, generally not and my only reservations would be that I'd insult them although for a good while now I keep in mind that the person I'm posting about might be reading.
For instance in the past I might come on and say so and so was f**king shit today, useless, should have been taken off after 20 minutes. Would I want to say that to the players face, no, not because I'm hiding behind a keyboard but because I'm sure they'd feel shit enough about their performance without me adding to it.

ck

No I wouldnt be prepared to leave my name but am happy to defend anything I say on here. Any comment I leave on here is exactly what I think. If I had to put my name to it then I would automatically hold back in case of offending.Thats why I enjoy this forum, cos you get 100% honesty and no diluted waffle that you see in the papers. Surely thats the attraction of boards?
As for Bennys assertions that people on these threads dont contribute to their clubs. How the hell does he know that. Pure sh*t talk! I for one coach and manage under age teams and am presently a club minor manager. Put that in you cake hole Benny.
Granted, there is plenty of sh*te talk ON these pages but there is a whole lot more sh*te talk ABOUT these pages.. mainly in the Irish News.
ps: I know of at least one journalist who is a regular on here. He says that its how he keeps in touch with the hearts and minds of fans.

Minder

As regards posting anonymously, well who would put their name for public consumption when you see what somebody did to Fearon a few years ago, when they posted a photo of his wife, or sister, same person anyway. Especially with the amount of information people unwittingly share on platforms such as Facebook, it wouldnt be hard for people to plaster all sorts about you on here. I cant see why anyone wouldnt stand over what they say here as i would imagine it is their opinion, so they are entitled to it no matter what someone like Benny Tierney thinks.

How exactly does Tierney think that posters here do not contribute anything to their club? Has he unmasked a load of posters and followed the good for nothing wastrels about? I think Pints wasnt too far from the mark when he said about forums such as this replacing the inane nonsense that these columnists serve up on a daily basis. Oh and as for Benny Tierney being funny, people should get out more.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ogshead

I have always thought Benny was a bit of a dick...  ;D

ONeill

Don't buy that anonymous stuff atall. Fearon would've received abuse through his letter writing alone. As for the photo, Tony actually directed people to the photo in a paper initially.

The reason why pseudonyms are used is because it allows people to criticise behind a cloak. Personally I don't mind that but I think people should be man enough to use their own names if called to task over a comment. Discussion boards allow people to be the person they would like to be instead of who they are.

If people are honest about themselves they'll admit to being slightly afraid of what others would think of them in their own locality etc for posting on a board or for being vocal about certain issues. It's a form of cowardice but I suppose it's what makes these boards tick.

heganboy

i would like to take this opportunity to say that not only is Benny a very smart guy, but also great craic, particularly if you can involve cigars and mullaghbawn club bar in any discussion.

that's pretty positive right?

also I contribute to my club, though whether the rest of the members think that is positive i'm not sure- there were definitely positive  comments when I was playing. Well mostly positive, actually maybe just a few positive - thanks QZ, Flappy, Charlie and Jonah, love ya. And Mum, Dad not so much...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on June 15, 2011, 08:42:37 PM
Don't buy that anonymous stuff atall. Fearon would've received abuse through his letter writing alone. As for the photo, Tony actually directed people to the photo in a paper initially.

The reason why pseudonyms are used is because it allows people to criticise behind a cloak. Personally I don't mind that but I think people should be man enough to use their own names if called to task over a comment. Discussion boards allow people to be the person they would like to be instead of who they are.

If people are honest about themselves they'll admit to being slightly afraid of what others would think of them in their own locality etc for posting on a board or for being vocal about certain issues. It's a form of cowardice but I suppose it's what makes these boards tick.

So would you be happy with some headbanger on here posting something about your family members or children if they took a twisted dislike to you?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Minder on June 15, 2011, 08:48:33 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 15, 2011, 08:42:37 PM

So would you be happy with some headbanger on here posting something about your family members or children if they took a twisted dislike to you?
Or turning up at your place of work to challenge you about something you posted?

ONeill

Someone managed to get my mobile number (still don't know how) over an issue about the GPA. I was happy to defend my position. They don't post on here. I'm sure there are others who bear grudges but again I'm happy to defend myself or hold my hands up. There are a good few on here who are well known in terms of facebook or twitter accounts. If others wanted to post photos from these etc well then the mods are active.   

I'm not calling for people to use their names. I just hope people post things they're prepared to say in person.

thewobbler

Agree fully with you O'Neill.

I don't hide my identity on here, and never post anything I wouldn't say openly in
the real world. The two things do seem to be related in most cases. I'm sure you'd find that the most slanderous of our brethren are the ones hiding the most.

ck

Then why don't you? Why don't you put your names up instead of anonymous names?
My anonymous name "ck" are my initials. But thats as far as I am prepared to go. Take away the anonimity from this site and you will hear the tumbleweed.
Don't let a bubbly brilliant but overfed Armagh keeper convince you that anonymous views are bad.

saffron sam2

How many usernames do you have though?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet