Abuse of GAA people on Discussion Boards

Started by Applesisapples, June 13, 2011, 05:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Forgive me if this thread has been started before, but in light of the recent press focus on people hiding behind lap tops and dishing out abuse I thought I'd give my tu'ppence.

I read with dismay some of the personal abuse dished out to a couple of named football refs in Armagh on the Armagh Forum. Some very nasty stuff went unchallenged. This in my opinion is wrong and defeats the purpose of forums such as these which is to generate debate. It is in my opinion legimate to debate who or what went well for your team in a particular match or who should or shouldn't start in the run up. I didn't see anything abusive on this site about John Clarke other than some Down fans saying that in there opinion he was a good club footballer but lacked a little for the county. Is this unfair? I don't think so.

Orior

A fair point Apples.

I like to think I dont criticise anyone personally, particularly as they would always be 100 times better fottballer than I ever was. When it comes to picking teams and being the "amateur manager" we're always gonna pick one player over another, and often give reasons why.

The key difference between us amateurs and real managers is that real managers dont publish their reasons. That can be difficult for some players but no different from the abuse players get from their opponents or the fans in the stand.

I like the story of the corner forward who hits the back of the net and then jogs back to his marker and taunts "I thought you were marking me?"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

DuffleKing

micka the dub

im all for it.how else would i tell martin mchugh he is a complete spacer

ck

Personally I believe that if you are a manager or player of a certain profile then you are up there to be shot at. If someone thinks they arent good enough or their decisions are questioned, SO WHAT? It's freedom of speech. Stop being so bloody over sensitive. Sport is all about discussion, talking points, errors, mistakes, moments of greatness. It's what makes it sport.

Jim McGuinness replied directly to his critics on Sunday night on the Sunday game. Fair play to him. Right to reply an all that. But what I didnt like was his view that pundits showed his team and players no respect by slagging them off. He missed the fact that he had not earned any respect in the first place by playing puke football. Once he/Donegal start playing positively and actually beat a team of note then maybe he will get respect.

Long live freedom of speech and debate. It's what makes life/sport interesting!

An Gaeilgoir

Don't mind gaa boards abusing players, did anyone hear Michael Duignan on Radio 1 this eveinnig talking about Offaly footballers.  :D

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

mackers

What about the abuse of discussion boards by GAA people?
I see the discussion boards got another touch in this morning's Irish News with Benny Tierney having a go. I am a big fan of Benny's who brings an excellent sense of humour to everything he does whether that be his weekly article in the Irish News or his after dinner speeches, but after reading his article this morning I'm wondering which discussion boards he is referring to. He states that nobody on these discussion boards has anything positive to say. That's a huge generalisation and unfair to posters on this board in particluar (I don't really read any other GAA discussion boards).
Yes there are a few negative comments made by numpties on here but to suggest that there are NO postive comments on here is unfair. I presume Benny doesn't read this board or else he is talking about other boards.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

rrhf

Bear in mind all media is competing at the moment.  Message boards are reducing paper sales

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: rrhf on June 15, 2011, 10:43:04 AM
Bear in mind all media is competing at the moment.  Message boards are reducing paper sales

Agreed! I think there's a collective effort by media to combat this and Benny is just another media monkey doing what he's told!

Applesisapples

I don't think thats the case. Some posts do cross the line and some posters resort to abuse of players, officials and other posters when stuck for a reply.

mackers

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 15, 2011, 02:12:52 PM
I don't think thats the case. Some posts do cross the line and some posters resort to abuse of players, officials and other posters when stuck for a reply.
Nobody would really argue with that apples but it's unfair of Benny Tierney to state that there are NO positive things posted on these boards. He finished his article off by congratulating Paul McCormack on getting to an Ulster SHC final and said that you wouldn't find that on a discussion board because it was too positive!!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Applesisapples

Quote from: mackers on June 15, 2011, 03:29:28 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 15, 2011, 02:12:52 PM
Nobody would really argue with that apples but it's unfair of Benny Tierney to state that there are NO positive things posted on these boards. He finished his article off by congratulating Paul McCormack on getting to an Ulster SHC final and said that you wouldn't find that on a discussion board because it was too positive!!
I don't take Benny too seriously, and he will be pro player given his history. Where I would take him to task though is on his assertion that posters don't contribute to the GAA. I will have given 4 nights this week to my club and would have been 5 only the wife threaten me with divorce. I have no doubt that there are some on here who don't give anything back but that's not everyone.