ACL surgery

Started by Forever Green, June 13, 2011, 12:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Green

Getting surgery on the anterior cruciate ligament in a few weeks time. Has anybody ever had it done and did it bother you when playing afterwards?

screenexile

Quote from: Forever Green on June 13, 2011, 12:11:47 AM
Getting surgery on the anterior cruciate ligament in a few weeks time. Has anybody ever had it done and did it bother you when playing afterwards?

Ah . . . an area of my expertise!!!!

Currently recovering from my 2nd ACL surgery. I first did it 3 years ago and was back playing after 6 months having done the rehab programme. I was completely fine until about 3 months into the season where I got a lot of pain from it and I broke down a couple of times from it. I think that was because I stopped doing weights once we began training on the field. My quad muscle deteriorated which put more pressure on my knee. The next season it was fine and it hasn't given me any trouble since then and to be honest I don't feel it at all anymore!

Unfortunately the other knee went in my 4th game this year and I am just hitting 2 months since the operation but all has gone well and my rehab is going well so it should be fine. My Mother has threatened to kick me out of the house if I go back to football again but sure we'll see.

You will be in pain for a week after the op so be sure not to put too much strain on it. Get yourself a good physio to look after your rehab as well and if you follow everything he/she says you will be good to go in 6 months. As I say though don't neglect the strength work as your knee will start to give you problems if you don't build up the muscles around it. Good luck!!

Forever Green

Cheers for that Screenexile. Aye, i have been told to be sure and build up the muscles around both knees before i get back playing but still in two minds about whether to play as I don't want to go through it all again. 

RMDrive

Quote from: Forever Green on June 13, 2011, 12:29:50 PM
Cheers for that Screenexile. Aye, i have been told to be sure and build up the muscles around both knees before i get back playing but still in two minds about whether to play as I don't want to go through it all again.

It's not just about playing though. How about being able to jump over a wall or jump down a few steps. Or playing with your kids or playing a bit of astroturf. If you have no confidence in your knee then it effects a surprising amount of your life.

screenexile

Rm's right. I don't know if I'll go back to football or not but if I want to Golf, Ski, play indoor football I need to do the rehab right. I'd be quite active anyway and if I couldn't do those things I might lose the plot!

orangeman

Cruciate injury payouts to top €1.3m

Thursday, March 07, 2013

A drop has been recorded in the number of cruciate insurance claims in the GAA — but the figure could still see €1.32m being paid out under their player insurance scheme.

By John Fogarty
A total of 430 insurance claims for surgery on the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) were made in 2012 — 40 less than in 2011. However, at €3,000 per treatment, the potential total cost under the scheme could still exceed €1m.

The decrease in the number of ACL operations claimed for at adult football level showed a slight drop from 318 in 2011 to 315 last year.

General non-ACL knee injuries remain the biggest expense under the scheme with 1,487 claims across adult and youth football and hurling last year compared to 1,305 in 2010.

Last year marked the first time the GAA categorised the ACL injury. Previously, they had included it under the knee classification. GAA director of finance Tom Daly said the decrease in ACL claims is not necessarily an indication that the cruciate problem in the GAA is lessening.

"The overall claims are around about 6,000 in any particular year. We saw a significant drop two years when we changed the cover of the scheme. When there is a drop of 40 you could well see an increase of the same amount next year.

"I don't think that's representative of any particular trend, to be honest."

The GAA's medical, scientific and welfare committee are currently looking at devising warm-up techniques to help curb issues such as cruciate injuries.

In his annual report, GAA director general Páraic Duffy referred to their work: "The committee is responsible for overseeing an injury database that generates significant scientific data on injuries sustained by GAA players.

"The committee is currently examining — with our games development committee — a significant intervention programme [specifically in the area of warm-up] that could have substantial benefits in helping reduce the instance of muscle injuries sustained at training and games.

"I know this is an initiative that will be welcomed by players, for obvious reasons, and by clubs, which have seen medical bills escalate to an alarming degree in recent years."

ballinaman

Any idea what graft the surgeon plans to use, patellar or hamstring?

Have a look at this video, was at this conference back in 2011 when I was in Oz. Very good speaker and presentation, bit of medical jargon but you should find it fairly informative and give you an idea of what kind of rehab you're looking at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4eYFald-g

RMDrive

Anyone got a rehab programme they'd be willing to share? All I got was one which worked on my quads, but I've heard of people using wobble boards and doing loads of other exercises.

ballinaman

Quote from: RMDrive on March 07, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
Anyone got a rehab programme they'd be willing to share? All I got was one which worked on my quads, but I've heard of people using wobble boards and doing loads of other exercises.
Who gave you one just working your quads? I'd have them struck off for malpractice! Core, hips, hammers and balance all just as important.

galwayman

Are hamstring grafts more common than patellar tendon grafts these days?
I had mine done 10 and a half years ago and it was patellar tendon.

I believe Padraic Murray in the Galway Clinic uses the hamstring graft for his patients anyway.

the waffler

had mine done bout 15 yrs ago but a whole diff story now its key hole no big scares etc,plenty of gym work take that bit of time and make sure dont go back early.Any good physio will give you a rehab program