Mayo Player Illness

Started by Redgreenery, March 05, 2007, 05:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snappiered

As a Fellow Gael and Tyrone man I would Just like to wish Ronan and his family well and hope they can get through this tough time.

AbbeySider

Get well soon Ronan. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

The Claw

Sad news, here's to a speedy recovery

sawel

As someone who has had the same illness as Ronan at the same age as he is i have no doubt that he shall come through this.
He is strong and athletic he shall cruse the chemo.
Just look at this eposide as another hurdle in life and like all hurdles if you put your mind to it you shall jump it.

muppet

Fair play sawel it is great to read such positive posts. I have to admit knowing little about it other than a guy at work had it a few years ago. He went throught the therapy and hasn't looked back since.

Like all above I wish Ronan all the best with his recovery.
MWWSI 2017

BallyhaiseMan

Captain Scarlet

Speedy recovery to ronan.

scary aul shit all the same, only a young lad!
just readin the indo this mornin and they were chattin bout the other lads.
deane just thought it was a groin strain and was playin away.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

SLIGONIAN

Get well soon, a close friend of mine got same illness and recovered from it. It has a high recovery rate but tough few months ahead. Head up and Im sure he'll have plenty of support. Alll the best.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Keyser_Soze

I've nothing much to add, just my own get well soon message.

Redgreenery

From Unison.com

McGarrity's illness
Tuesday March 6th 2007

O'Mahony full of praise for midfield star after cancer scare is revealed

MAYO football has been rocked by news that Ronan McGarrity will begin receiving treatment for testicular cancer this week.

The midfielder informed the Mayo manager John O'Mahony late last week about the ailment and bravely broke the news to a stunned dressing-room at training on Saturday morning.

He has withdrawn from the squad indefinitely but hopes are high that he will be able to make a full recovery and make a return later in the year.

Full recovery

Testicular cancer occurs most commonly among men in their 20s and there have already been high-profile cases among GAA players.

Kildare footballer Dermot Earley was diagnosed four years ago but has made a full recovery while Cork hurler Joe Deane had surgery within weeks of the All-Ireland final last year and has also made a quick recovery. Deane is back training and playing with Cork.

Monaghan footballer Jason Hughes had a more aggressive strain of cancer but he too battled back after a longer illness to resume his inter-county career in 2001. McGarrity was in strong contention for an All-Star last year after a number of impressive performances, most notably against Galway in the Connacht final and in the replayed All-Ireland quarter-final against Laois.

Praise

The Ballina man took the decision with O'Mahony over the weekend to go public with the news. McGarrity played in Mayo's last league match nine days ago - a six-point win over Limerick in Castlebar.

O'Mahony was full of praise yesterday for the way in which McGarrity has dealt with the situation.

"We all wish Ronan the very best as he undergoes his treatment. I really admire the way he has handled the problem in the last few days and we hope he will return to the panel later in the season," said O'Mahony.

Important

"He has been a very important footballer for Mayo in recent seasons and he is also a fine person." If everything goes well for the 26-year-old he could be back in time for some part of Mayo's Connacht championship campaign.

McGarrity has mixed up his football career by continuing to play basketball at the highest level with Team Merry Monk Ballina.

Rossfan

My very best wishes for a speedy recovery to full health.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Redgreenery

Trevor Mortimer expects his Mayo team-mate Ronan McGarrity to return to the county set-up ahead of the start of the Connacht championship.

Star midfielder McGarrity withdrew from the Mayo squad two weeks ago after being diagnosed with testicular cancer, and is currently undergoing treatment.

Mortimer said: "It's very tough on Ronan but he is a strong character and he will be well able to deal with it.

"As far as I know, he is making good progress and it is something that has happened to a number of county players previously and they have recovered. We are expecting him back in maybe two-to-three months time and ready to take the number eight jersey for us – it is waiting for him."

Mortimer revealed that the Mayo players dedicated last Sunday's victory over Fermanagh to the stricken Ballina man.

"It was motivation for us on Sunday and it will be until he gets back because he's one of the most outgoing lads within the team.

"He's a real leader in the dressing-room. Outside the team he is quiet, but he is a lovely fella."