The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Double agent Joyce could win the game for us. Cause a few run outs, obviously while scoring very little (slowly himself). Then when fielding throw a few balls into the crowd for 6's! We'd be laughing!

Hardy

It seems doubt is being cast on the propriety of Ireland's win over Pakistan now, with the suggestion/rumour that Mr. Woolmer may have been strangled (by one of the team ??!!!) because he discovered a betting scandal.

"The Gaffer" thinks he has problems!

magpie seanie

Quote"The Gaffer" thinks he has problems!

If there was a betting scandal dopey Stan would never find out about it.

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/sports/woolmer+murdered+and+had+a+broken+neck/324747

QuoteWoolmer 'murdered and had a broken neck'

Jamaican police sources have told Channel 4 News that a fracture in the neck of Pakistan's cricket coach Bob Woolmer had created suspicions he had been murdered.

The news comes after Woolmer's widow admitted she couldn't rule out foul play.

A senior policeman in the Jamaican police force said: "We're having to be very careful to avoid looking silly, but we will soon announce that there is to be a murder investigation and there will be an appeal for witnesses."

Police had revealed on Tuesday that they were treating the former England batsman's death in Jamaica at the weekend as "suspicious" but stopped short of saying that he had been murdered.

ONeill

Great wee match on at the minute, NZ v Canada.

NZ hit 363 for 5 in 50 overs which seemed an impossible target, and I suppose it still is.

But, Canada are just letting rip at every opportunity and were 43 for 0 in 4 overs, averaging over 10 runs an over. Davison notched 22 runs in one over including five 4s. They're now 94 for 1 in 14 overs so the manic play is wearing off.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ardal

World Cup
Richard Gillis in Kingston, Jamaica

The astonishing story of Ireland's cricketers at the World Cup in the Caribbean continued yesterday against a backdrop of match-fixing slurs and a possible murder investigation.

Ireland's passage to the Super Eights, the tournament's second round, appeared certain as nearest rivals Zimbabwe struggled against Pakistan in a match delayed by rain in Kingston, Jamaica.

A win for Pakistan would send Ireland through to the next stage to play a further six games against the biggest cricketing nations in the world over the next four weeks.

However, since the weekend, sport has been overtaken by an extraordinary series of events.

On Sunday, Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer was found unconscious in his hotel room and was later pronounced dead.

A coroner's inquest and autopsy, compulsory under Jamaican law, was carried out and on Tuesday night came the news that police were treating the former England cricketer's death as suspicious.

The news was met with disbelief from the Irish players. Team captain Trent Johnston, whose room at the players' hotel was two doors from the incident scene, said: "It makes me sick to think about it."

In the vacuum created by the absence of facts, rumour has spread, with whispers about match-fixing allegations.

The Irish team plays its final group game against hosts West Indies tomorrow.

Assuming the team progresses to the next stage of the tournament, an itinerary taking in the Caribbean islands of Grenada and Barbados will follow.

Supported by the 1,000 travelling supporters, the Irish team's games have been the good news story of the event, culminating in a long and loud St Patrick's Day celebration at the beach resort of Ochos Rios.

The team is predominantly made up of part-time players who balance their cricketing commitments with full-time careers.

Having been on the road since early January, another four weeks away would test the finances of the Irish Cricket Union which recompenses the players' employers for their absence.

Yesterday brought the sad news that former Irish Cricket Union chairman Bob Kerr had died. Mr Kerr was in the Caribbean on holiday as one of the group supporting the Irish team.

© 2007 The Irish Times

turk

In the vacuum created by the absence of facts, rumour has spread,

So well done to the paper of record for stick its hole in and printing this baseless shit. f**king wankers

ardal

This possible betting swindle still bothers me especially as I know very little about Cricket. Were Ireland forced to beat Pakistan by only 3 runs (or whatever they're called) instead of the expected 3:7?

Gabriel_Hurl

No Captain Johnston today

QuoteIreland will be without their skipper Trent Johnston for Friday's final group match against the West Indies.

Johnston's shoulder injury flared up again in training so John Mooney comes into the team and Kyle McCallan will be skipper at Sabina Park.

Bready bowler Boyd Rankin has been passed fit by physio Iain Knox.

Both the West Indies and Ireland are through to the next stage but, with points at stake to carry over, there should be no let up.

Wicket-keeper Niall O'Brien said there was a "bit of history" between himself and West Indies captain Brian Lara.

Back in 2004, the two men had a fall-out during a one-dayer at Stormont, with O'Brien claiming Lara failed to walk when he edged the ball to him.

O'Brien said: "Lara was funny.

"We had that disagreement at Stormont and then two days later I turned up to play against him for [former county] Kent.

"I don't think he could believe his eyes. I think he'd seen enough of me.

"I talked to [West Indies team-mate] Dwayne Bravo recently and he said 'Brian said to say hello'.

"I'm looking forward to seeing him in Jamaica."

Ireland booked their place in the Super 8s after a surprise win over Pakistan and a tie against Zimbabwe.

And Lara said he had been impressed with what he had seen so far.

"I think they've shown great fight. At one point in the Zimbabwe game things didn't look too bright for them but they pulled themselves out of that, picked up momentum against Pakistan," he told BBC Sport.

"I think they are going to represent themselves and the group very well in the next round.

"They have a fighting spirit as a people in whatever they do, whether it's cricket or football and I'm impressed with the fact they shown mettle and fight."

West Indies coach Bennett King said he wanted his side to play with a lot more vigour after Zimbabwe made them sweat in the six-wicket victory over the African side.

He said: "We will play this match against Ireland as though it is a match in the Super 8s, to try to get ourselves focused, and ready to play in the next stage of the competition.

"I don't think Ireland have played above expectations because they have got a very sound bowling attack, and their top five batsmen have certainly done the job for them in the associates' competitions.

"We have identified some strengths and weaknesses."

West Indies (from): Brian Lara (captain), Ian Bradshaw, Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Corey Collymore, Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard, Daren Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Marlon Samuels, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Lendl Simmons, Devon Smith, Dwayne Smith, Jerome Taylor.

Ireland (from): Andre Botha, Jeremy Bray, Kenny Carroll, Peter Gillespie, Dave Langford-Smith, Kyle McCallan (captain), John Mooney, Paul Mooney, Eoin Morgan, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien, William Porterfield, Boyd Rankin, Andrew White.

Umpires: Billy Bowden (NZL) and Ian Gould (ENG); 3rd umpire Brian Jerling (RSA) Referee: Roshan Mahanama (SRI)

AZOffaly

This game will give a real indication of the task that awaits the Irish team in the last 8. This could get a bit nasty over the next few weeks.

Gabriel_Hurl

AZOffaly

I'm predicting you are right. Actually, how many games will Ireland bat for 50 overs in do you reckon?

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere