Gaa managers refuse to speak to Rte over Brian Carthy treatment

Started by Minder, June 07, 2011, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

Whilst Tohill can be a wee bit drole, Davis talks utter horseshit. The man has no clue what he is talking about.

Fuzzman

I agree. To me Davis seems to be a bit of a puppet. He seems easily influenced and to me is a bit of a yes man.

On Sunday night he mentioned something about Kyle Coney and Penrose which was totally inaccurate. I can't recall just now what he said.
Tohill was not so easily lead by the line of questioning that Spillane used to fire at him.
Unlike Brolly, he'd sit quietly and let others have their say and then he'd politely disagree with them and speak his own mind and not care what people think about it. Davis is more worried about who he might upset.

Mickey Harte has always been excellent with the media over the years and comes out and talks openly when asked. Many see him as a goodie two shoes but after that piss take on RTE I think he's well within his rights to give the interviews a break for a while anyway.

The Moon is Down

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 13, 2011, 04:57:02 PM
I agree. To me Davis seems to be a bit of a puppet. He seems easily influenced and to me is a bit of a yes man.

On Sunday night he mentioned something about Kyle Coney and Penrose which was totally inaccurate. I can't recall just now what he said.
Tohill was not so easily lead by the line of questioning that Spillane used to fire at him.
Unlike Brolly, he'd sit quietly and let others have their say and then he'd politely disagree with them and speak his own mind and not care what people think about it. Davis is more worried about who he might upset.

Mickey Harte has always been excellent with the media over the years and comes out and talks openly when asked. Many see him as a goodie two shoes but after that piss take on RTE I think he's well within his rights to give the interviews a break for a while anyway.

He was saying how great it was to see new names on the Tyrone team and included Marty Penrose amongst them...

Jinxy

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 13, 2011, 04:57:02 PM

You spelled that wrong.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Jesus if Tohill was cut for Davis RTE don't have a clue. Tohill was very poor initially but he has grown into his role while Davis is as poor as ever. Where is O'Cinnede for that matter? And how is Spillane the main man, he is on every show and is simply awful.

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on July 13, 2011, 06:30:34 PM
Jesus if Tohill was cut for Davis RTE don't have a clue. Tohill was very poor initially but he has grown into his role while Davis is as poor as ever. Where is O'Cinnede for that matter? And how is Spillane the main man, he is on every show and is simply awful.

Tohill & O'Cinneide are both very good. Davis cannot construct a sentence without consulting his notes.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Canalman on July 13, 2011, 11:11:43 AM
Personally prefer Davis, an exuberant way of punditry which I like. Tohill is a tad drole for my liking.
Each to their own I suppose.

Not a great fan of the post match "interview" with the managers. Find it distasteful to see devastated defeated managers bravely trying to blurt out a few trite usualisms.

Davis is utterly clueless as even Cork people will tell you..A few weeks ago in the Sligo v Leitrim game for one of the goals, he was nattering on about a "great ball in" for one of the goals, which was clearly a shot that dropped short...he is a pain.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Zulu on July 13, 2011, 06:30:34 PM

Not how it goes Zulu. If Tohill got the road it's because Kerry threatened them with no co-operation, and either did a better job than poor Mickey Harte or else are considered more important. Or possibly both.

Spillane is there because every sport wants to ape the soccer panel - Hook is rugby's Dunphy, Spillane is football's. Always jealous of the hurling analysts, actually. Not many gluggers there from what my amateur eye can tell.

ross matt

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 14, 2011, 10:27:44 PM
Personally prefer Davis, an exuberant way of punditry which I like. Tohill is a tad drole for my liking.

Not a great fan of the post match "interview" with the managers. Find it distasteful to see devastated defeated managers bravely trying to blurt out a few trite usualisms.

Davis is utterly clueless as even Cork people will tell you..A few weeks ago in the Sligo v Leitrim game for one of the goals, he was nattering on about a "great ball in" for one of the goals, which was clearly a shot that dropped short...he is a pain.

If it's the goal I think you're referring to Brolly was raving about it when as you said it was a bad ball in and a defenders/goalie mix up.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: ross matt on July 14, 2011, 10:39:04 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 14, 2011, 10:27:44 PM

If it's the goal I think you're referring to Brolly was raving about it when as you said it was a bad ball in and a defenders/goalie mix up.

Well, of course, "on mature recollection" there was only 1 goal in the game, so that was it. Brolly, generally knows what he's talking about..winds a lot of people up, but he's not the worst imo.

Can i just say on this topic in general that while I admire Mickey Harte a lot and appreciate he has gone through a rough year already, but he's acting very childishly here...this crusade he's leading on the Carthy issue (not to mention the fact that it is unjustified as Carthy is a poor commentator) will only discredit him imo.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Stevie g 8

tohill i thought was one of the best pundits along with o cinnede,i cannot stand spillane,you,d think he invented football the way he goes on.then to top it all off you have mr. sweet des cahill presenting it.what a load of rubbish.fair play to harte i agree with him

Norf Tyrone

RTE need to act over Murray's piece. It was either shockingly insensitive or niave. Tyrone just issued this press release.

On behalf of the Tyrone GAA Senior Football Management and Players

A number of weeks ago the Senior Football Manager in conjunction with several other GAA managers wrote a letter marked Private and Confidential to two senior people within the RTÉ organisation.  In this letter Mickey Harte expressed his own and a number of other managers' concern at the disproportionate absence of Brian Carthy from his role as a radio commentator.  The contents of the letter made their way into the public domain and the managers' concerned can categorically state that they were not the source of that leak.

Due to the portrayal of the said letter, at least one other broadcaster within the organisation acted in a most insensitive manner in the choice of their programme dialogue in a morning radio show soon after.  Inappropriate references to the fact that the Tyrone manager Mickey Harte was associated with the Dali Lama conference in Limerick and the choice of the song "Pretty Little Girl from Omagh" will give you an indication of the complete lack of sensitivity the presenter in question afforded the Harte family and Michaela's husband John McAreavey, in what remains for them a very difficult time.

We hope that this statement clarifies for the general public why Mickey Harte, his management team and the players have chosen not to co-operate with RTÉ at this time.

Interviews with all other media outlets will continue as before
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Fear ón Srath Bán

RTÉ have already responded Norf, see the Dublin - Tyrone thread.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

bennydorano

Hadn't realised the Radio thing had happened, if I was Harte I would have landed at thon ballix's front door.