Gaa managers refuse to speak to Rte over Brian Carthy treatment

Started by Minder, June 07, 2011, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

So what happens when Carthy is doing a Tyrone match for RTÉ and asks Mickey for an interview after the game?

Rossfan

What a load of nonsense.
The world will be a better place for not having to listen to the usual standard manager's handbook replies which don't address the question asked.
I certainly won't miss the stock " I didnt see it to be honest" answer to any controversial incidents or Merc O'Dwyer's " yerra sure i love drivin' "

Is there any chance RTE would retaliate by not using Marty or Canning any more ? ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lynchbhoy

am interested to hear the full story on this.
at face value, it sounds like Mr Harte is sticking up for his friend.
That in itself is prob him getting himself involved where he prob shouldnt.
However, the article or comments in the preceeding posts seem to indicate that Carthy has had previous problems with his employers, and maybe there is some justification at some people getting behind him if he is being 'Jeromed'.
If this is the case, then fair play to Mr Harte and the other managers for actually giving a fcuk.

If not, then youd have to wonder why Mr Harte is diluting his focus with Tyrones championship campaign to do this.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: orangeman on June 07, 2011, 03:28:06 PM
Mickey Harte and 8 other inter county managers have signed a letter expressing their concern at how Brian Carthy has been treated.

Mickey along with 8 other managers including Brian Cody don't think they're bigger than anybody let alone the GAA and I can't see how this can be construed as being so.

They're taking up an issue that effects a long term friend / colleague of theirs who is a decent, sincere and good man. That's as far as it goes. Surely they're entitled to have the right to simply air / express their view, whether that view be right or wrong ?.
In case of interviews related to matches they are acting as representatives of their counties not as private individuals. These boys are the first to cry when players threaten to withdraw services due to pay for play standoffs or whatever other shite Cork are backing this week.

orangeman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 07, 2011, 03:36:30 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 07, 2011, 03:28:06 PM
Mickey Harte and 8 other inter county managers have signed a letter expressing their concern at how Brian Carthy has been treated.

Mickey along with 8 other managers including Brian Cody don't think they're bigger than anybody let alone the GAA and I can't see how this can be construed as being so.

They're taking up an issue that effects a long term friend / colleague of theirs who is a decent, sincere and good man. That's as far as it goes. Surely they're entitled to have the right to simply air / express their view, whether that view be right or wrong ?.
In case of interviews related to matches they are acting as representatives of their counties not as private individuals. These boys are the first to cry when players threaten to withdraw services due to pay for play standoffs or whatever other shite Cork are backing this week.

That's a fair point alright but they'd still be entitled to hold a view on a stand off / strike or whatever Cork or any other county are backing this week. Mickey Harte and the other managers, who have lent their support to this, went out and managed their teams and will manage their teams into the future. Is giving a post match interview to anyone part of the job and is it a requirement ?.

It certainly looks like Mickey is not on a solo run here.

Bingo

I doubt Mickey Harte is the type but is their the possibility this is all to do with having a pop at RTE over last years coverage of high profile incidents in matches. Have they been taking a leaf of Alex Fergusons book.

muppet

What happens if RTE now pull the guy who replaced MOM and his friends in the Gaa do the same as Harte & co?

What happens if Jack O'Connor and Tomás O'Flatharta insist that MOM continues on for another few decades and no one replaces him?

What happens if James Horan and Kevin Walsh want Ray Silke made Director General of RTE?

MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2011, 04:11:55 PM
What happens if RTE now pull the guy who replaced MOM and his friends in the Gaa do the same as Harte & co?
What happens if Jack O'Connor and Tomás O'Flatharta insist that MOM continues on for another few decades and no one replaces him?
What happens if James Horan and Kevin Walsh want Ray Silke made Director General of RTE?
unknown 'if's' muppet. Unlikely ones also.
unlike the 'known' scenario we currently have.
You can only deal with reality !

LeoMc

Any chance of Mickey's Friday banal offerings column saying something which would stir up some debate? ???

Applesisapples

Quote from: JohnDenver on June 07, 2011, 03:00:36 PM
Do you think if the ulster managers stopped talking to the BBC is there any chance they would get rid of sidebottom?
It only took to page 2!!

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2011, 04:11:55 PM

Sligonian won't accept it, not with the way he has shafted Sligo football, the Galway b*stard, in retaliation for 2007. Unspeakable.
And James Horan ? I dunno. Ray Silke should be at the Hague judging Ratko Mladic anyway.

galwayman

This is pure madness. What business is it of Mickey Harte or anyone else for that matter what games rte decide to allocate to their commentators. Those lads should keep their noses out of it and stick to their own jobs. Crazy

ck

So does that mean we will be spared the dull monotony of McGeeney, Cody and Justin McNulty and the likes? Them saying as little as possible and boring the head of anyone listening. Managers are full of their own egos if they think their wee strike will hold any weight.

ps: Mickey, away and manage Tyrone and enough of the BS

bridgegael

just wondering was that little 'spat' when mickey was getting interviewed with bbc on sunday anything to do with this.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Fear ón Srath Bán

I think that perhaps there's something we're overlooking here: it isn't that long since Mickey has had to deal with one of the most traumatic events in one's life; and if Brian Carthy was a source of immense support during that period (as it would appear he indeed was), it's eminently understandable therefore that Mickey's sense of immediate perspective is somewhat skewed (despite what an embittered fish might think (above)).

Give the man a break.

Edit: I'm not saying that I think it a good thing that managers involve themselves in TV editorial decisions, but the very least the overpaid mandarins of RTE might have done would be to acknowledge the missive.

And those that are somewhat caustic in their criticism of the man might serve themselves well to reflect on how they viewed the public clamour to have James Last restored as The Sunday Game theme-tune, despite RTE's sentiments to the contrary!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...