Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 20, 2011, 12:14:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 20, 2011, 12:05:51 PM
Quote from: Ulick on October 20, 2011, 12:00:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 20, 2011, 11:54:47 AM
Let me explain SF TD's earn money in the South. The law states that they can only donate a certain amount to the Party. They avoid breaking this law by donating the money in the North, hence opening them selves to accusations of hypocracy at the vey least. To my mind this is the same as evading your tax liabilities, you can put any spin you like on it but it is a stroke and SF are quite good at pointing out the strokes that other Political parties pull. So can you state categorically that this is the case, ie that they are avoiding the law by using the border or are you just speculating...simple question really.

Straw man argument. The regulation specifically says northern political parties are exempt and so SF are abiding to the letter of the law (in both jurisdictions). Anyhow what's all this about avoiding tax when they pay their tax? To be honest Apples you are just being silly on so many levels here - at least Muppet had the foresight to get out gracefully when he was given a chance.
At no stage have I said they are breaking the law. I am making the point that in my opinion if they are using the border to avoid breaking the law in the South then this is a stroke...not illegal but still a stroke. In my opinion and I state that as a Northern nationalist.

Well you did say that:
"If this is the case then in my view it is no different than someone evading their tax liability...fraud in other words.[/quote]
Fraud is illegal.
[/quote]
Nally, you still haven't answered the question as to whether or not you know for a fact if this is what SF are doing and if they are then yes I believe it is tantamount to defrauding the exchequer in the ROI...not technically illegal but not principled. So is this the case? We can agree to disagree on the legality and morality.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 20, 2011, 01:25:11 PM
Let me explain SF TD's earn money in the South. The law states that they can only donate a certain amount to the Party. They avoid breaking this law by donating the money in the North, hence opening them selves to accusations of hypocracy at the vey least. To my mind this is the same as evading your tax liabilities, you can put any spin you like on it but it is a stroke and SF are quite good at pointing out the strokes that other Political parties pull. So can you state categorically that this is the case, ie that they are avoiding the law by using the border or are you just speculating...simple question really.

Straw man argument. The regulation specifically says northern political parties are exempt and so SF are abiding to the letter of the law (in both jurisdictions). Anyhow what's all this about avoiding tax when they pay their tax? To be honest Apples you are just being silly on so many levels here - at least Muppet had the foresight to get out gracefully when he was given a chance.
At no stage have I said they are breaking the law. I am making the point that in my opinion if they are using the border to avoid breaking the law in the South then this is a stroke...not illegal but still a stroke. In my opinion and I state that as a Northern nationalist.

Well you did say that:
"If this is the case then in my view it is no different than someone evading their tax liability...fraud in other words.
Fraud is illegal.
[/quote]
Nally, you still haven't answered the question as to whether or not you know for a fact if this is what SF are doing and if they are then yes I believe it is tantamount to defrauding the exchequer in the ROI...not technically illegal but not principled. So is this the case? We can agree to disagree on the legality and morality.
[/quote]

I have answered your question two days ago on this thread when I said I "assume" it is how the mechanics are arranged. If I am right then what you are saying is "Not technically illegal" can be better described as "legal". If I am wrong, then does that mean there are any grounds to accuse them of fraud?!! Or would it perhaps mean that it is done in another way? If the other way was illegal or immoral, don't you think the Dublin media would have been onto it by now? You really are onto a complete non-argument of an argument.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ross matt

Quote from: Declan on October 20, 2011, 01:20:57 PM

McCabe family: McGuinness not a suitable President
Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 12:49 PM

The widow of Detective Garda Jerry McCabe, who was shot dead in an attempted robbery, has accused Martin McGuinness of refusing to assist gardaí in catching the killers of those who died serving the state.

Anne McCabe hit out at the Sinn Féin presidential candidate, maintaining his past cannot be ignored and brushed aside in the interests of peace.

Det Gda McCabe was shot dead on June 7, 1996 outside Adare post office, Co Limerick. Four Provisional IRA members were convicted of his killing.

Mrs McCabe said her family wants to move on and resume what passes for a normal life without a father, husband and brother.

"We can't move on if Mr McGuinness assumes he can aspire to the symbolic status of first citizen without first discharging the most basic responsibility of any citizen," she said.

"If Martin McGuinness cannot or will not assist the authorities with its investigations into the murders of police officers, soldiers and prison officers how can we expect the rule of law to prevail under his presidency?

"This is a moment of truth for all of us."

In today's statement, the McCabe family accuses Martin McGuinness of meeting one of the men convicted of Detective Garda Jerry McCabe's killing, Kevin Walsh, while he (Walsh) was on the run.

A spokesperson for Martin McGuinness has denied meeting Walsh while he was a wanted man.

The spokesman said Mr McGuiness has unreservedly condemned the killing of Jerry McCabe and added he could never stand over any attacks on the gardaí.

Mrs McCabe called on all other candidates seeking the office of president to demand Mr McGuinness co-operate with gardaí into its ongoing inquiries into the terrorist crimes that claimed the lives of servants of the Republic.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/mccabe-family-mcguinness-not-a-suitable-president-525081.html#ixzz1bK8zZ200

You're gonna really "bore" some of the posters on here Declan.

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 20, 2011, 01:33:57 PM

Well you did say that:
"If this is the case then in my view it is no different than someone evading their tax liability...fraud in other words.
Fraud is illegal.
[/quote]

I have answered your question two days ago on this thread when I said I "assume" it is how the mechanics are arranged. If I am right then what you are saying is "Not technically illegal" can be better described as "legal". If I am wrong, then does that mean there are any grounds to accuse them of fraud?!! Or would it perhaps mean that it is done in another way? If the other way was illegal or immoral, don't you think the Dublin media would have been onto it by now? You really are onto a complete non-argument of an argument.
[/quote]

Wow  :o
Nally uses the Dublin media as his moral guage  :o :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Applesisapples

Well you did say that:
Fraud is illegal.
[/quote]

[/quote]
You assume, therfore you don't know thankyou. I therefore withdraw my comments based on the fact that all this shit about what SF do or don't do with thier salaries is still unknown. But I reserve my position.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on October 20, 2011, 01:46:56 PM

Well you did say that:
Fraud is illegal.

[/quote]

Wow  :o
Nally uses the Dublin media as his moral guage  :o :D
[/quote]

As word twisting goes, that pushes the boundaries right out!!  :D
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 20, 2011, 01:55:36 PM
You assume, therfore you don't know thankyou.
I did say as much two days ago, I also assumed you would have read that before you took it upon yourself to question me on the topic.

I therefore withdraw my comments based on the fact that all this shit about what SF do or don't do with thier salaries is still unknown. But I reserve my position.
Clear as mud!

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 20, 2011, 02:01:46 PM
I did say as much two days ago, I also assumed you would have read that before you took it upon yourself to question me on the topic.

I therefore withdraw my comments based on the fact that all this shit about what SF do or don't do with thier salaries is still unknown. But I reserve my position.
Clear as mud!
I mean if the case is as you are assuming then I personally think it is a stroke and not very principled. It is a manipulation of partition from a party that espouses a 32 county republic and to me, and you will no doubt disagree, but to me it is tantamount to defrauding tax payers in the republic. sshimples!! :)

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 20, 2011, 02:56:35 PM

Clear as mud!
I mean if the case is as you are assuming then I personally think it is a stroke and not very principled. It is a manipulation of partition from a party that espouses a 32 county republic and to me, and you will no doubt disagree, but to me it is tantamount to defrauding tax payers in the republic. sshimples!! :)

Do as we say, not as we do (or did!).
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Clear as mud!

Defrauding tax payers? Care to explain?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 20, 2011, 03:02:08 PM

Clear as mud!

It is more being disingenuous to the voters of the Republic. I wonder if Sinn Fein were to make it very clear to the voters of the Republic that this money is being funnelled out of the Irish states economy would they be impressed.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

sheamy

When we get an Irish Republic, we'll discuss it...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: sheamy on October 20, 2011, 03:52:09 PM
When we get an Irish Republic, we'll discuss it...

The Irish Republic exists, Fact.

NAG1

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 20, 2011, 03:48:54 PM

Clear as mud!

It is more being disingenuous to the voters of the Republic. I wonder if Sinn Fein were to make it very clear to the voters of the Republic that this money is being funnelled out of the Irish states economy would they be impressed.

A little late for the Irish citizens to get worried about where their money is getting funnelled too.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: NAG1 on October 20, 2011, 03:53:54 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 20, 2011, 03:48:54 PM

Clear as mud!

A little late for the Irish citizens to get worried about where their money is getting funnelled too.

Hey SF are screaming blue murder about it going to the German economy, but have no problem with sending it to the United Kingdom economy. Germany or the UK, makes little difference to someone on the dole in Nenagh or someone losing their job in AVIVA.