Qualifiers

Started by snoopdog, May 30, 2011, 03:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Seems to be a bit of confusion as to whether Antrim play Westmeath at 2pm or 3pm.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Orior on June 13, 2011, 08:37:09 PM
Seems to be a bit of confusion as to whether Antrim play Westmeath at 2pm or 3pm.

Both. The hurlers play this Saturday at 3pm, the footballers are the week after at 2pm

Don Johnson

So what matches do you think will be televised? Who has the rights for the qualifiers?

Obviously Louth Meath will be. Possibly two others?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Don Johnson on June 13, 2011, 09:58:43 PM
So what matches do you think will be televised? Who has the rights for the qualifiers?

Obviously Louth Meath will be. Possibly two others?

I'd say one more Cavan v Longford.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross4life

I would like to see London v Fermanagh on TV is would be a big boost to London GAA to have a game televised but i guess the 1.30 throw in rules that out.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

armaghniac

QuoteI would like to see London v Fermanagh on TV is would be a big boost to London GAA to have a game televised

Let the TV in London show it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on June 14, 2011, 12:10:19 AM
I would like to see London v Fermanagh on TV is would be a big boost to London GAA to have a game televised but i guess the 1.30 throw in rules that out.
I'm sure anyone in London that's interested will go to the game.
I suspect they wont have much problem fitting them in.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Blowitupref

To keep this thread ticking over, teams that will be in the draw for round 2

Limerick
    Waterford
    Derry/Armagh
    Donegal/Tyrone
    Leitrim
    Galway/Mayo
    Kildare/Dublin
    Wexford/Carlow
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

PAULD123

Definatley some tough draws coming up in round 2. Any one of Armagh/Derry, Mayo/Galway or Dublin/Kildare, and even Donegal/Tyrone will mean either a division1 or very good division 2 side being in the hat. That's four teams out of eight that anyone would want to avoid

macdanger2

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 14, 2011, 07:24:08 PM
Definatley some tough draws coming up in round 2. Any one of Armagh/Derry, Mayo/Galway or Dublin/Kildare, and even Donegal/Tyrone will mean either a division1 or very good division 2 side being in the hat. That's four teams out of eight that anyone would want to avoid

Yeah, any of those four could easily be a provincial final - it might actually be an advantage to the 4 losing teams however to lose in a semi-final rather than a final considering the record of provincial finalists in Rd 4 qualifiers.

armaghniac

QuoteYeah, any of those four could easily be a provincial final - it might actually be an advantage to the 4 losing teams however to lose in a semi-final rather than a final considering the record of provincial finalists in Rd 4 qualifiers.

It might. If some of these "top ten" teams get beaten at this stage and they get somebody like the winners of Westmeath/Antrim then they are on the road again, if they get a Div 1 team like Monaghan or Down they might not proceed and it wouldn't be great season.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

PAULD123

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2011, 07:38:37 PM
Yeah, any of those four could easily be a provincial final - it might actually be an advantage to the 4 losing teams however to lose in a semi-final rather than a final considering the record of provincial finalists in Rd 4 qualifiers.

The record is staggering. Out of 40 Round 4 qualifiers since the back-door began, only 15 losing provincial finalists have made it through to the quarter finals (37%). 2005 was the only year all four losing finalist went through, but in 2010, 2004 & 2003 none made it at all.

This could be because provincial finals rarely have the best two teams in the final. They have the best teams either side of a draw. So they normally have the best team (who has beaten the second best team on the way to the final) playing the team that came through the "weak" half of the draw, or had a lucky victory. That means the losing finalists have to play the teams that in truth would have been the second best in each province.

Basically it's not that getting to provincial final is of any disadvantage at all when entering the qualifiers it is simply that being in the weak half of the draw, or a weak provincial tournament is an unrealistic advantage which is shown up when you have to face the best of the rest from the stronger provinces/draws.

snoopdog

Do the 8 that come hrough this round of qualifiers be drawn agianst the 8 losing semi finalists?
Or is it an open draw?

western exile

Quote from: snoopdog on June 15, 2011, 12:24:06 PM
Do the 8 that come hrough this round of qualifiers be drawn agianst the 8 losing semi finalists?
Or is it an open draw?
The former.
Round 3 is the only round that is open draw (because there are only qualifiers in it)