USFC Armagh v Derry, St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 19th June 2pm

Started by oakleafgael, May 29, 2011, 09:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: DoireGael on June 17, 2011, 12:46:15 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 17, 2011, 12:36:50 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on June 17, 2011, 12:23:54 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on June 17, 2011, 11:50:10 AM
I hear Paddy Bradley is back training with the County Squad and could be a shock inclusion in the panel for Sunday!

Anthony Tohill is back training as well.

That's just silly.....he's way past it!

John Brennan was up his house last night I heard. Tohill is 7 feet tall. ... if he were there he'd consume Armagh with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.

I suppose if Graham Geraghty can do it then why not?  We'll hardly need him for this game though....we'll keep him in reserve for the final.
;D

sheamy

Ahh, 'tis great banter. You wouldn't get craic like this with Tyrone now lads. Dour hures.

HiMucker

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 17, 2011, 12:53:06 PM
I hear Paddy Bradley is back training with the County Squad and could be a shock inclusion in the panel for Sunday!

John Brennan was up his house last night I heard. Tohill is 7 feet tall. ... if he were there he'd consume Armagh with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Ye see thats a load of shite!  There's only one man can do that

No...it cant be..surely not..... Is that Billy Joe padden, fcuk he looks raring to go, I retract all earlier statements!

sheamy

Quote from: HiMucker on June 17, 2011, 01:31:07 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 17, 2011, 12:53:06 PM

Ye see thats a load of shite!  There's only one man can do that

No...it cant be..surely not..... Is that Billy Joe padden, fcuk he looks raring to go, I retract all earlier statements!

so it is sur...and andy mallon behind him too...

Club Rossa

I'll give the Bridge bar a miss Sheamy,don't like crossing over the bridge to the dark side unless it's absolutely necessary ;)

armaghniac

Quotehopefully it dries up a bit or it could turn out to be a very scrappy affair.

Weather should be decent enough, by the sounds of things it will be dry in Clones until 4pm anyway and probably not excessively hot either, except under Brennan's collar.

Sunday will begin dry, and there'll be some sunny breaks in the north and east. However rain will arrive in the southwest by midday and will the spread northeast to all parts later in the evening and overnight Sunday.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Goats Do Shave

So much for the best full forward line in the country!!!  :D

DoireGael

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on June 17, 2011, 02:01:29 PM

:D :D  ;)

tbrick18

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on June 17, 2011, 02:01:29 PM

Best full forward line against the best full back line... lol!

You better hope I dont see u in Clones goats....I might just have to bust ye! ;)

Will Hunting

I can't understand why some people believe Derry will be set up defensively on Sunday. John Brennan hasn't put a defensive-minded side out at any stage this year, so it's hard to fathom why he would do so against a team that really only contains two scoring forwards.

People seem to have got it into their heads that Armagh are playing some sort of new attacking style of football. I don't believe this to be the case, I think it was something they stumbled across against Down. Down's forward line was totally ineffective, and the expertise of Armagh's defenders enabled them to get the ball in hand and set up attacks relatively quickly with Down on the back foot.

Padden and Mackin certainly weren't on the field for their scoring ability, and that half-forward line will struggle to score six points again for the whole remainder of the season. 

Anyway, the Down Armagh game is irrelevant. If you want a barometer then a closer one is probably last year's preliminary game. Armagh won by three points, while Derry missed a late penalty and had Eoin Bradley harshly sent off. In other words there was very little between the teams. In fact, I thought Armagh were a poor enough outfit as Monaghan confirmed a few weeks later. I don't think they've changed that much to be honest.

The only problem from a Derry perspective is that we're worse! And we're missing Fergal Doherty/Paddy Bradley/Gerard O'Kane. Arguably our three best/most effective players.

I expect Armagh to lean heavily on their defence. It's easily their strongest area, and Brendan Donaghy is an excellent full-back. So, Derry's attacking approach may not necessarily reap dividends and the packed defence is something we've always struggled with. Between Clarke, McDonnell, and maybe Aaron Kernan, Armagh should get enough scores to win the game.

Armagh aren't great, but all-round they're better than this Derry team.

sheamy

good post will and I agree entirely. As I said the other day, Armagh will revert to type (if they ever really changed). Twelve men in defence and play on the counter.

They'll focus on trying to turn over the ball a) in our full back line and then b) on their 40 when they're camped in. Quick breaks or turnovers to create goal chances for the two boys up front. It makes sense. Comes down to how many mistakes in possession Derry make and how much ball Derry can win at midfield. Go down in either aspect and it's goodnight.

tbrick18

Quote from: Will Hunting on June 17, 2011, 02:29:19 PM
I can't understand why some people believe Derry will be set up defensively on Sunday. John Brennan hasn't put a defensive-minded side out at any stage this year, so it's hard to fathom why he would do so against a team that really only contains two scoring forwards.

People seem to have got it into their heads that Armagh are playing some sort of new attacking style of football. I don't believe this to be the case, I think it was something they stumbled across against Down. Down's forward line was totally ineffective, and the expertise of Armagh's defenders enabled them to get the ball in hand and set up attacks relatively quickly with Down on the back foot.

Padden and Mackin certainly weren't on the field for their scoring ability, and that half-forward line will struggle to score six points again for the whole remainder of the season. 

Anyway, the Down Armagh game is irrelevant. If you want a barometer then a closer one is probably last year's preliminary game. Armagh won by three points, while Derry missed a late penalty and had Eoin Bradley harshly sent off. In other words there was very little between the teams. In fact, I thought Armagh were a poor enough outfit as Monaghan confirmed a few weeks later. I don't think they've changed that much to be honest.

The only problem from a Derry perspective is that we're worse! And we're missing Fergal Doherty/Paddy Bradley/Gerard O'Kane. Arguably our three best/most effective players.

I expect Armagh to lean heavily on their defence. It's easily their strongest area, and Brendan Donaghy is an excellent full-back. So, Derry's attacking approach may not necessarily reap dividends and the packed defence is something we've always struggled with. Between Clarke, McDonnell, and maybe Aaron Kernan, Armagh should get enough scores to win the game.

Armagh aren't great, but all-round they're better than this Derry team.

Unfortunately I agree!
BUT....I think Armagh's defence are what they were either. I think if you run at them....which Derry will do, they will struggle.
Armagh arent great, but they are probably still better than us :(

Derry by 1point.

See yous Sunday....

lemallon

I got my season ticket today.  Section KO row C.  Can anyone confirm this is 3 rows from the front of the stand.  And if it is the case it is a total disgrace that a supporter who was prepared to travel to both Mayo and Cork is treated to one of the worst seats possible.  Not good enough.

lemallon

Quote from: hardstation on June 18, 2011, 12:08:16 AM
Why is 3 rows from the front "one of the worst seats possible"?

You cant be serious hardstation.  All you see is legs and have absolutely no perspective on flight of the ball or players positioning.  It is terrible place to be.  They can stuff it.  Ill be going to the hill and you can have ticket if you want.  NO CHARGE.

Orangemac

Quote from: Will Hunting on June 17, 2011, 02:29:19 PM

Think there may be an element of truth to this Will. We had Down on the back foot early on a wet pitch and confidence grew from there. Hopefully we can continue with this style of play because we have good enough defenders to go man to man against most teams.

If Charlie Vernon keeps up his form between him, Toner, Mackin and Padden Armagh will hopefully win the majority of possession which might be enough to see us home.