USFC Armagh v Derry, St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 19th June 2pm

Started by oakleafgael, May 29, 2011, 09:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

Quote from: bcarrier on June 19, 2011, 03:56:43 PM
Brollys comments on Paddy O'Rourke were unnecessary and nasty . Saying that in his opinion Paddy O Rourke is not a great man to see and make a switch might be considered analysis.To say POR is a " bad manager" and " I dont rate him" is not.

+1

Carmen Stateside

Mc Donnell passed off another good goal chance when they were still in it, he decided to pass it over to Clarke who palmed against the post.  I thought he was in a better spot to shoot.
Well impressed with Derry, Brennen will keep there feet on the ground, they could be in the shake up this year.  Tyrone and Donegal both would have to up their performance to beat them in the UF.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 19, 2011, 02:45:35 PM
Did Canavan buy up the wardrobe when The Sopranos finished?

Quote of the day !
Didn't see that coming at all. The four goals were great as a neutral. Armagh were clearly focussed on the Down game and Derry ambushed them big-time. Bradley and Lynch were unmarkable. Brolly was funny- however, disagree with his assessment that Stevie from Killeavy is on the wane; he set up O'Rourke's goal , was flawless from the dead ball and a threat every time. Hat off to John Brennan -enjoyed his pre-match interviews and he's clearly a very bright man- recognises the importance of man-management, particularly for amateur players

Donnellys Hollow

McDonnell would have buried at least two of those goal chances five or six years ago.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Aaron Boone

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 19, 2011, 04:46:39 PM
Armagh could meet Down in the qualifiers.

Hopefully we get Kildare/Dublin - they can put us out of our misery.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on June 19, 2011, 04:49:09 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 19, 2011, 04:46:39 PM
Armagh could meet Down in the qualifiers.

Hopefully we get Kildare/Dublin - they can put us out of our misery.
Not this time, all semi-finalists on same side of the draw.

fitzroyalty

Congratulations Derry, hope they go on to win it, well overdue an Ulster for a such a good footballing county. Made Armagh look like wee boys there today.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: RMDrive on June 19, 2011, 04:23:54 PM
Brollys comments on Paddy O'Rourke were unnecessary and nasty . Saying that in his opinion Paddy O Rourke is not a great man to see and make a switch might be considered analysis.To say POR is a " bad manager" and " I dont rate him" is not.

+1

But entirely accurate.

Well beaten by a superior team on the day. I must say I disagree entirely with the analysis that Armagh were too defensive. If anything we weren't defensive enough and should have put a sweeper in front of Bradley when it became obvious that he was causing so much damage. Felt sorry for Jamie Clarke, threatened to have a stormer early on but simply didn't get a reasonable supply of ball.

Disappointing that Stevie McDonnell missed two gilt edged goal chances, striking both straight at the keeper. Had the second half goal chance gone in, Armagh were a point ahead and well in the match. It was saved and a minute later Derry had the ball in the net and were home and hosed 7 points clear.

Hearty - Keeps you on the edge of the seat but generally makes the right decision to come out and challenge for balls while others would remain rooted to their line - 7

Mallon - Badly at fault for second goal - 5

Donaghy - Roasted by Bradley early on, a similar fate was to befall 2 teammates - 4

Dyas - Not in the game much - 5

Kernan - Appeared hampered by injury - 5

McKeever - Lack of match sharpness understandable given that he's played once since March, Bradley got much the better of him - 5

Vincie Martin - It's not his fault he was put in that position - 4

Toner - Ineffectual around the middle, curbed Lynch slightly in second half - 5

Vernon - Never really got going but perhaps the better of the two at midfield - 6

T Kernan - Anonymous - 4

Padden - Couldn't get into the match - 5

Mackin - Thought Mal battled hard, broke a few balls and generally did alright without being spectacular - 6.5

O'Rourke - Took his goal very well - 7

McDonnell - 2 great goal chances went begging, unusually quiet from play for the 2nd match in the row but excellent free-taking. Is this the first time he's regularly kicked frees from the ground? - 6

Clarke - Threatened to cause havoc int he first half but the supply soon dried up - 7

Subs

Lavery - Caught a couple of balls when introduced - 6

None of the other subs were any addition
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 19, 2011, 05:51:15 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on June 19, 2011, 04:23:54 PM

+1

But entirely accurate.

Well beaten by a superior team on the day. I must say I disagree entirely with the analysis that Armagh were too defensive. If anything we weren't defensive enough and should have put a sweeper in front of Bradley when it became obvious that he was causing so much damage. Felt sorry for Jamie Clarke, threatened to have a stormer early on but simply didn't get a reasonable supply of ball.

Disappointing that Stevie McDonnell missed two gilt edged goal chances, striking both straight at the keeper. Had the second half goal chance gone in, Armagh were a point ahead and well in the match. It was saved and a minute later Derry had the ball in the net and were home and hosed 7 points clear.

Hearty - Keeps you on the edge of the seat but generally makes the right decision to come out and challenge for balls while others would remain rooted to their line - 7

Mallon - Badly at fault for second goal - 5

Donaghy - Roasted by Bradley early on, a similar fate was to befall 2 teammates - 4

Dyas - Not in the game much - 5

Kernan - Appeared hampered by injury - 5

McKeever - Lack of match sharpness understandable given that he's played once since March, Bradley got much the better of him - 5

Vincie Martin - It's not his fault he was put in that position - 4

Toner - Ineffectual around the middle, curbed Lynch slightly in second half - 5

Vernon - Never really got going but perhaps the better of the two at midfield - 6

T Kernan - Anonymous - 4

Padden - Couldn't get into the match - 5

Mackin - Thought Mal battled hard, broke a few ball and generally did alright without being spectacular - 6.5

O'Rourke - Took his goal very well - 7

McDonnell - 2 great goal chances went begging, unusually quiet from play for the 2nd match in the row but excellent free-taking. Is this the first time he's regularly kicked frees from the ground? - 6

Clarke - Threatened to cause havoc int he first half but the supply soon dried up - 7

Subs

Lavery - Caught a couple of balls when introduced - 6

None of the other subs were any addition

Didnt even realise he was on the picth untill he was substituted.

screenexile

As was said on TV. Armagh are probably not as good as they looked against Down and not as bad as they looked today. Someone said about Jamie Clarke not being as good as Brogan or Gooch. Put him in Kerry or Dublin's full forward line and he would look every bit as good as those two. He got no service today and in fairness to him we looked at panic stations whenever he touched the ball.

We have had a bad rep down the years of being chokers/not having the players etc. I always believed we did have the players (Until last year maybe) and today I was proved right. Our lads have pedigree and a lot of them have done it at Minor/Schools/Club/Sigerson level. It probably took a Messiah like Brennan to get it out of them.

Again I will state that we are not All Ireland contenders but we have made a step in the direction which is all anyone from Derry was hoping for at this stage. Well done to all involved that was superb!!

brokencrossbar1

Slow decisions on the sideline to make changes were crucial.  Mallon should have been on Skinner, Donaghy on Gilligan, McKeever should have been pushed onto Lynch as he was the only defender who had the physicality for him.  HF line anonymous and allowed the Derry HB line to attack too easy.  Very slear that once Derry got ahead they dropped McGuckian back in front of the FF line and pressure should have been put on him by going to a flat 15.  MOR should not have been taken off, Padden was anonymous TK hit a few decent balls in 1st half but drifted out badly.  No ball-player in CHF is killing the front 2. 

sheamy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 19, 2011, 06:33:46 PM
Slow decisions on the sideline to make changes were crucial.  Mallon should have been on Skinner, Donaghy on Gilligan, McKeever should have been pushed onto Lynch as he was the only defender who had the physicality for him.  HF line anonymous and allowed the Derry HB line to attack too easy.  Very slear that once Derry got ahead they dropped McGuckian back in front of the FF line and pressure should have been put on him by going to a flat 15.  MOR should not have been taken off, Padden was anonymous TK hit a few decent balls in 1st half but drifted out badly.  No ball-player in CHF is killing the front 2.

god almighty couldn't have marked Skinner today. I doubt Mallon would have made much of an impression tbh. As I said all week, Armagh would be in two minds about these two styles of football. The failure to revert to blanket defence cost. You cannot go man for man on the likes of skinner, lynch and gilligan. Armagh are the first team not to play blanket defence against Derry in about 10 years in the ulster championship.

ONeill

Saw this coming a mile off. Dublin are Armagh's only rivals when it comes to complacency.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

naka

best team won-lynch and bradley excellent saying that stevie`s miss and derry goal game changers
brennan had his tactics to a tee-- good luck in the final
hopefully we meet someone to put us out of our misery