Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overthebar!

think the bbc should introduce fanzone commentary similar to that of sky for the derry v armagh game with screenexile v  orior. that would make for interesting viewing now!

Orior

Orior "ARMAGH SNAFFLE OUT YET ANOTHER DERRY-HI ATTACK AND HERE COMES AK WITH THE BALL and... hang on... hang on... look at the knockers on that bird in the stand below us... jeez... I would... dont like the look of yours though.... whoops, Armagh have another point, dont know who scored it... "

Screenexile "Gimme that microphone ye bollix and get out of this commentary box"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orior on May 30, 2011, 11:03:15 AM
Mark,

You're doing a fine job - you cant please every hoor, especially those that like to use message boards. Maybe someone can advise what sports commentators are meant to do. For example would it be:

- provide technical knowledge (what is a foul, what isnt, etc)
- read the game (who has the momentum, who's shoulders are dopping)
- provide tactical insight (switches required, and why managers make switches, how effective are their tactics)
- provide personnel info (player background)
- keep up with the play
and finally
- keep it interesting (make conversation when the ball is out of play etc etc)
He's not the worst, Canning and Morrisey may sound a little better but they and Carney and Duignan continously get the reason why the ref has blown wrong even though they watch the replay. And they also spout shit stories.

AZOffaly

Duignan very seldom gets it wrong in the hurling.

I can't abide Ger Canning. 'Where have Tipp gone, where have they gone?'

Bang, Bang two points. Bang Benny Dunne goal. There they are Ger.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 30, 2011, 05:27:33 PM

Just be glad you weren't listening to it on the radio, Marty Morrissey was telling the listeners what colour of helmets some players were wearing, which was handy.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tommo2

There is a fella from Longford who sometimes commentates on the Down games on radio. I like his no-bull style.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 30, 2011, 05:27:33 PM
easy enough when he only comments after the refs decision is made. Generally agrees with everything the ref does.
I found myself in disagreement with a few of his interpretations of the rules (Duignan and I suppose the ref also) on sunday.
Duignan was one thick plank with no sense of humour, very easy to wind up and a better footballer than a hurler imo only that he preferred the hurling!

PAULD123

The commentary is dire but I find it fairly harmless. The general lack of professional presentation is galling though. In particular the camera work. It was infuriating to be watching long images of Paddy O'Rourke pointing while in fact the game was going on. At least 5 kickouts were not shown and in fact Sidebottom had to, at one point start explaining what was happening as he realised we were not being allowed to see it.

Very annoyed about the editing, we tune in to watch the game not pictures of a baby in the stands!

Fuzzman

Totally agree Pauld123.

Of course, no-one likes to see someone they know get slated but to me the BBC commentary and camera work is poor. The main focus should be always on the live match when the ball is in play & commentary should only really veer away from this when there is a break in play or there is nothing much happening.

A lot of people seem to be standing up for Sidebottom just cos they know him & think he's a sound lad. Fair enough but do you really think his commentary skills are up to scratch?
I think its always obvious that whoever is co-commentating with him always seems embarassed to be involved and often don't take up on any of his asides.

I wonder how Thomas Kane would get on with it?

5 Sams

Quote from: Tommo2 on May 30, 2011, 08:25:10 PM
There is a fella from Longford who sometimes commentates on the Down games on radio. I like his no-bull style.

That's Jack Devenney....knows his stuff alright...........as for his mate Tigger...... :-[ :-[
The Aristocrat Years

Orior

What about the legendary Frank (thats my real name) Mitchell?

He used to commentate on the Ulster minor matches until he realised it was an impendiment to his monumental career aspirations.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

borderfox

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 31, 2011, 08:00:04 PM
No one has been better than the legendary Jimmy Smyth.  His TV commentary of the 2002 AI final was the peak of his career.

Agreed. Jimmy the legend.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Rav67

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 31, 2011, 08:00:04 PM
No one has been better than the legendary Jimmy Smyth.  His TV commentary of the 2002 AI final was the peak of his career.

Him and McGinnity were good together when they done it.  Are there many other examples of a former high-profile player going into the lead commentary position?

Tommo2

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 31, 2011, 05:00:50 PM

That's Jack Devenney....knows his stuff alright...........as for his mate Tigger...... :-[ :-[

Aye, that's him. What would he belike on the tv with someone good like caravan as his sidekick?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Tommo2 on May 31, 2011, 08:35:04 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 31, 2011, 05:00:50 PM

Aye, that's him. What would he belike on the tv with someone good like caravan as his sidekick?

is he from the travelling community
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012