Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squire_in_navy_slacks

Jarlath is much better than Oisin and Cavanagh and thats saying something......................................Cavanagh is shocking, an ear to ear grin like hes just received a packet of fruit pastilles or just seen his first pair of bangers  ;)

Carneys a bollix, a serious chip on his shoulder...................probably lost his hole in the property boom

ONeill

So it's his smile you didn't like?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

NaomhBridAbú

Cavanaghs age is not relevant. He may have some decent points to make as would most county players. But not everyone is a Tohill or an O'Rourke.

The BBC should chose someone who has a valid point to make but also the ability to make that point. Its not about 'first times' either - he was awful before yesterday, and he will be awful again

Its about capability - he spent most of the time girning, erming etc... and duking at Martin Mchugh. he should have been media trained.

He made some valid points, but again, as a footballer at that level, with that amount of success under his belt, he should know his stuff.

As a footballer he doesnt have to be a good commentator, but if i was the BBC, Id be looking for  a GOOD COMMENTATOR, which Cavanagh proved he is not.

no big deal - cant be successful at everything. One of the best footballers of his generation...just leave the punditry to the people who can do it best. Lets face it you wouldn't ask Micheal Lister to tog out at No 9 for Tyrone.

In all the BBC presentation of the game was shocking - from sidebottom, cavanagh through to denise watson asking some yoke about the colour of her nails?

The presentation of our game deserves better than that
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

ONeill

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on June 17, 2012, 05:05:28 PM

He made some valid points, but again, as a footballer at that level, with that amount of success under his belt, he should know his stuff.

As a footballer he doesnt have to be a good commentator, but if i was the BBC, Id be looking for  a GOOD COMMENTATOR, which Cavanagh proved he is not.

Sean wasn't commentating. He'll be back on the field before the end of the year and was taken on as an analyst for most likely 3 live games.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Kevin Cassidy is very articulate and should be brought in..........................enjoyed him on championship matters and various other interviews........no nonsense talk

5 Sams

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on June 17, 2012, 07:28:14 PM
Kevin Cassidy is very articulate and should be brought in..........................enjoyed him on championship matters and various other interviews........no nonsense talk

+1.... and in two languages..
The Aristocrat Years

ONeill

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on June 17, 2012, 07:28:14 PM

Cassidy has been quality in anything he has appeared in. I'd imagine it'd be a brave decision to force either McHugh or Burns out in the long term. Burns on the sideline was fine - but they'd need to make sure it's worthwhile. Sometimes he was just repeating what McConville was saying.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: ONeill on June 17, 2012, 06:59:38 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on June 17, 2012, 05:05:28 PM

Sean wasn't commentating. He'll be back on the field before the end of the year and was taken on as an analyst for most likely 3 live games.

I didn't mean commentator - meant to say pundit. Even as an analyst, he was a poor...BBC picked him just cos he is a high profile player...his selection wasn't based on media savvy or talent thats for sure...BBC just trying to pull audience for the game over RTE
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Orchardman

I only seen a bit of it, and it was a worthwhile idea to get cavanagh in since he's out for the year injured and could offer some modern insight since it's been burns and mchugh for over a decade now ( though i think their both decent pundits and work well together). I don't know cavanagh, he seems like someone who probably enjoys the limelight and could see all this as opening a few doors when his playing career is over in a few years. It may have been his first time in the hotseat but i have watched him interviewed many times over the years and he's brutal. Gurning, shrugging the shoulders, himming and hawwing.

As the lads have said, and i said it before somewhere, kevin cass in da man, great on TG4 with dara, even our own charlie vernon did a decent job on it a few times.

ONeill

What did he say or didn't say that was poor?

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: ONeill on June 17, 2012, 09:13:37 PM

lets just say that he didn't offer too many insights nor say anything that McConville said more coherently.

Maybe he did, but i just couldn't understand him

Tubberman

Quote from: ONeill on June 17, 2012, 09:13:37 PM

A bit over-sensitive on the whole issue O'Neill!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ONeill

Just looking for clarity. I don't know Sean Cavanagh nor have I met him.

I think Sidebottom gets a hard time too. Probably be accused of being oversensitive on that one so will let her slide.

Main Street

In the few games that I've seen on BBCNI, Sidebottom with McHugh co-commentating is a demented partnership, but McHugh would make anyone look worse. Oisin is grand as co-commentator, he doesn't waste words, is usually spot on and had a 'reducer' effect on Sidebottom's badgering inanities.

ck

Quite simply the BBC are a bunch of amateurs when compared with RTE. Sidebottom is an absolute joke, between long akward silences.. long slow lazy commantary and regularly getting players names wrong. Useless! He'd make a good game sound like a watching grass grow. I don't like McConville either. Call me a snob if you want but his accent is one long dull drone. If you listen he has very little to say which is insightful either.
At least McHugh will offer some sort of insight into what the players do at training, how they play, changes he d make etc. Cavanagh wasnt great but sure he's only a cub.

BBC need to up their game or forget about it.