Dublin vs Laois 5th june 2011

Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, May 25, 2011, 05:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boy Wonder

QuoteI don't expect to win, but I hope our boys put up a good performance, Win or Loose I am still a proud Laois man

Goal10- I'd be afraid we might be too loose around the full-back line but should we lose hopfully we'll go down with a fight and be gracious losers.

The contrast between the standard of football in the Laois-Longford game and the Armagh-Down game on Sat. night was stark - Laois need a vast improvement next Sunday. I've no doubt they'll give it their best shot but I'm not sure there is enough quality in the team / panel.

Coddler

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 30, 2011, 12:07:14 PM
QuoteThe best advice I would give laois is to try and play football, and not start any physical battles with our lads, the myth of laois size is dead and buried imho as you have some bigger lads around the park than us, dont try and prove that on the day though. because goombeens like sheehan will get themselves sent off or battered

Sorry but this Dublin team are the most least intimidating in recent memory, in fact I would say they are soft, where are all the Keith Barrs gone!!! They need a couple of tough b**tards imho.

The Dubs were lacking a bit of hardness a couple of years ago but I think they have that fixed now. Phiily McMahon is well able to handle himself as Shields discovered in the tunnel during the league final. Ger Brennan is hardy enough and Bastic had an Armagh lad stretchered off with a ferocious but fair challenge in the league. O'Gara too is not the sort you would like to meet in a dark alley either.....

squire_in_navy_slacks

I think both teams need to concentrate on playing football and not worry about whos the hardest, still though gobshite sheehan will defo try something on the day...............

This is going to be a lot closer than people think

haze

Quote from: Coddler on May 31, 2011, 03:42:32 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 30, 2011, 12:07:14 PM
QuoteThe best advice I would give laois is to try and play football, and not start any physical battles with our lads, the myth of laois size is dead and buried imho as you have some bigger lads around the park than us, dont try and prove that on the day though. because goombeens like sheehan will get themselves sent off or battered

Sorry but this Dublin team are the most least intimidating in recent memory, in fact I would say they are soft, where are all the Keith Barrs gone!!! They need a couple of tough b**tards imho.

The Dubs were lacking a bit of hardness a couple of years ago but I think they have that fixed now. Phiily McMahon is well able to handle himself as Shields discovered in the tunnel during the league final. Ger Brennan is hardy enough and Bastic had an Armagh lad stretchered off with a ferocious but fair challenge in the league. O'Gara too is not the sort you would like to meet in a dark alley either.....

Maybe but to be honest from an outsider looking in, I think Ger Brennan and Bastic should not make their first choice 15. They are for me the most likely players on that team to get sent off as well. Billy should target them!

squire_in_navy_slacks

I rate ger brennan highly................ bastic and ger have hard hard sides to there game but gilroy has worked immeasurably to tone it down slightly, sheehan will be barking up the wrong tree here, btw sheehan is no hard man, hes a walking tool

Ger has accounted for geezer even, in dublin club football

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 31, 2011, 04:50:05 PM
I rate ger brennan highly................ bastic and ger have hard hard sides to there game but gilroy has worked immeasurably to tone it down slightly, sheehan will be barking up the wrong tree here, btw sheehan is no hard man, hes a walking tool

Ger Brennan is an accountant? Last I heard he was studying theology in Maynooth.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

haze

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 31, 2011, 04:50:05 PM

Ah yeah Billy Sheehan is unbelievably annoying and thats before you take into account watching him play football but despite this his honesty off effort on the field is beyond question. His two points last week were the difference between success and defeat. And another point worth noting is that now 4 successive Laois managers (micko, kearns, dempsey and mcnulty) have considered him good enough to be worthy of a starting spot on team. Why i'm not so sure but they must see something!

Id like to know the backgroud of how Brennan accounted for McGeeney....

Question for dublin posters would Cian O'Sullivan or even Griffin be centre back if they were fully fit?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Cian would probably pull on the 6 jersey, but not griff, i think griif may even struggle to make the starting 15 this year

We have lots of defensive options, its midfield Im worried about, whelan has left a massive void there

Canalman

Can honestly see this one heading for extra time.

Probably will be sending offs and all, a very bitter/ nasty rivalry between the two counties has arisen in the last 10 years or so.
Major worry for me is O'Sullivan's inability to keep himself fit and O'Carroll's recent return only to training.

haze

Quote from: Canalman on May 31, 2011, 05:21:08 PM

Probably will be sending offs and all, a very bitter/ nasty rivalry between the two counties has arisen in the last 10 years or so.
Major worry for me is O'Sullivan's inability to keep himself fit and O'Carroll's recent return only to training.

Could be sendings off of course but wouldnt have thought the rivalry is nasty/bitter. Games in 2003 and 2005 were great games of football with no malice that i can remember. 2006 was just such a bad beating there was no need for any bitterness on either side. Maybe 2007 but in fairness that Dublin team didnt endear themselves to many outsiders with their carry on.

Maybe i am forgetting something though!

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 31, 2011, 05:07:12 PM
Cian would probably pull on the 6 jersey, but not griff, i think griif may even struggle to make the starting 15 this year

We have lots of defensive options, its midfield Im worried about, whelan has left a massive void there

Just bring him back then.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: haze on May 31, 2011, 05:29:13 PM
Quote from: Canalman on May 31, 2011, 05:21:08 PM

Could be sendings off of course but wouldnt have thought the rivalry is nasty/bitter. Games in 2003 and 2005 were great games of football with no malice that i can remember. 2006 was just such a bad beating there was no need for any bitterness on either side. Maybe 2007 but in fairness that Dublin team didnt endear themselves to many outsiders with their carry on.

Maybe i am forgetting something though
!

Bloody correct, I remember laois fans in 2003 with some fondness..................... unreal boil from them

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Jinxy on May 31, 2011, 05:32:08 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 31, 2011, 05:07:12 PM

Just bring him back then.

Nope gone past it, end off

Hardy

Unreal boil ... end off - I'm understanding less and less of the world I live in and the things people say and what they might mean.