Leitrim v Roscommon 12-6-11

Started by Blowitupref, May 25, 2011, 12:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: ross4life on June 07, 2011, 03:57:21 PM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 07, 2011, 12:12:18 PM
http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Carrick_on_Shannon/long.html

Weather forecast is not great and no repeat of the scorching day 2 years ago.

Yeah was some weather in Carrick on shannon in 2009 & wasn't to bad in Hyde park last year either, this time it looks like a wash out that might suit a big strong Leitrim side.

I thought that myself coming up to the Sligo/Leitrim game but its not necessarily true. MM teams play a lot of short handpassing and short kick passing so dry conditions would help that. There was a good heavy shower before the Sligo/Leitrim game but it stayed dry during it.

Roscommon will need to play well to win this. I think they will but it could be a cracker, maybe not in terms of quality, but it will be exciting.

ross matt

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2011, 09:20:07 AM
Nerves beginning to kick in now as the time is getting closer.
We have never ( I believe) lost a  Championship game v Leitrim in Carrick which instead of being a source of comfort becomes a record wating to be broken.
We have an almost new defence since last year but no one in the County is very confident if it( conceded 2-15 ish to Wicklow who could only score 0-5 v Kildare) , midfield is middlin' and rumours of Shaq not being available for a 20 minute cameo is not very comforting, forwards - at least we have a bit of help here this year for Donie if we can get anough possession and subsequent ball up to them.
Hoping we will shade it by a few points and will be happy to be still in the Connacht Championship as we go back over the bridge to God's own land   8) Sunday evening.

Whats up with Seamie Ross?

ross4life

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 10, 2011, 02:04:55 PM
Quote from: ross4life on June 07, 2011, 03:57:21 PM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 07, 2011, 12:12:18 PM
http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Carrick_on_Shannon/long.html

Weather forecast is not great and no repeat of the scorching day 2 years ago.

Yeah was some weather in Carrick on shannon in 2009 & wasn't to bad in Hyde park last year either, this time it looks like a wash out that might suit a big strong Leitrim side.

I thought that myself coming up to the Sligo/Leitrim game but its not necessarily true. MM teams play a lot of short handpassing and short kick passing so dry conditions would help that. There was a good heavy shower before the Sligo/Leitrim game but it stayed dry during it.

Roscommon will need to play well to win this. I think they will but it could be a cracker, maybe not in terms of quality, but it will be exciting.

Maybe but looking at the forecast the weather will possibly ruin an otherwise free flowing exciting game.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: ross matt on June 10, 2011, 03:53:03 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2011, 09:20:07 AM
Nerves beginning to kick in now as the time is getting closer.
We have never ( I believe) lost a  Championship game v Leitrim in Carrick which instead of being a source of comfort becomes a record wating to be broken.
We have an almost new defence since last year but no one in the County is very confident if it( conceded 2-15 ish to Wicklow who could only score 0-5 v Kildare) , midfield is middlin' and rumours of Shaq not being available for a 20 minute cameo is not very comforting, forwards - at least we have a bit of help here this year for Donie if we can get anough possession and subsequent ball up to them.
Hoping we will shade it by a few points and will be happy to be still in the Connacht Championship as we go back over the bridge to God's own land   8) Sunday evening.

Whats up with Seamie Ross?

Neck injury, Enda Kenny is another option from the bench & Donal can also been used in midfield if needed.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Shaqeen has a bit of a twinge alright ... .although I think he's named on the announced subs list.
However I expect he won't be on the official 24 on Sunday.
Enda Kenny certainly steadied the ship , or maybe even saved the day , in the NFL game v Leitrim .
Sounds like the weather could feck things up big time .
I'm beginning to remember the spill that came after the 2000 disaster and it's not helping the oul nerves at all. :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross matt

Thanks Lads. Didnt know O'Neill was injured. Named in the subs alright. Weather forecast is shite but same for both sides I guess. Not knowing so many of the newer Leitrim side it's hard to call it but we should be able to come through this one. Roscommon forwards (particularly Cregg... Shine... Kilbride) with decent possession can do damage. Midfield is patchy at time but Finneran has improved alot and Mannion is due a big game. Both of them have a serious aerial presence that should ensure of they're not winning clean kickouts then Leitrim wont be winning them either. However in closely contested local derbies a single goal can decide the outcome and Leitrim hurt Sligo that way. Its vital Roscommon defence doesnt get caught the same way on Sunday or its game over.

James91

Quote from: Lone Shark on June 10, 2011, 10:11:40 AM
Quote from: James91 on June 09, 2011, 11:27:45 PM
I think Roscommon will win by 3 or 4 points but paddypower odds are way too short!

They've gone a three point handicap, and you think they'll win by three? How is that too short?

The match odds is just the correct price when one team is perceived to be three points better than the other.

Yea I get your point, but I mean thats what I think the result will be, but I dont think its worth putting money on as its going to be such a tight game. I dont think Roscommon are worth 2/5. Worded it a bit wrong just.

Beard

Plenty of nerves in the Roscommon camp for this one, with good reason given the disappointing performances that have dogged Roscommon in recent years however this is not a daunting fixture IMHO. I'm not saying we are world beaters but Leitrim are in rooted Division 4, have never won a game in the qualifiers and I happen to think they are actually a bit crap. 

When I looked at the draw for the Connacht championship I was sure we would be facing a fired up Sligo in this round and I was fairly dubious about us beating them 2 years in a row.

Leitrim is a different matter and I regard their win over Sligo, in which they accumulated a massive 1-10, as a bit of a lucky break for us.

I know we are all supposed to be politically correct these days but I hate watching Leitrim play. Their huffing and puffing, honest endeavor and inaccurate shooting is not the type of football I like to pay money to see.  They are a limited team, play poor quality football and drag teams down to their level especially in Carrick. Their lack of real quality is evidenced by the fact they don't win very many games. Some of the worst games I have ever seen have involved Leitrim. Leitrim only beat teams who:-
a.) forget to turn up;
b.) are also a bit crap; or
c.) are suffering from clinical depression.

While all of the above could also apply to Roscommon I'm hoping that we show what we are made of on Sunday and win playing well. If we meet Leitrim's honest endeavor head on we will have the quality to win it, possibly with a couple of points to spare. If Emelyn Mulligan scores 10 or 11 points and Leitrim win a good quality game playing well then I will be the first to congratulate them. However if either team scrapes through in a game that resembles the dire renewal of this fixture which took place in 2004 I will be displeased.

ross4life

Don't know about that beard, in 2000 we turned up almost blew Leitrim away in the 1st half & only for leitrim's passion,desire & a knock out punch from Regan got them over the line, we weren't crap as we were established div 1 team & won a Connacht title the following year.

I think your selling Leitrim short they have been unlucky in alot of games v Mayo,Galway,Meath,Donegal & indeed v us in 2003. Leitrim always have a big performance in the locker i just hope they used that up v Sligo.

boojangles

Quote from: Beard on June 10, 2011, 11:37:06 PM
Plenty of nerves in the Roscommon camp for this one, with good reason given the disappointing performances that have dogged Roscommon in recent years however this is not a daunting fixture IMHO. I'm not saying we are world beaters but Leitrim are in rooted Division 4, have never won a game in the qualifiers and I happen to think they are actually a bit crap. 

When I looked at the draw for the Connacht championship I was sure we would be facing a fired up Sligo in this round and I was fairly dubious about us beating them 2 years in a row.

Leitrim is a different matter and I regard their win over Sligo, in which they accumulated a massive 1-10, as a bit of a lucky break for us.

I know we are all supposed to be politically correct these days but I hate watching Leitrim play. Their huffing and puffing, honest endeavor and inaccurate shooting is not the type of football I like to pay money to see.  They are a limited team, play poor quality football and drag teams down to their level especially in Carrick. Their lack of real quality is evidenced by the fact they don't win very many games. Some of the worst games I have ever seen have involved Leitrim. Leitrim only beat teams who:-
a.) forget to turn up;
While all of the above could also apply to Roscommon I'm hoping that we show what we are made of on Sunday and win playing well. If we meet Leitrim's honest endeavor head on we will have the quality to win it, possibly with a couple of points to spare. If Emelyn Mulligan scores 10 or 11 points and Leitrim win a good quality game playing well then I will be the first to congratulate them. However if either team scrapes through in a game that resembles the dire renewal of this fixture which took place in 2004 I will be displeased.

Anybody got Mickey Morans email address??

Blowitupref

Quote from: boojangles on June 11, 2011, 01:32:30 PM

a.) forget to turn up;

Anybody got Mickey Morans email address??

Mickey&minnie@disney.com  :P

Seriously you will always get the one or two overconfident fans that doesn't rate the opposition & it's the same over on the Leitrim threads on HS, claiming rossies are not as good as last year & if they can beat Sligo they should have no problem defeating Roscommon.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

footy15

Leitreim should put up a good battle but expect Rossies to win by 4 or 5

ross matt

a.) forget to turn up;

Come Beard... Come right out and say what you really think :D!
Brave post buddy.

SLIGONIAN

a.) forget to turn up;

Nice to see a bit of honesty rather than usual pc bullshit, Good man Beard. I think Sligo were A,B and C the last day against Leitrim fyi.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 11, 2011, 04:17:27 PM

a.) forget to turn up;

Nice to see a bit of honesty rather than usual pc bullshit, Good man Beard. I think Sligo were A,B and C the last day against Leitrim fyi.

fyi i'm honest with all my posts & i agree with you Sligo were  A,B and C the last day against Leitrim just like we were v Longford in the league final.