Leitrim v Roscommon 12-6-11

Started by Blowitupref, May 25, 2011, 12:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on June 08, 2011, 03:29:08 PM
So have we :-
Roscommon name an unchanged team from the side that defeated New York in the opening round which means that Donal Ward, Niall Carty and Senan O'Grady will make their first Championship starts on Irish soil after making their debut's in the May 1st clash.
The team is as follows:

1 Geoffrey Claffey     (Castlerea - St. Kevins)

2 Seán McDermott     (Western Gaels)
3 Peter Domican (Capt)     (St. Brigids)
4 Niall Carty     (Padraig Pearses)

5 Ian Kilbride     (St. Brigids)
6 David Keenan     (St. Barrys)
7 Donal Ward     (Western Gaels)

8 Michael Finneran     (St. Dominics)
9 Karol Mannion     (St. Brigids)

10 Senan O'Grady     (St. Faithleachs)
11 Kevin Higgins     (Western Gaels)
12 Cathal Cregg     (Western Gaels)

13 Conor Devanney     (Kilbride)
14 Senan Kilbride     (St. Brigids)
15 Donie Shine     (Clann na nGael)

16 Mark Miley     (St. Dominic)
17 Stephen Ormsby     (St. Faithleachs)
18 James McKeague     (Creggs)
19 Seamus O'Neill     (Kilbride)
20 Ger Heneghan     (Castlerea - St. Kevins)
21 John Rogers     (Strokestown)
22 Paul Garvey     (Kilmore)
23 Niall Daly     (Padriag Pearses)
24 Enda Kenny     (Castlerea - St. Kevins)
25 Darren McDermott     (Castlerea - St. Kevins)
26 Seán Purcell     (Boyle)

Well rumour has it Ian Kilbride will be on the bench,Carty full back & Domican CHB.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AhFeckRef

Sea, is féidir linn. Creid....  ;)

Beard

Quote from: ross matt on June 11, 2011, 04:08:12 PM
Quote from: Beard on June 10, 2011, 11:37:06 PM
Plenty of nerves in the Roscommon camp for this one, with good reason given the disappointing performances that have dogged Roscommon in recent years however this is not a daunting fixture IMHO. I'm not saying we are world beaters but Leitrim are in rooted Division 4, have never won a game in the qualifiers and I happen to think they are actually a bit crap. 

When I looked at the draw for the Connacht championship I was sure we would be facing a fired up Sligo in this round and I was fairly dubious about us beating them 2 years in a row.

Leitrim is a different matter and I regard their win over Sligo, in which they accumulated a massive 1-10, as a bit of a lucky break for us.

I know we are all supposed to be politically correct these days but I hate watching Leitrim play. Their huffing and puffing, honest endeavor and inaccurate shooting is not the type of football I like to pay money to see.  They are a limited team, play poor quality football and drag teams down to their level especially in Carrick. Their lack of real quality is evidenced by the fact they don't win very many games. Some of the worst games I have ever seen have involved Leitrim. Leitrim only beat teams who:-
a.) forget to turn up;
b.) are also a bit crap; or
c.) are suffering from clinical depression.

While all of the above could also apply to Roscommon I'm hoping that we show what we are made of on Sunday and win playing well. If we meet Leitrim's honest endeavor head on we will have the quality to win it, possibly with a couple of points to spare. If Emelyn Mulligan scores 10 or 11 points and Leitrim win a good quality game playing well then I will be the first to congratulate them. However if either team scrapes through in a game that resembles the dire renewal of this fixture which took place in 2004 I will be displeased.

Come Beard... Come right out and say what you really think :D!
Brave post buddy.

I know...I'm going hard on the Rossies for this one....hope I don't have egg on my face tomorrow evening!!

Beard

Quote from: ross4life on June 11, 2011, 01:19:19 AM
Don't know about that beard, in 2000 we turned up almost blew Leitrim away in the 1st half & only for leitrim's passion,desire & a knock out punch from Regan got them over the line, we weren't crap as we were established div 1 team & won a Connacht title the following year.

I think your selling Leitrim short they have been unlucky in alot of games v Mayo,Galway,Meath,Donegal & indeed v us in 2003. Leitrim always have a big performance in the locker i just hope they used that up v Sligo.

In 2000 we should have scored 7 goals in the first half....we didn't....we thought we had the job done at half time and but we hadn't.....Leitrim played with passion and deserved to win however this does not mean they were any good, far from it, Galway annihilated them in the Connacht Final that year without getting out of 1st gear.

I firmly believe that you make your own luck.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Beard on June 12, 2011, 02:12:06 AM
Quote from: ross4life on June 11, 2011, 01:19:19 AM
Don't know about that beard, in 2000 we turned up almost blew Leitrim away in the 1st half & only for leitrim's passion,desire & a knock out punch from Regan got them over the line, we weren't crap as we were established div 1 team & won a Connacht title the following year.

I think your selling Leitrim short they have been unlucky in alot of games v Mayo,Galway,Meath,Donegal & indeed v us in 2003. Leitrim always have a big performance in the locker i just hope they used that up v Sligo.

In 2000 we should have scored 7 goals in the first half....we didn't....we thought we had the job done at half time and but we hadn't.....Leitrim played with passion and deserved to win however this does not mean they were any good, far from it, Galway annihilated them in the Connacht Final that year without getting out of 1st gear.

I firmly believe that you make your own luck.

Irrelevant, the fact was Leitrim were good enough to beat Roscommon on the day & the same could happen in 14hrs.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

I hope after seeing Beard's post Leitrim win today, I really, really do. Then again I was hoping that anyway without reading Beard's post.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tubberman

What's the weather like in Carrick? I presume it's wet and overcast like Dublin. Hope it doesn't ruin what has the potential to be a very entertaining game in front of a big, loud, passionate crowd.

I'm in two minds over who I want to win. The natural tendency is to go for the underdog and Leitrim deserve another good day - they've had too many bad days in the last few years.

But if Mayo were to beat Galway (obviously a massive if), I think a Mayo v Ros Connacht Final in the Hyde could be an electric atmosphere!
No love lost between the supporters, the Rossies are very envious of Mayo and would love to get one over on them a la 2001.
Mayo would love to beat Roscommon because of the behaviour of a sizeable number of Ros fans on the terraces/in the stand.
Now, that pot is stirred enough, I'll leave it a while  :P
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Aaron Boone

Leitrim want to play the ball into the net, they are against the wind but should still be shooting when they get the chance.
Leitrim 0-01 Ros 0-04, 17 mins

Tubberman

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 12, 2011, 02:19:08 PM
Leitrim want to play the ball into the net, they are against the wind but should still be shooting when they get the chance.
Leitrim 0-01 Ros 0-04, 17 mins

Yeah, Leitrim have plenty of possesion but are very hesitant in the forwards.
Ros kicked some fantastic scores early on, but have hit quite a few wides as well.

Goal from Shine as I type! Screamer of a shot.

1-04 to 0-01
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Maguire01

Most of this is serious rubbish. A few top quality Roscommon scores though.

orangeman

Conditions are poor to be fair to both teams.

the Deel Rover

could they not wipe the rain from the camera in the 1st half . seems to be a strong breeze. gods 1st cousin should have done better with that chance near the end
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Go home ref

Leitrim are clueless! How many times did their forwards just walk the ball into tackles in that 1st half? Are they afraid to have a shot??

western exile

classic rte commentary
"the rain has dampened the atmosphere" Darragh Maloney
"They scored from every shot. Except the one that went wide." Joe Brolly