Leitrim v Roscommon 12-6-11

Started by Blowitupref, May 25, 2011, 12:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Lone Shark, maybe you have taken rosfan post out of context?

Starts off answering the question.. can Leitrim cause another shock? yes they can

He went on to use the words "grounded" which would refer to Fergal having his troops grounded until after the NY game, "ferocious challenge & their All Ireland" it's another way to describe how Leitrim give a extra 10% everytime they play the Rossies & finally "replay in the Hyde" reference to our good record in Carrick.

I'm under no illusion to what type of battle lies ahead i'll be delighted with any type of win but won't be shocked if they beat us.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

You've summed my views up to a T there Ross4life.
Don't know what that Shark is getting his knickers in such a twist over . Quite obvious he doesnt understand the psychology and mindsets , sub plots etc getween us and our North Eastern neighbours .
Maybe it's due to a lot of them Cam folks never having been next nor near  Leitrim or its natives in their lives. :)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross matt

I dont think many Roscommon supporters will be in danger of being over confident before a championship match anytime soon. There have been too many bad days and even after the resurrection last year the Longford match in Croker recently would have lowered expectations again and reminded everyone of how fragile our standing is.

That been said Ross should be capable of winning this coming game. Whether last year was lucky or unexpected it still gave the squad alot of badly needed experience and they should be able to progress this year as a result of it. The addittion of Kilbride is also a big advantage.

Leitrim are young and raw plus they caught a poor Sligo off guard. Fergie will be expecting a full blooded close championship match and he will have the lads prepared for it to go down to the wire. I would expect will win but only by 2-3 points.

Tatler Jack

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Carrick_on_Shannon/long.html

Weather forecast is not great and no repeat of the scorching day 2 years ago.

Don't quite agree with Matt on the merits of Leitrim's win over Sligo - I think it was more than catching a "poor Sligo off guard".  By all accounts Leitrim played good football and some of the newer players impressed. Sunday will be a test for these players to see if they can repeat this and certainly Ros have more experience albeit they also are still raw enough. Really little enough to go on to call this game especially as Leitrim are a bit of an unknown quantity but we cannot discount their win over Sligo.

Lone Shark

No knickers twisted lads, I assure ye. I'm just a betting man constantly on the lookout for the psychology and mentality that teams and counties approach a game, and there is a world of difference between saying a match is "their All-Ireland" and saying that they may raise their game 10%. The two things don't say the same thing at all.

All I'll say is that I saw one warning sign putting me off backing Roscommon at the weekend, and this is another. I may be wrong, indeed I often am, but a man has to make his own judgement and this is me making mine. That is all.

ross4life

Quote from: Tatler Jack on June 07, 2011, 12:12:18 PM
http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Connacht/Carrick_on_Shannon/long.html

Weather forecast is not great and no repeat of the scorching day 2 years ago.

Yeah was some weather in Carrick on shannon in 2009 & wasn't to bad in Hyde park last year either, this time it looks like a wash out that might suit a big strong Leitrim side.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

macdanger2

Would love to see Leitrim win it but if I was betting, I'd say the draw might be the way to go

Blowitupref

I got odds of 15/2 for a draw today so i popped a few bob on that. Leitrim won't mind a replay in Hyde park either. btw is their extra time in this game if level after 70mins?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Offalylad

Have a feeling that Leitrim will continue their run and pick up a victory on Sunday.  I'd love to see them do it aswell, although I do feel that Roscommon would be better suited to challenge Mayo/Galway given their success last year and the weakness of the ''Big Two'' in Connacht this year.

Blowitupref

Mickey Moran has named an unchanged side for this weekends meeting with reigning Connacht Champions Roscommon in the Connacht Football Championship semi final.

Liatroim

1 Cathal McCrann (Gortletteragh)

2 Dermot Reynolds (Annaduff)

3 Ronan Gallagher (Mohill)

4 Paddy Maguire (Glencar Manorhamilton)

5 Barry Prior (Aughawillan)

6 Gary Reynolds (Carrigallen)

7 Wayne McKeon (Ballinamore Sean O'Heslin's)

8 Tomás Beirne (Eslin)

9 Daniel Lowe (St Mary's)

10 Paul Brennan (Melvin Gaels)

11 Emlyn Mulligan (Melvin Gaels)

12 Robert Lowe (St Mary's)

13 Adrian Croal (Glencar Manorhamilton)

14 Conor Beirne (Eslin)

15 James Glancy Capt (Glencar Manorhamilton)
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

So have we :-
Roscommon name an unchanged team from the side that defeated New York in the opening round which means that Donal Ward, Niall Carty and Senan O'Grady will make their first Championship starts on Irish soil after making their debut's in the May 1st clash.
The team is as follows:

1 Geoffrey Claffey     (Castlerea - St. Kevins)

2 Seán McDermott     (Western Gaels)
3 Peter Domican (Capt)     (St. Brigids)
4 Niall Carty     (Padraig Pearses)

5 Ian Kilbride     (St. Brigids)
6 David Keenan     (St. Barrys)
7 Donal Ward     (Western Gaels)

8 Michael Finneran     (St. Dominics)
9 Karol Mannion     (St. Brigids)

10 Senan O'Grady     (St. Faithleachs)
11 Kevin Higgins     (Western Gaels)
12 Cathal Cregg     (Western Gaels)

13 Conor Devanney     (Kilbride)
14 Senan Kilbride     (St. Brigids)
15 Donie Shine     (Clann na nGael)

16 Mark Miley     (St. Dominic)
17 Stephen Ormsby     (St. Faithleachs)
18 James McKeague     (Creggs)
19 Seamus O'Neill     (Kilbride)
20 Ger Heneghan     (Castlerea - St. Kevins)
21 John Rogers     (Strokestown)
22 Paul Garvey     (Kilmore)
23 Niall Daly     (Padriag Pearses)
24 Enda Kenny     (Castlerea - St. Kevins)
25 Darren McDermott     (Castlerea - St. Kevins)
26 Seán Purcell     (Boyle)

ross4life

So where both unchanged! we have some good options on the bench but it's a shame the like's of Casey,F.Cregg,O'Gara & C.Shine are injured.

James91

I think Roscommon will win by 3 or 4 points but paddypower odds are way too short! Leitrim will be on a high but this Roscommon team are a very close knit and focused team so i cant see them losing, I can even see them giving the final a good shot aswell if they get there...

Rossfan

Nerves beginning to kick in now as the time is getting closer.
We have never ( I believe) lost a  Championship game v Leitrim in Carrick which instead of being a source of comfort becomes a record wating to be broken.
We have an almost new defence since last year but no one in the County is very confident if it( conceded 2-15 ish to Wicklow who could only score 0-5 v Kildare) , midfield is middlin' and rumours of Shaq not being available for a 20 minute cameo is not very comforting, forwards - at least we have a bit of help here this year for Donie if we can get anough possession and subsequent ball up to them.
Hoping we will shade it by a few points and will be happy to be still in the Connacht Championship as we go back over the bridge to God's own land   8) Sunday evening.

Lone Shark

Quote from: James91 on June 09, 2011, 11:27:45 PM
I think Roscommon will win by 3 or 4 points but paddypower odds are way too short!

They've gone a three point handicap, and you think they'll win by three? How is that too short?

The match odds is just the correct price when one team is perceived to be three points better than the other.