Leitrim v Roscommon 12-6-11

Started by Blowitupref, May 25, 2011, 12:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mano

How did we lose to that lot? Ross manager knows how to set up his team though-2 man full forward line and men behind the ball unlike our fella.
Ross are much better team than last year with Kilbride, Devaney, O'Grady. They will be hard stopped in final. With the  outstanding O'Donned as manager they have a good chance

ross matt

Quote from: Beard on June 12, 2011, 02:02:11 AM
Quote from: ross matt on June 11, 2011, 04:08:12 PM
Quote from: Beard on June 10, 2011, 11:37:06 PM
Plenty of nerves in the Roscommon camp for this one, with good reason given the disappointing performances that have dogged Roscommon in recent years however this is not a daunting fixture IMHO. I'm not saying we are world beaters but Leitrim are in rooted Division 4, have never won a game in the qualifiers and I happen to think they are actually a bit crap. 

When I looked at the draw for the Connacht championship I was sure we would be facing a fired up Sligo in this round and I was fairly dubious about us beating them 2 years in a row.

Leitrim is a different matter and I regard their win over Sligo, in which they accumulated a massive 1-10, as a bit of a lucky break for us.

I know we are all supposed to be politically correct these days but I hate watching Leitrim play. Their huffing and puffing, honest endeavor and inaccurate shooting is not the type of football I like to pay money to see.  They are a limited team, play poor quality football and drag teams down to their level especially in Carrick. Their lack of real quality is evidenced by the fact they don't win very many games. Some of the worst games I have ever seen have involved Leitrim. Leitrim only beat teams who:-
a.) forget to turn up;
b.) are also a bit crap; or
c.) are suffering from clinical depression.

While all of the above could also apply to Roscommon I'm hoping that we show what we are made of on Sunday and win playing well. If we meet Leitrim's honest endeavor head on we will have the quality to win it, possibly with a couple of points to spare. If Emelyn Mulligan scores 10 or 11 points and Leitrim win a good quality game playing well then I will be the first to congratulate them. However if either team scrapes through in a game that resembles the dire renewal of this fixture which took place in 2004 I will be displeased.

Come Beard... Come right out and say what you really think :D!
Brave post buddy.

I know...I'm going hard on the Rossies for this one....hope I don't have egg on my face tomorrow evening!!

As usual Beard you know your stuff. Well called.

ross matt

Quote from: Tubberman on June 12, 2011, 12:28:58 PM
What's the weather like in Carrick? I presume it's wet and overcast like Dublin. Hope it doesn't ruin what has the potential to be a very entertaining game in front of a big, loud, passionate crowd.

I'm in two minds over who I want to win. The natural tendency is to go for the underdog and Leitrim deserve another good day - they've had too many bad days in the last few years.

But if Mayo were to beat Galway (obviously a massive if), I think a Mayo v Ros Connacht Final in the Hyde could be an electric atmosphere!
No love lost between the supporters, the Rossies are very envious of Mayo and would love to get one over on them a la 2001.
Mayo would love to beat Roscommon because of the behaviour of a sizeable number of Ros fans on the terraces/in the stand.
Now, that pot is stirred enough, I'll leave it a while  :P

Yeah if ye beat Galway you better not go just in case. Those type of Roscommon supporters supposedly only turn up when Roscommon win. But shure then again thats not going to happen so you'll be safe enough.

Tubberman

Quote from: ross matt on June 12, 2011, 05:36:53 PM
What's the weather like in Carrick? I presume it's wet and overcast like Dublin. Hope it doesn't ruin what has the potential to be a very entertaining game in front of a big, loud, passionate crowd.

I'm in two minds over who I want to win. The natural tendency is to go for the underdog and Leitrim deserve another good day - they've had too many bad days in the last few years.

But if Mayo were to beat Galway (obviously a massive if), I think a Mayo v Ros Connacht Final in the Hyde could be an electric atmosphere!
No love lost between the supporters, the Rossies are very envious of Mayo and would love to get one over on them a la 2001.
Mayo would love to beat Roscommon because of the behaviour of a sizeable number of Ros fans on the terraces/in the stand.

Yeah if ye beat Galway you better not go just in case. Those type of Roscommon supporters supposedly only turn up when Roscommon win. But shure then again thats not going to happen so you'll be safe enough.

Ye're the reigning champions, will be at home, and are better than last year.
We were incredibly lucky to beat London, Galway were relegated in the league. Ros are favourites.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross matt

First of all congrats to Fergal and the lads on a professional, intelligent, mature and disciplined performance. The conditions were dire but there was still some beautiful scores from Shine and kilbride plus some great fielding from the ever improving Michael Finneran. They gave away little or no soft frees and harried from start to finish. Their retention of possession and link play was excellent and they worked well in terms of creating space and opportunities. You cant ask for much more than that.

Commiserations to Leitrim. Roscommon have had plenty of bad hammerings over the last decade so you have to temper sympathy with respect when mentioning the opposition today. They played to the final whistle and being against the wind in the first half put them on the back foot from the get go. That being said they could have taken a few more scroing chances before half time and it was surprising that they didnt drop a man back in front of the Ross big two. Then in the 2nd half they persisted far too long with  short passing game when they were chasing the match and playing with the wind. When they did hit a few long ones they got a few decent scores and would have got a goal but for some exceptional defending. They will find it hard to pick it up for the qualifiers but at the same time will know they're better than they were today but not as good as they looked against Sligo.

Roscommon had a persiod in the 2nd half when they relaxed if not show boated a little. Higgins and kilbride going for goals they either should have scored or at minimum ruthlessly taken the point. But they finished strongly after that. Claffey was very imposing in goals and kicked well against the goals. Seanie Mac and co covered well in the full back line. Keenan at centre back gave a way a few bad balls as did Finneran in the first half but he is still a powerful player. Donal Ward has pace but perhaps carried a little too much. Finneran and Mannion dominated. Shine apart from his excellent scoring showed well in front for the hard ball but some of his shot selection was poor. Kilbride has a casual style that looks lazy at times but on todays performance its hard to argue with it. Cregg motored well on a day that wasnt suitted to his ball carrying skills. O'Grady worked very hard also. Higgins got better and better as the match went on after  a poor start.

The plus is that with it being one of the "big two" in the final we will still go in as underdogs. Fergie will ensure a low media profile in the lead up just like last year and today. Also hopefully O'Gara will be back from injury and pushing for a place. He was our best player against Cork last year and would also help Shine and Kilbride with scores.

The down side is that we were'nt tested yet this year and when things go wrong for us they go very wrong (as in the league final). Our full back line are tenacious and comfortable on the ball but possibly suspect under a high ball that Mayo in particular could exploit. Galway in turn have the Joyce factor and maybe several of the pacy u-21 half forwards that will run at us so our defence will be on the back foot more and wont be able to be so involved in build ups. Neither Mayo or galway will allow us so much primary possession in midfield and lets face it both of those sides have bigger, tougher and better footballing defenders than Leitrim.... is Bradshaw... Forde... Andy Moran etc.

However we are a young side that has gained and built on experience so we're on the way up. We need to improve again for the final. But if they bring the same discipline and focus to the table again we are in with a decent chance and its  a long time since we've been able to say that versus Galway or Mayo in championship football.

ross matt

Quote from: Tubberman on June 12, 2011, 05:52:55 PM

We were incredibly lucky to beat London, Galway were relegated in the league. Ros are favourites.

Not at all. Are'nt ye and Galway the "real Connacht final".  Media will love it. Cue the usual love in here where ye doff the cap to Galway and they pretend to take ye seriously by omitting to mention they've won 5 AI titles since ye last won one. Then David Brady will be wheeled out to list the amount of time he beat Galway but managed to lose all Ireland finals.  Then there'll be talk of "ancient rivalry" and the saw doctors will pull in more royalties. Above all regardless of who wins neither side will be offended by the other sides supporters. In fact ye'll be nearly aplogise for winning to each other. So it'll be safe enough for the likes of you to attend. And look by the time all thats over ye'll have forgotten who ye'll be playin in the "B Final".

ross4life

Just back from a wet & blustery Carrick on Shannon conditions for a game of Football was terrible! solid,professional performance as fergal got his game plan spot on today. Obviously i'm surprised by the margin of victory but we where full value for the 12pts win.

I thought Kilbride was the class apart today he wouldn't look out of place in any forward line in Ireland,finneran/Mannion won the midfield battle hands down,Shine took his goal well & was dangerous throughout & Cregg,O'Grady,Devaney worked their socks off

As ross matt said "Commiserations to Leitrim" we know well very what days like today are like & Leitrim are better than today & hopefully their young team can recover from today's non show.

I'm still concerned about or back line & if leitrim were more clinical in the 1st half it could have been a closer game but I'm delighted with the win & the excellent performance! Looking forward to the home Connacht final where we will be underdogs again.

P.S On a awful day between div 4 teams with the game live on TV the offical attendance of 13500 was superb.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Blowitupref

I was expecting a free flowing exciting game today however i suppose the poor weather put a end to that? Roscommon won all the key battle's all over the field & in Senan Kilbride,Donal Shine the Rossies have two fine old fashioned forwards. Will be hard for Leitrim to lift themselves after this but i hope they can get a win or two in the Qualifiers

As for the Connacht Final whoever wins the Galway v Mayo game will be odds on favourites for the title however i hope Roscommon win it as the other two have won enough.

Quote from: ross4life on June 12, 2011, 06:55:14 PM

P.S On a awful day between div 4 teams with the game live on TV the offical attendance of 13500 was superb.

Unreal turn out well done to both set of supporters.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Mayo will probably win very poorly against Galway and then Ros will be deserving favourites
but what does connacht champions mean these days anawez ?

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2011, 07:45:15 PM
Mayo will probably win very poorly against Galway and then Ros will be deserving favourites
Roscommon won't be favourites no matter what, how many years since Roscommon beat either of those teams & didn't they both give the Rossies bad beatings in the previous meetings?

Been Connacht champions will mean alot more to Roscommon that's why i hope they win it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Quote from: ross matt on June 12, 2011, 06:55:03 PM

Not at all. Are'nt ye and Galway the "real Connacht final".  Media will love it. Cue the usual love in here where ye doff the cap to Galway and they pretend to take ye seriously by omitting to mention they've won 5 AI titles since ye last won one. Then David Brady will be wheeled out to list the amount of time he beat Galway but managed to lose all Ireland finals.  Then there'll be talk of "ancient rivalry" and the saw doctors will pull in more royalties. Above all regardless of who wins neither side will be offended by the other sides supporters. In fact ye'll be nearly aplogise for winning to each other. So it'll be safe enough for the likes of you to attend. And look by the time all thats over ye'll have forgotten who ye'll be playin in the "B Final".

Well that has really endeared Roscommon and it's supporters to me anyway  :D
The size of the chip on your shoulder would make you topple over only for the balance the one on your other shoulder provides.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2011, 07:45:15 PM

It should mean a lot. It s the only thing any of these teams have a realistic chance of winning anyway.

moysider

Quote from: ross matt on June 12, 2011, 06:55:03 PM

Brilliant!

Tatler Jack

QuoteThe size of the chip on your shoulder would make you topple over only for the balance the one on your other shoulder provides

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile!!! ::)

magpie seanie

Roscommon's attitude was correct and their tactics were perfect to expose the weaknesses of a MM team. Fair play to them. Puts our deserved defeat to Leitrim into context.