New Cultec hurl going cheap on ebay is it worth it?

Started by broken hurl, May 22, 2011, 10:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broken hurl

Theres one of them cultec carbon fibre hurling sticks going cheap on ebay,,,, anyone got any opinions on them. is it worth it ?? has anybody used them?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: broken hurl on May 22, 2011, 10:41:23 PM
Theres one of them cultec carbon fibre hurling sticks going cheap on ebay,,,, anyone got any opinions on them. is it worth it ?? has anybody used them?

They are grand, the only major worry is the taking the ball on the stick, more difficult to trap the ball if it comes at you with pace, but once you adopt to it then you will have that stick for at least a season maybe two.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

broken hurl

Yes ive heaerd that as well but is there any truth to teh stricking the ball further with one than the with  a traditional stick. somethign to do with a larger sweet spot.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: broken hurl on May 22, 2011, 11:41:07 PM
Yes ive heaerd that as well but is there any truth to teh stricking the ball further with one than the with  a traditional stick. somethign to do with a larger sweet spot.

No the base is slightly smaller than the regular sticks doing the rounds now, this is because Cultec are sticking to the Croke Park regulations of the size of base allowed. A lot of the wooden sticks are outside that regulation. so it's harder to to hit the sweet spot, but when you do it does go further.

They aren't for everybody but in these times of economic difficulty you will certainly get your money's worth
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 18, 2013, 09:10:09 AM
Anybody use a Cultec - what are your views?

Use them and they are grand once you get used to it, the ball can fly off your stick when you try to control/trap it, just a slight adjustment and you'll be able to do that, it stays the same weight in the rain, they are lighter and if the base was a bit bigger then it'd be grand. Did I notice a keeper using it for puck outs at the weekend?

I've used it this year in a few games and haven't really had any problems with it

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 18, 2013, 11:35:28 AM

Use them and they are grand once you get used to it, the ball can fly off your stick when you try to control/trap it, just a slight adjustment and you'll be able to do that, it stays the same weight in the rain, they are lighter and if the base was a bit bigger then it'd be grand. Did I notice a keeper using it for puck outs at the weekend?

I've used it this year in a few games and haven't really had any problems with it

A lot of boys I know use them, definitely notice them getting more distance than before.  Compared one to my hurl the other day and the base was actually bigger.  My only concern would be the first touch, but going to give it a try.  Apparently a lot of keepers are using them now for their puck-outs.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Lads I know who use them definitely reckon they get longer distance in the strike by using them. Haven't heard any whinging about the "touch" so they must be ok.

I will say this that when you get a belt of one of these type of hurleys you definitely feel it. Some years ago I got a "harmless" belt on the legs and it shook me to the core.

neilthemac

Quote from: Canalman on July 18, 2013, 12:10:33 PM
Lads I know who use them definitely reckon they get longer distance in the strike by using them. Haven't heard any whinging about the "touch" so they must be ok.

I will say this that when you get a belt of one of these type of hurleys you definitely feel it. Some years ago I got a "harmless" belt on the legs and it shook me to the core.

how long ago was that?
a lot more 'give' in the modern cultec

I'm considering going back to a timber hurley. If I could find one that I like (very hard at the moment with the shortage of ash)

johnneycool

If they were any bigger then it'd be a square mouth shovel...hate those big hurls the Cork lads were churning out a few years back.

They're grand for youngsters as they're light and have a bit of feel to them, whereas ash hurls for youngsters are pretty poor unless you're going to take a belt sander to them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on July 18, 2013, 01:26:38 PM

If they were any bigger then it'd be a square mouth shovel...hate those big hurls the Cork lads were churning out a few years back.

They're grand for youngsters as they're light and have a bit of feel to them, whereas ash hurls for youngsters are pretty poor unless you're going to take a belt sander to them.

Thats me then ;)

iorras

You cant use them up against the gable wall though if the sliothar is coming back onto tarmac or concrete.
Picking the ball up on a hard surface takes all the coating off the bas, it even says it with the paraphernalia that comes with it, dont use on hard surfaces.
Bit of a limitation I think

nrico2006

Been using one for a few weeks now and really impressed by it.  The base is bigger than most hurls and its light and you get a great strike from it.  First touch is grand with it too.