Six counties to lose 2 more players to the proper Ireland team

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

They're two seperate countries.

Ireland is currently going through a temporary separation (which will probably end up being for a pretty insignificant period in the grand scheme of things). It also already has many sports teams representing the whole island.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2011, 12:50:23 PM
This is not meant to be a dig by the way.  People talk about the island of Ireland automatically meaning that there can only be one country to represent everybody on that land mass.  By similar rationale, could it not be also argued that Spain and Portugal should automatically join together to represent the Iberian peninsula?
interesting point alright - however, were spain and portugal a single country years back ?
I dont think so - not the same way that Ireland was.

the opposite is tru for spain - are there not a couple of small regions that want to go back to having their own independant state?
eg catalonia , basque, galicia

from what you say,the whole of central europe should be one largecountry - funnily enough- thats how the EU commission are looking at it too !

Applesisapples

This is not meant to be a dig by the way.  People talk about the island of Ireland automatically meaning that there can only be one country to represent everybody on that land mass.  By similar rationale, could it not be also argued that Spain and Portugal should automatically join together to represent the Iberian peninsula?
There is no territorial dispute there. But there are examples of Brazillian players declaring for Portugal. But the main point is that NI is not a country it is part of the Island of Ireland and a region of the UK as things currently stand. Not only that but 40%+ of the population have no allegience to it.

michaelg

Quote from: haranguerer on May 26, 2011, 01:19:14 PM

Ireland is currently going through a temporary separation (which will probably end up being for a pretty insignificant period in the grand scheme of things). It also already has many sports teams representing the whole island.

90 years with no end in sight is not really a temporary situation.

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 26, 2011, 03:25:45 PM
There is no territorial dispute there. But there are examples of Brazillian players declaring for Portugal. But the main point is that NI is not a country it is part of the Island of Ireland and a region of the UK as things currently stand. Not only that but 40%+ of the population have no allegience to it.

As a part of the UK and sharing the same land mass as the ROI, surely then NI is a separate country?

haranguerer

Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2011, 04:28:12 PM

90 years with no end in sight is not really a temporary situation.

:D In terms of our lives, perhaps not. In terms of a countrys life, a mere grain in of sand in its hourglass...

red hander

Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2011, 07:43:18 AM
This is the hard bit. The two obvious ones being anthem and flag. Maybe a new crest depicting Unionist symbols, red hand, poppy along with a harp, crown, shamrock? The anthem recognising all people on the island, maybe a verse on the Somme, WWI and II. Matches played in Windsor as well as Aviva. FAI dissolved and new association to remain as IFA. 

At the risk of repeating myself, the actions of the FAI the other night are not those of a forward thinking organisation which is aiming to respect all traditions on the island.  Whilst your ideas are laudable, although that does not mean I am in favour, they are also completely pie in the sky.  In addition, NI fans now, and with some justification, have nothing but contempt for the FAI.

Perhaps you could enlighten us how the red hand, and the poppy for that matter, are unionist symbols. And why are you bringing the Somme, WWI and WWII into it ... are you telling me the UVF won both?  Sure we'll throw in a few bars of the theme from the Ipcress File and you can claim credit for winning the Cold War too  ???

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2011, 07:43:18 AM
This is the hard bit. The two obvious ones being anthem and flag. Maybe a new crest depicting expropriated Unionist symbols, red hand, poppy along with a harp, crown, shamrock? The anthem recognising all people on the island, maybe a verse on the Somme, WWI and II. Matches played in Windsor as well as Aviva. FAI dissolved and new association to remain as IFA. 

Fixed that for you!  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

haranguerer

i suppose they could always have the titanic and george best...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2011, 04:31:33 PM

As a part of the UK and sharing the same land mass as the ROI, surely then NI is a separate country?
Iexpect that you wish this were true , but the reality is that it never was, is not or never will be - a country.
Part of a country yes.
Think you are new here and this is going over old ground and there will never be agreement between the Irish people and those supporting the north of Ireland soccer team etc on this until it is no longer a question (ie reunification of Ireland and merging of the two soccer teams).
I'd say you have a good bit of enjoyment left in supporting the ni team. you lads seem to enjoy it , whatever about all the political clap trap and are /aren't inclusive etc.

Applesisapples

Exactly my point the UK is the country...or Ireland depending on your point of view.

michaelg

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 26, 2011, 05:10:08 PM

Iexpect that you wish this were true , but the reality is that it never was, is not or never will be - a country.
Part of a country yes.
Think you are new here and this is going over old ground and there will never be agreement between the Irish people and those supporting the north of Ireland soccer team etc on this until it is no longer a question (ie reunification of Ireland and merging of the two soccer teams).
I'd say you have a good bit of enjoyment left in supporting the ni team. you lads seem to enjoy it , whatever about all the political clap trap and are /aren't inclusive etc.

I didn't bring it up - you did.

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 26, 2011, 05:16:03 PM

Exactly my point the UK is the country...or Ireland depending on your point of view.

As far as I understand, the UK is made up of 4 constituent parts / seperate countries, one of which is Northern Ireland.

dillinger

I'm 52, i won't live to see it, and i would like to live to say, 90.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2011, 09:37:22 PM
As far as I understand, the UK is made up of 4 constituent parts/separate countries (or parts thereof), one of which is Northern Ireland.

Fixed that for you, yet again. Getting sick of this!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...