Plumbing help

Started by Hardy, May 15, 2011, 11:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I have a toilet that won't flush. I replaced a broken flush siphon and now the bowl fills up and then drains out too slowly to flush anything away. It's a fairly complicated problem that I think has to do with the flush mechanism - not a blockage or anything. If anyone thinks they can help, I'll describe it in detail. I asked a plumber about it and he hadn't a clue, at which point I realised I should have come to the gaaboard first.

Amusing responses welcome, as long as they're funny.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gallsman

Quote from: ONeill on May 15, 2011, 12:19:24 PM
Crap situation.

I was thinking along the lines of "dumping his problem on us" or something to that effect.

Minder

That would drive you round the u bend
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Stop taking the piss lads.

wherefromref

Your under pressure by the sound of it Hardy

ONeill

Well, that one didn't bowl me over.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on May 15, 2011, 11:58:21 AM
I have a toilet that won't flush. I replaced a broken flush siphon and now the bowl fills up and then drains out too slowly to flush anything away. It's a fairly complicated problem that I think has to do with the flush mechanism - not a blockage or anything. If anyone thinks they can help, I'll describe it in detail. I asked a plumber about it and he hadn't a clue, at which point I realised I should have come to the gaaboard first.

Amusing responses welcome, as long as they're funny.
My advice would be to speak to a better plumber. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Shit one. Crap and a bag and throw across the fence into the neighbours garden.

mournerambler

Sounds like you have whats called a syphonic toilet which is a fairly old flushing process & unless you replace the syphon with a proper syphonic type syphon to suit you toilet it won't flush properly, if you have the old syphon try & find a brand name on it, fitting an ordinary syphon to a syphonic toilet is a waste of time.

Hardy

Quote from: mournerambler on May 15, 2011, 03:14:25 PM
Sounds like you have whats called a syphonic toilet which is a fairly old flushing process & unless you replace the syphon with a proper syphonic type syphon to suit you toilet it won't flush properly, if you have the old syphon try & find a brand name on it, fitting an ordinary syphon to a syphonic toilet is a waste of time.

That sounds spot on, mournerambler, based on the symptoms.

bridge fan

is it a close coupled toilet as in the cistern sitting on top off the bowl or is there a pipe between it if ther is the may be debri stuck in it

Hardy

Quote from: bridge fan on May 15, 2011, 07:27:03 PM
is it a close coupled toilet as in the cistern sitting on top off the bowl or is there a pipe between it if ther is the may be debri stuck in it

Thanks bf. It's close-coupled. I'm pretty sure it's not a blockage. I think mournerambler is on the money - I expected it was something like this, from descriptions on Wiki of siphoning toilets. I just thought they were American and that it was unlikely we'd have them here, but it seems we do from what mournerambler says. Now if I can just find out where to buy the right siphon.

anglocelt39

There I was thinking you only typed excessive shite
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Hardy

You must have missed my appeal for amusing responses.