Best SPL striker of all time

Started by king of leon, May 12, 2011, 07:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king of leon

Was having a debate with a lad at work today (Rangers fan) and he reckons Ally McCoist was the best striker ever to have played in the Scottish Premier league, of course I(Celtic fan) disagreed as I reckoned Henrik Larsson was the best... anyone any views?

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

orangeman

bennydorano

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 12, 2011, 08:06:06 PM
Kris Boyd?
:D
Never scored v Celtic.

Was a big fan of Cadete, but Larsson & McCoist would be best of the modern era.

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on May 12, 2011, 08:13:25 PM
Kris Boyd?
Never scored v Celtic.

You may laugh Benny but he broke the scoring record at an impressively young age, with a lot of those goals coming from his time at Aberdeen.

Larsson, McCoist, Di Canio were all quality.

gawa316

Best half a season striker has to be Negri

gallsman

Quote from: gawa316 on May 12, 2011, 09:35:34 PM
Best half a season striker has to be Negri

Mark de Vries had a pretty storming start to his Hearts career too!

Minder

Honkeytonk must be up there, for a short period of time anyway.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lynchbhoy

Dalglish by far the best in terms of all round scoring and assists as well as everything else

Larsson wasnt as good as finishing , Hartson was a better finisher. Sutton better all round but not as good at finishing or assists s the prev two.

mccoist made look good with a superb squad around him - when playing for scotland was exposed for the level he really was at.

imo the best rangers had though not an out an out striker was Laudrup. Superb. Then as mentioned for half a season until he fell foul of the club regieme after getting inj was marco negri.

boyd, bellamy, keane,Cadete, di canio, van hooijdonk, de vries, velukis,  all good in their own way but nothing near as good as MON's men who were nothing nearly as good as Kenny !

rangers seem to always get a lot of goals from midfield (why their list of strikers is short) which imo is what celtic lack and why they have struggled since MON left. Commons has addressed this a bit, but too late in the season when the damage was done before/around christmas

saffron sam2

Dalglish long gone before SPL was created. Trick question I suppose.

McCoist a good finisher, but not in Henrik's league. Clear evidence for this is how the two boys wound down their careers - one winning a Champions' League medal at Barca and playing a wee bit for Man U; the other warming the bench at Rugby Park and the Question of Sport studio.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

bennydorano

Quote from: gallsman on May 12, 2011, 09:33:10 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 12, 2011, 08:13:25 PM
Kris Boyd?
Never scored v Celtic.

You may laugh Benny but he broke the scoring record at an impressively young age, with a lot of those goals coming from his time at Aberdeen.

Larsson, McCoist, Di Canio were all quality.
Yer hole, if you cant score against quality you're not quality. Kilmarnock btw.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 12, 2011, 10:00:18 PM
Dalglish long gone before SPL was created. Trick question I suppose.

McCoist a good finisher, but not in Henrik's league. Clear evidence for this is how the two boys wound down their careers - one winning a Champions' League medal at Barca and playing a wee bit for Man U; the other warming the bench at Rugby Park and the Question of Sport studio.
wouldnt disagree with that.

the 'of all time' got me...not sure if it was scots premier of all time or just the spl years.

supersarsfields

Did Viduka not have a pretty impressive strike rate to appearances for Celtic?

Incertus

Larsson by a country mile. there should be no arguing on this just debate about how much better he was than the rest.

ONeill

Franny Jeffers of Rangers is up there somewhere too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.