Walter Smith, emotional last game at Ibrox

Started by Minder, May 11, 2011, 09:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I think everyone will agree Walter has earned his retirement, looks like guiding Glasgow Rangers FC to a third successive SPL title, a tremendous achievement when you think of the quality, or lack of, of this current Glasgow Rangers team.

Well done Walter.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

A real legend. Hopefully they can win the SPL it be a great way for him to finish his career. Best of luck to McCoist for next season also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Quote from: Minder on May 11, 2011, 09:25:39 AM
I think everyone will agree Walter has earned his retirement, looks like guiding Glasgow Rangers FC to a third successive SPL title, a tremendous achievement when you think of the quality, or lack of, of this current Glasgow Rangers team.

Well done Walter.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/22/neil-lennon-bomb-threat-celtic

Walter Smith, the Rangers manager, became the latest figure to express his outrage over the explosives affair on Friday.

"I think we are coming to a zenith on this," Lennon said. "I think there will be condemnation from all aspects in Scotland – at least I'd like to think so. Hopefully, all this rubbish can stop. It has nothing to do with football and we are all fed up with it. We're all fed up with the singing, fed up with the abuse and we just want to do our jobs. I'd like to think that we've reached a tipping point."

Smith endorsed sentiment he stated earlier in the season, that the Old Firm environment is too troublesome to enjoy. The soon-to-depart Rangers manager and his wife have been briefed by police over their own safety in recent days. Smith went so far as to say the unpleasant backdrop would have led to him questioning his position in the summer anyway, were he not already committed to leaving Rangers.

"After the happenings of the last week, I'll be delighted it's my last one," said Smith of Sunday's Old Firm game. "In the 20 years I've been involved [at Rangers] and being from the west of Scotland, I've never known a week quite like this. It's sad."

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on May 11, 2011, 09:47:17 AM
Smith endorsed sentiment he stated earlier in the season, that the Old Firm environment is too troublesome to enjoy.

I had a manager when I worked in Liverpool who was (presumably still is) a die-hard Rangers fan, and his attitude to the Old Firm derbies was unequivocal - "pure evil" and "you can't go outside your house for four weekends a year"

lynchbhoy

Best of luck to walter smith.
While imo he is not a great manager, he is head and shoulders above what Celtic have and have had since MON left.
With a rubbish rangers side (albeit abbetted by some scandalous reffing performances over the season that helped rangers considerably) he has taken them to the brink of a title again and I dont expect him to allow them to lose it.
This shows how much better he is than Lennon. However in Lennons case he is a rookie and may learn a lot - like Smith did from the punishment handed out to him by the masterful MON.

Read one of alex fergusons biogs and Smith has always been on the fringes of management and it is good to see clubs give men like this their go. He has given rangers a hell of a lot.
Smith is no saint and indulges in the skulduggery of 'leaning ' on the refs via his press comments - but they all do that these days - spl are not nearly as bad as the epl managers !

I am delighted to see the back of Smith, as I severely doubt mccoist will be half as good, though maybe he will get a few quid to spend from the new owner. Best of luck Walter Smith, I hope you get the Scotland gig next, you deserve it.

clarshack

Quote from: Minder on May 11, 2011, 09:25:39 AM

Well done Walter.

it's hardly a tremendous achievement considering they spent £4 million on a striker this season - it's a bit of a myth that this is a threadbare rangers team.

deiseach

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 11, 2011, 10:22:55 AM
With a rubbish rangers side (albeit abbetted by some scandalous reffing performances over the season that helped rangers considerably) he has taken them to the brink of a title again and I dont expect him to allow them to lose it.

There is something rotten in Scottish soccer with regard to Rangers. In the absence of any other explanation (and I've never seen one), the reason for the Jim Farry / Jorge Cadete affair is pure bias towards Rangers

lynchbhoy

Quote from: deiseach on May 11, 2011, 10:33:55 AM

There is something rotten in Scottish soccer with regard to Rangers. In the absence of any other explanation (and I've never seen one), the reason for the Jim Farry / Jorge Cadete affair is pure bias towards Rangers
maybe so, but while Smith might not be whiter than white, he is def one of the decent rangers element.

scotland is rotten with sectarianism and imo is passing by the failed six as a rank state - as witnessed by the recent bomb/guns events - and these are the few things that have gotten into the media- the last 20 years I have heard some disgraceful stuff from friends over there. I wouldnt go to a Celtic v rangers game again either. its no craic imo.

Rav67

While imo he is not a great manager, he is head and shoulders above what Celtic have and have had since MON left.
This shows how much better he is than Lennon. However in Lennons case he is a rookie and may learn a lot - like Smith did from the punishment handed out to him by the masterful MON.Read one of alex fergusons biogs and Smith has always been on the fringes of management and it is good to see clubs give men like this their go. He has given rangers a hell of a lot.
Smith is no saint and indulges in the skulduggery of 'leaning ' on the refs via his press comments - but they all do that these days - spl are not nearly as bad as the epl managers !

I am delighted to see the back of Smith, as I severely doubt mccoist will be half as good, though maybe he will get a few quid to spend from the new owner. Best of luck Walter Smith, I hope you get the Scotland gig next, you deserve it.

The Rangers managers during MON's tenure were Advocaat and McLeish.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Rav67 on May 11, 2011, 11:48:35 AM
This shows how much better he is than Lennon. However in Lennons case he is a rookie and may learn a lot - like Smith did from the punishment handed out to him by the masterful MON.Read one of alex fergusons biogs and Smith has always been on the fringes of management and it is good to see clubs give men like this their go. He has given rangers a hell of a lot.

yes, but wasnt smith still second in command under both

Olaf

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 11, 2011, 02:42:43 PM
Quote from: Rav67 on May 11, 2011, 11:48:35 AM

yes, but wasnt smith still second in command under both
No he wasn't.

He was away from Rangers from 1998 to 2007. (Everton ,Scotland etc). Had a stint I believe as Fergie's assistant.

A good manager.

deiseach

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Olaf on May 11, 2011, 02:56:09 PM
No he wasn't.
He was away from Rangers from 1998 to 2007. (Everton ,Scotland etc). Had a stint I believe as Fergie's assistant.
A good manager.
fair enough, would have thought he was there at least for mcleish's last couple of years in the back room. maybe not.

GalwayBayBoy

The Rangers fans gave him a great send off with their farewell banner last night.

bennydorano

Walter's a decent sort

Lynchbhoy, i dont buy what your selling regarding MON, had the most money to spend of any Celtic manager, responsible for as many titles & cups lost as he won. Very overrated imo.