Osama Dead

Started by Denn Forever, May 02, 2011, 05:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Don't know why I turned on the radio and heard ths.  Lets hope it is true and al-Qaeda  just bedome a footnote in history.

Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden dead - Obama
Bin Laden is top of the US "most wanted" list Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Obituary: Osama Bin Laden
Al-Qaeda founder and leader Osama Bin Laden has been killed by US forces, President Barack Obama has said.

The al-Qaeda leader was killed in a ground operation based on US intelligence, the first lead for which emerged last August.

Mr Obama said after "a firefight" US forces took possession of his body.

Bin Laden was accused of being behind a number of atrocities, including the attacks on New York and Washington on 11 September 2001.

He was top of the US "most wanted" list.

Crowds gathered outside the White House in Washington DC, chanting "USA, USA" after the news emerged.

Bin Laden approved the 9/11 attacks in which nearly 3,000 people died, saying later that the results had exceeded his expectations.

He evaded the forces of the US and its allies for almost a decade, despite a $25m bounty on his head.

His death will be seen as a major blow to al-Qaeda but also raise fears of reprisal attacks, correspondents say.

Mr Obama said he had been briefed last August on a possible lead to Osama Bin Laden's whereabouts.

It led to intelligence that the al-Qaeda leader was hiding in a compound deep within Pakistan.

The president authorised an operation to "get Bin Laden" last week, he said, and on Sunday a small team of US forces undertook the operation.

After a "firefight" Bin Laden was killed and his body taken by US forces, the president said.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

el_cuervo_fc

This might just escalate the whole situation. It's a big blow to the regime though.  It would be great if this was the beginning of the end but I doubt it

gerry

So much for hiding in a cave
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

mc_grens

Massive celebrations all over the states... I wonder if most realise the fight will just go on and on...

This is at Penn State University:

http://plixi.com/p/97965622

BennyHarp

Thank God for that. So no more extremist terrorism - Brilliant!! I suppose they'll bring all his videos out in a box set now?
That was never a square ball!!

Dinny Breen

Bin Laden dead! I won't believe it till we see the long form death certificate.
#newbridgeornowhere

mylestheslasher

While no one will shed tears that this man is dead, anyone in the states who think this will mean anything to their "war on terror" is fooling themselves. Al Qaeda is a name of convenience for multiple groups all over the world. There is no real central command and Bin Laden was more of a central inspiration to these people rather than some sort of tactical genius setting up networks of fighters world wide. I predict numerous atrocities will now carried out in multiple countries in revenge and it will continue on and on.

Orangemac

While this is good news it is naive of Americans or anyone who believe that this changes anything apart from acheving retribution.

He will become a martyr and in all probability has probably not been directing operations for a long time.

It would be in America's interest to pretend that they were trying to take him alive and he was killed in a gunfight rather than that they went in to kill him.

Sandino

The end of the beginning? it reminds me of the backlash which was unleashed after the death of Billy Wright. Dangerous times lie ahead!
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

laoislad

Fair play to them for waiting till after the wedding,Sky News would have exploded if it happened Friday.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

orangeman

Very opportune.

This will deflect from Gadaffi''s son.

They probably had him in a freezer all along.

orangeman

What ?

Bin Laden's body was buried at sea having been handled according to Islamic practice and tradition, US officials said.

Tubberman

I'd be pretty nervous over the next few weeks if I was around US (and to a lesser extent, UK) major population centres.
But they could strike at any stage and if you live in one of those places,you can't live your life hiding away I suppose...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 02, 2011, 08:13:58 AM
Bin Laden dead! I won't believe it till we see the long form death certificate.

Apparently that's what Donald Trump has called for!  :D

Tubberman

Quote from: orangeman on May 02, 2011, 09:34:38 AM
What ?

Bin Laden's body was buried at sea having been handled according to Islamic practice and tradition, US officials said.

Apparently Saudi Arabia refused to accept his body off the US.
And the thinking of burying at sea is that his grave won't become a shrine.
But of course, it leaves them wide open for conspiracy theories that he was never caught or killed.