Is the end of the Union in sight? (It may well be but then again…)

Started by Lar Naparka, April 30, 2011, 03:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 06:27:42 PM
The Gaelic and Minor peoples Isles

I know you're keen on old maps, early history and the like, MGHU.

Maybe you can explain some of this to me, for although it's only Wiki, I cannot understand all these references to "the Prettanic Isles" and the like.  ;)

"The earliest known references to the islands as a group appeared in the writings of sea-farers from the ancient Greek colony of Massalia. The original records have been lost; however, later writings that quoted from the Massaliote Periplus (6th century BC) and Pytheas's On the Ocean (circa 325–320 BC) have survived. In the 1st century BC, Diodorus used the Latin form, Πρεττανια (Prettania) from Πρεττανικη (Prettanike), Strabo used Βρεττανία (Brettania), and Marcian of Heraclea, in his Periplus maris exteri, used αἱ Πρεττανικαὶ νῆσοι (the Prettanic Isles) to refer to the islands. Historians today, though not in absolute agreement, largely agree that these Greek and Latin names were probably drawn from native Celtic-language names for the archipelago. Along these lines, the inhabits of the islands of Pretanike were called the Πρεττανοι (Priteni or Pretani). The shift from the "P" of Pretannia to the "B" of Britannia by the Romans occurred during the time of Julius Caesar.

The classical writer, Ptolemy, referred to the larger island as Great Britain (Megale Britannia) and to Ireland as Little Britain (Mikra Brettania) in his work, Almagest (147–148 AD). In his later work, Geography (c. 150 AD), he gave these islands the names Albion, Iwernia, and Mona (the Isle of Man), suggesting these may have been native names of the individual islands not known to him at the time of writing Almagest."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 06:29:05 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on May 14, 2011, 06:26:18 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 06:16:07 PMIts Ireland and Britain or f**k OFF.
So shall we agree, then, we all live in the "Isles of Fcuk Off!"

Q. "Where do you come from?"
A. "Fcuk Off!"

I like it!  ;)

P.S. If you're still there, Armaghniac, I'm being light-hearted again...

I agree, everybody has been telling each other to f**k off for as long as the Irish Isles have been inhabited, as Ireland was an Island long before Britain it makes sense that Ireland should be the more senior of the two mainland islands.
So you reckon it's the "Irish Isles" we're all living in, MGHU?

Good Luck with that one - it might catch on before you become "German-administered Irische Kolonie" (or somesuch).

For to paraphrase your fellow-Connaught man, Lord Haw Haw:
"When the Reich's Panzers IMF's Accountants roll through the Irish Free State Republic, De Valera  Inda will have no more power to resist them than the tinkers of the Ballygaddy Road in Tuam."

:D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Dougal Maguire

Why do you post on this site? Have you any interest in the GAA or do you simply see yourself as the GAA Discussion Board's answer to Jim Allister?
Careful now

Evil Genius

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2011, 07:10:49 PMWhy do you post on this site?
The same reason as everyone else, I expect - an agreeable way to waste pass the time.

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2011, 07:10:49 PMHave you any interest in the GAA...
Yes, a little.

Which is probably more interest than the GAA has in me, seeing as I'm one of "themmuns"...

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2011, 07:10:49 PM... or do you simply see yourself as the GAA Discussion Board's answer to Jim Allister?
No.

If I did, I'd have chosen the User Name "Pointless Twatt" or somesuch.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Dougal Maguire

Fair enough. Mind you, you do spend most of your time waging a one man war against most of the posters here ala Jim in Stormont on Thursday. However if your primary reason for visiting the site is your interest in Gaelic sports then as far as I'm concerned you're not one of themmuns but rather you're one of us.
Yours in sport
DM
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

BTW, that signature of yours, is that a quote from somewhere?
Careful now

bloodybreakball

dougal, its a quote from the first season of the soprano's

bennydorano

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 14, 2011, 06:52:25 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 06:27:42 PM
The Gaelic and Minor peoples Isles

I know you're keen on old maps, early history and the like, MGHU.

Maybe you can explain some of this to me, for although it's only Wiki, I cannot understand all these references to "the Prettanic Isles" and the like.  ;)

"The earliest known references to the islands as a group appeared in the writings of sea-farers from the ancient Greek colony of Massalia. The original records have been lost; however, later writings that quoted from the Massaliote Periplus (6th century BC) and Pytheas's On the Ocean (circa 325–320 BC) have survived. In the 1st century BC, Diodorus used the Latin form, Πρεττανια (Prettania) from Πρεττανικη (Prettanike), Strabo used Βρεττανία (Brettania), and Marcian of Heraclea, in his Periplus maris exteri, used αἱ Πρεττανικαὶ νῆσοι (the Prettanic Isles) to refer to the islands. Historians today, though not in absolute agreement, largely agree that these Greek and Latin names were probably drawn from native Celtic-language names for the archipelago. Along these lines, the inhabits of the islands of Pretanike were called the Πρεττανοι (Priteni or Pretani). The shift from the "P" of Pretannia to the "B" of Britannia by the Romans occurred during the time of Julius Caesar.

The classical writer, Ptolemy, referred to the larger island as Great Britain (Megale Britannia) and to Ireland as Little Britain (Mikra Brettania) in his work, Almagest (147–148 AD). In his later work, Geography (c. 150 AD), he gave these islands the names Albion, Iwernia, and Mona (the Isle of Man), suggesting these may have been native names of the individual islands not known to him at the time of writing Almagest."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles
I'm sure i've read elsewhere that GB was a French assignation to distinguish it from Brittany/Bretagne?

bloodybreakball

EG you have been immature there, ahh well if you dont agree with me im just going to say that your part of the british isles. ironically it is that same british bluster that will sustain nationalist ambition in the north of ireland for future generations, it actually imbues a greater sense of patriotism than the gaa

LeoMc

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 10, 2011, 08:05:58 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 10, 2011, 06:42:52 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 10, 2011, 02:20:11 PM
Lar - it is in the interests of unionism/loyalism to start negotiations - as the longer they leave it - the less bargaining power they have.
I for one am quite happy they are keeping their heads stuck in the sand.
This way we will keep our Irish Flag and anthem on reunification ! :)
Is a flag and an anthem really that significant to you / other republicans, in the grand scheme of unification?
no, but theres no better alternative. Right now I dont want reunification as economically we cannot sustain the burden of all these civil servants - when we thought we had a large percentage ourselves !
if unionists/loyalists want to proactively and progressively get in on the deal, they need to engage sooner (ie now) rather than continue dragging their heels and eventually like a petulant child expect to be given a greater share than their then lesser population would entitle them to.
ya cant have it every way. they might have been used to things happening like this in the 'good old days' - but the world doesnt work like that and the future reunified Ireland certainly wont 'march' to their minority tune.
If they engage they will be treated equally. otherwise what can they expect.

if all evil myles can do is snipe back with childish retorts and lengthy diatribes of verbosity with no substance as per usual, then it kind of shows that he/she has nothing , no argument other than the good old 'never never never' - and people like Lar naParka will soon see him and his kind for the stick in the mud old stagers like the good old afrikaaners were too !
I know a lot of unionist/loyalists unlike evil mylesy are starting to come out of this old hat mindset and the country and economy will be all the better for it when the reunification comes.

So you want EG to make a valid proposal for unification?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 14, 2011, 07:07:58 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 06:29:05 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on May 14, 2011, 06:26:18 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 14, 2011, 06:16:07 PMIts Ireland and Britain or f**k OFF.
So shall we agree, then, we all live in the "Isles of Fcuk Off!"

Q. "Where do you come from?"
A. "Fcuk Off!"

I like it!  ;)

P.S. If you're still there, Armaghniac, I'm being light-hearted again...

I agree, everybody has been telling each other to f**k off for as long as the Irish Isles have been inhabited, as Ireland was an Island long before Britain it makes sense that Ireland should be the more senior of the two mainland islands.
So you reckon it's the "Irish Isles" we're all living in, MGHU?

Good Luck with that one - it might catch on before you become "German-administered Irische Kolonie" (or somesuch).

For to paraphrase your fellow-Connaught man, Lord Haw Haw:
"When the Reich's Panzers IMF's Accountants roll through the Irish Free State Republic, De Valera  Inda will have no more power to resist them than the tinkers of the Ballygaddy Road in Tuam."

:D

Bit pissed at the mo, so I will get back to you. I have to say yourself and Lawnseed are my two favourate posters, followed closely by a few of the Rossie and Mayo lads. Interesting conversation tbf.

O ya the Pretanic Isles never referred to Ireland as far as I understand. Even if they did they would be preferable to British Isles. Why would a Greek get to name an Archipelogo of Gaels, Picts and Britons anyways.

I do have a preference for Pre-Germanic history  ;) Even in Germany the Germanics are blow-ins.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

armaghniac

QuoteP.S. If you're still there, Armaghniac,

I haven't gone away, you know.

QuoteI'm being light-hearted again.

More likely, light-headed.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

MGHU, I find your bluster any time anyone uses the term "Free State" be completely and utterly hypocritical You attempt to lecture people about technicalities over naming and constantly insist that as the 26 county state that occupies the majority of the island is named Éire in its constitution, the correct term in English is Ireland. You frequently refer to this constitution as some sort of vindication, conveniently ignoring the fact that when that constitution was written, the State unreservedly laid claim to the territory of the whole island of Ireland. That constitution, as you know, has been amended in this respect following the GFA.

So while your constitutional backing of the name "Ireland" for the 26 county state, this is as inaccurate as "Free State".

gallsman

Quote from: gallsman on May 15, 2011, 02:43:03 AM
MGHU, I find your bluster any time anyone uses the term "Free State" be completely and utterly hypocritical You attempt to lecture people about technicalities over naming and constantly insist that as the 26 county state that occupies the majority of the island is named Éire in its constitution, the correct term in English is Ireland. You frequently refer to this constitution as some sort of vindication, conveniently ignoring the fact that when that constitution was written, the State unreservedly laid claim to the territory of the whole island of Ireland. That constitution, as you know, has been amended in this respect following the GFA.

So while your backing of the name "Ireland" for the 26 county state is backed by the constitution, this is as inaccurate as "Free State".

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: gallsman on May 15, 2011, 02:43:03 AM

So while your constitutional backing of the name "Ireland" for the 26 county state, this is as inaccurate as "Free State".

There was no name change to the country (state) in any ammendment of Bunreacht na hÉireann. The Irish Free State is a redundant term. Is it only people from the 6 counties that are allowed to get offended.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.