Berlin - Transport

Started by Declan, April 21, 2011, 12:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Folks

Heading to Germany next week for a wedding and flying into Berlin SXF. Is the easiest way to get to central berlin on the express train or are the bus/local trains easier/cheaper?

armaghniac

As far as I know the tickets work on all transport and are on zones, SXF is zone c, so it is a 3 zone ticket. I'd just buy a ticket for 3 days/7 days or whatever period you are there and that will sort you for the entire trip. The express is a bit quicker, but the airport is close enough to the city. I'd look at where I am going and if the S-Bahn connects better I'd just take that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

In Berlin a few years ago as a student. Just got a relatively cheap train or S-Bahn in. Was about 25 mins half an hour I think. Public transport in and around Berlin is outstanding, even for German standards. You'll have no problems whatever you decide.

muppet

Great great city. I was there for work years ago and it is great socially and dining wise. Back recently with the misses and toddler and loads to do for that sort of trip as well. Great city.

Some train details off the Germanwings site:
http://www.berlin-airport.de/EN/ReisendeUndBesucher/AnUndAbreise/AnfahrtBusUndBahn/SXF/AirportExpressStationsplan.html
MWWSI 2017

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Declan on April 21, 2011, 12:34:29 PM
Folks

Heading to Germany next week for a wedding and flying into Berlin SXF. Is the easiest way to get to central berlin on the express train or are the bus/local trains easier/cheaper?

Got a train when I was there. Can't remember if it were an Express or not. Only took 20 mins or so.

thejuice

Yeah train was quick and handy. Berlin is a great city, love it there.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Declan

Blowitupref

Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2011, 12:52:08 PM
In Berlin a few years ago as a student. Just got a relatively cheap train or S-Bahn in. Was about 25 mins half an hour I think. Public transport in and around Berlin is outstanding, even for German standards. You'll have no problems whatever you decide.

What do you mean? German's are renowned for their efficiency & of course Berlin is one of the best cities in Europe.

So much to do & see enjoy Declan.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hardy

gallsman

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 21, 2011, 02:15:23 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 21, 2011, 12:52:08 PM

What do you mean? German's are renowned for their efficiency & of course Berlin is one of the best cities in Europe.

So much to do & see enjoy Declan.

I mean exactly what it says. Correct, German transport is famously punctual and efficient. I never said or even implied that it wasn't. I live in Germany and use the public transport system every day and it's a world away from what we put up with in Dublin.

As good as the rest of Germany that I've experienced is, Berlin is practically flawless.