Bradley's cruciate fears ahead of knee scan

Started by Fuzzman, April 19, 2011, 10:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Just saw this in the Irish Indo. Surprised it isn't mentioned here already

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/bradleys-cruciate-fears-ahead-of-knee-scan-2622121.html

Paddy Bradley has sustained a suspected torn cruciate ligament, which could rule him out of the forthcoming football championship.

Derry's ace forward will have a scan later today to determine the damage caused to his right knee during a club match in Derry on Saturday night.

The 29-year-old was playing for Glenullin against Bellaghy when his knee twisted awkwardly. He is the latest in a long line of high-profile footballers who have suffered cruciate damage in recent months, following on from Cork's Colm O'Neill, Kerry's David Moran and Kildare's Dermot Earley -- who looks to have suffered a significant setback in his recovery from an operation last autumn.

Bradley was in hospital last Monday with cracked ribs but played through the pain barrier on Saturday night.

He had been putting in a huge effort for Derry this season after a controversial end to 2010, when he left the panel after being dropped by Damian Cassidy for the qualifier game against Carlow. Bradley would have been playing his 12th championship season with Derry this summer, but the injury could bring his career to a premature end if it is confirmed to be a torn cruciate ligament.

Joe McMahon could be ruled out for Tyrone's Ulster championship opener after he suffered a broken jaw in a club game yesterday. McMahon underwent surgery in Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry last night on a double fracture.

The injury occurred in the opening league game of the season, in which his club Omagh was away to Moortown. McMahon had only recently returned to action after a lengthy recovery period from a hamstring problem.

Irish Independent

whiskeysteve

Was discussed here: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=19015.15 and also on Derry thread but your right in that it hasn't been overly discussed.

I think Derry gaels are holding out hope that it isn't as serious as feared, however that seems slim at this stage. Really looks like it could be a brutal blow for Derry but more importantly for the man himself. Hes been in fantastic form this year and looked really hungry, even just in the way he was winning all the 50-50 balls put in to him etc.

Could be a real sickener and I hope the scan shows minor damage.

On a wider note, cruciate injuries do seem on the rise, we also lost James Conway to a very serious cruciate injury this year, from what I hear it could be serious enough to end his football at a certain level altogether. The thread started on cruciate injuries is fill of cases throughout many counties.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

glensman-derry

I am nearly sure Paddy got the scan already and was to hear the full extent of the damage yesterday eening.  I havent heard any more since but I did hear that the club have offered to send him to Australia for some new treatment if it is cruciate ligament damage.  I dont know much about this treatment but the talk is you can get back in three months.
Serious blow surely.  He was flying again for both club and county.  After the flak he took last year and after so many questioned if he was finished, i think he had been proving he was far from it.  Our hopes of another club championship apperar gone and cant really see Derry doing alot without him

Fuzzman

Tough going on Paddy alright who has seemed to have got a new lease of life of late and seems in a happier place. I think he's a much better player than Eoin, myself and will be sorely missed.
As a Tyrone man I have to say he's definitely one of those players who if given good ball is virtually unmarkable by one man, as shown by Tyrone a few years ago putting Justy on him with Conor Gormley playing just in front of him.
Had he played with Tyrone, Armagh or Kerry of the last 10 years he would have had a number of all stars to his name.

What age is he now?

glensman-derry

29 I think.
due to make his 50th championship appearance against fermanagh
remember talking to him last year about what happened and he was certain that damian cassidy dropped him knowing it was his 50th game and it was damian's way of getting at him

mylestheslasher

It would be a great shame in Bradley was out. Always enjoyed watching him as he is a superb player.

glensman-derry

Just got a text to say that Paddy heard this morning that he has tore his cruciate completely and faces a year out

Serious blow to our chances of another county title and serious blow to Derry

isourboydownyet

Quote from: glensman-derry on April 19, 2011, 03:01:11 PM
Just got a text to say that Paddy heard this morning that he has tore his cruciate completely and faces a year out

Serious blow to our chances of another county title and serious blow to Derry

sorry to hear that,after getting in great shape he didnt deserve that

Fuzzman

I was just checking and see he's 21 points behind Oisin in Ulster's all time top scorers
Considering he hasn't probably played half the games Oisin has he must have a huge scoring ratio per game.

He gets quite a lot of goals I see as well unlike our so called Tyrone stars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_GAA

As a Tyrone man I have to say we'll be glad not to have to face him this year but on a personal level it must be heartbreaking for the lad who has already had his fair share of hardship.

glensman-derry

Fuzzman -he actually overtook Oisin Mc Conville a few years ago, possibly in the summer of 2009. 
I think his scoring average for Derry was around 5-6 points a game for championship which was excellent considering the amount of times he was double marked.
Many questioned whether or not Paddy could do it in Croke Park on big games but unfortunately for him Derry never got there too often.  I think 2007 was the last time Derry played Championship in Croker???
Excellent scoring rate for club also.
Wouldnt put him down as a prolific goalscorer - Eoin has more of an eye for a goal and scores spectacular ones every year

mountainboii

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 19, 2011, 03:36:11 PM
I was just checking and see he's 21 points behind Oisin in Ulster's all time top scorers
Considering he hasn't probably played half the games Oisin has he must have a huge scoring ratio per game.

As a Tyrone man I have to say we'll be glad not to have to face him this year but on a personal level it must be heartbreaking for the lad who has already had his fair share of hardship.

If you'd checked a bit more closely you'd have seen that list is three years old. The article that the list is taken from mentions Bradley averaging about 5 points a game. McConville about 4.5 a game. It's worth baring in mind that, given Armagh's preference for the front door for much of McConville's career, Bradley would've enjoyed many more opportunities to augment that average down in the likes of Waterford, Longford, etc.

Rav67

I would guess that Paddy is 30 or 31 as he was definitely starting for Derry in the 2000 Championship season.  This will be a big blow as he's been excellent this season.  He's a brilliant footballer, the best scoring forward in Ulster over the last decade and probably of all time in Derry terms so I hope he's able to come back from this.

cornerback

Quote from: Rav67 on April 19, 2011, 04:21:31 PM
I would guess that Paddy is 30 or 31 as he was definitely starting for Derry in the 2000 Championship season.  This will be a big blow as he's been excellent this season.  He's a brilliant footballer, the best scoring forward in Ulster over the last decade and probably of all time in Derry terms so I hope he's able to come back from this.

He's 29, 30 at the end of May.

Gutted for him. 

Orangemac

Quote from: AFS on April 19, 2011, 04:07:31 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on April 19, 2011, 03:36:11 PM

If you'd checked a bit more closely you'd have seen that list is three years old. The article that the list is taken from mentions Bradley averaging about 5 points a game. McConville about 4.5 a game. It's worth baring in mind that, given Armagh's preference for the front door for much of McConville's career, Bradley would've enjoyed many more opportunities to augment that average down in the likes of Waterford, Longford, etc.
Stevie McD must be close enough to both of them if that list is 3 years old.

Big blow to Derry's hopes. Did I see that Gilligan is also out of Fermanagh game due to suspension? Surely that suspension would be up by then?

screenexile

Cruciate injury confirmed... disaster!!!

Deats ok for Fermanagh.