All Ireland U21 Football Final Cavan v Galway, 1st May Croke Park

Started by mylestheslasher, April 18, 2011, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: CavanCola on April 19, 2011, 11:06:57 AM
Not so sure if I'm gone on croke park for this fixture.. Would have preferred the match as a single event in tullamore or rosscommon or Longford. Curtain raiser doesn't just sound right for an all Ireland final?? Should be a full house for the end of the u21 match.... Saw a lad at the back of the stand on Saturday night squeezed into his 97 jersey. Pulled over his big wooly jumper.. Classy!!

Think you will be in a minority of one there amongst Cavan people. Reckon the county will bring 15,000/ 20,000 to the game.

Dougal

Not so sure if I'm gone on croke park for this fixture.. Would have preferred the match as a single event in tullamore or rosscommon or Longford. Curtain raiser doesn't just sound right for an all Ireland final?? Should be a full house for the end of the u21 match.... Saw a lad at the back of the stand on Saturday night squeezed into his 97 jersey. Pulled over his big wooly jumper.. Classy!!

would longford even hold the cavan support on its own?i thought it was just shy of 10000 capacity,id imagine we'll bring that many.

never been to a match in Croke Park before,ive been putting it off for a while because i always wanted my first match to be a cavan match.id imagine an all ireland being my first match in croke park will be something special. ;D
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

seafoid

I saw Cavan in the 1996 u21 final. There were 4 or 5 Reillys on the team. They lost. Galway Wexford was the hurling main course and only a handful of Cavan fans stayed for it.

beer baron

I reckon the Gaa have it spot on for once,id say Cavan will bring 20,000,my own dear mother's going to go to her 1st game in a decade and i'm sure every man in the county that likes a pint will be going if only for the rip also.The KK and Dubs game should be excellent as well and i for one will be staying on,the only time i seen the Cats live before was the All Ireland final in 2008,they'll do well to match that performance again  :o!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: seafoid on April 19, 2011, 01:23:31 PM
I saw Cavan in the 1996 u21 final. There were 4 or 5 Reillys on the team. They lost. Galway Wexford was the hurling main course and only a handful of Cavan fans stayed for it.

Was at that myself and what you say is true, however, we were a very dissappointed bunch at the time so you'll have to excuse us. Cavan will probably bring 15k to the match in Croke but I doubt Galway will bring half that. Kilkenny and Dublin 15/20k each maybe? It'll hardly be all ticket.

deiseach

Quote from: Dougal on April 19, 2011, 01:15:16 PM
never been to a match in Croke Park before,ive been putting it off for a while because i always wanted my first match to be a cavan match.id imagine an all ireland being my first match in croke park will be something special. ;D

Good man, hope for the sake of everyone in Cavan that it works out for ye

ross4life

How many Cavan fans went to the semi final? traditionally Cavan have a great following & should outnumber Galway.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

boojangles

Guesstimates of 20,000 are a bit OTT to be honest. There are only 60,000 in the county! I know alot will be going from Dublin but 10 or 12 thousand would be an unbelievable following. Id hazard a guess that we had about 7000 in Parnell Park Saturday night.
Anyway its besides the point. Isn't it just brilliant to see the enthusiasm and sense of pride on so many Cavan peoples faces over the last week. Finally we have a team to be really proud of again. We know that they will work their socks off until the final whistle and thats all we can ask of them.
Galway will be another step up but if we can at least gain parity in Midfield then we will have a great chance. No disrespect to any of the lads but TBH we got cleaned at midfield on Saturday night and we still won.
Our defence is improving and although Wexford could have scored a few goals but for 2 brilliant saves, I feel that was more down to the fact that their midfield was on top. Kevin Meehan does an excellent job of sweeping in front of the FB line and is a brilliant link between defence and attack but somebody will have to pick up the Centre Half forward in Croke Park. Wexfords Number 11 played alot of football on Saturday night.
Its unfair to pick anybody out from a team that has so many stand out performers but I have been very impressed with Oisin Minagh in the last few games. I questioned some aspects of his game previously but in terms of a Full-Back who competes for everything and sticks tight as glue he is doing a great job. He is a no nonsense footballer and every team needs a few of these. He didnt look out of his depth on his Senior debut either.

Westside

There were around 7k in Parnell roughly so Cavan had around 6k at the game, if we were to have 8k in Croker it would be huge. That's around a 7th of the entire population of the County, equivalent to Galway bringing 35k!
I feel our problems at midfield were a lot to do with Gearoid being exhausted, with himself and Leddy fresh and floating around the middle I fancy us to break even at least. McDermott needs another big performance, he can't afford another Ulster Final performance..

anglocelt39

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 19, 2011, 02:27:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 19, 2011, 01:23:31 PM

Was at that myself and what you say is true, however, we were a very dissappointed bunch at the time so you'll have to excuse us. Cavan will probably bring 15k to the match in Croke but I doubt Galway will bring half that. Kilkenny and Dublin 15/20k each maybe? It'll hardly be all ticket.

If you could get Kilkenny to bring 15/20k to an All Ireland Final you'd be doing well, Will be a bit of echo in the ground but sure let's enjoy it
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Denn Forever

Don't care, don't care, we're there.

Galway will be tough and we got the rub of the green at times in Parnell Park.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

CavanCola

Quote from: Dougal on April 19, 2011, 01:15:16 PM

would longford even hold the cavan support on its own?i thought it was just shy of 10000 capacity,id imagine we'll bring that many.

I was at the 88 u21 final in Longford. I suppose since the redevelopment of pearse park there would be a reduction in capacity.

laoisgaa

Well done to my fellow Courtwood gaa clubman Eddie Kinsella on his appointment as referee for the 2011 Cadbury All ireland u21 football final between Cavan and Galway at Croke Park.

Another proud day for Laois GAA.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/kinsella-to-referee-under-21-final-501944.html

Orangemac

Would give hesitant nod to Cavan. Seem to have a bit more momentum. Seemed to be in control of most games they have played this year.

Whilst Galway played well v Cork, a combination of Cork complacency particularly after Kerry win and Walsh going off helped them.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Orangemac on April 19, 2011, 10:35:54 PM
Would give hesitant nod to Cavan. Seem to have a bit more momentum. Seemed to be in control of most games they have played this year.

Whilst Galway played well v Cork, a combination of Cork complacency particularly after Kerry win and Walsh going off helped them.

Galway were doing well in midfield even with Walsh on the field. Obviously he was a loss for them but I don't think it was a decisive factor in the game. Ultimately in a tight match Galway fashioned the only goal of the game.