All Ireland U21 Football Final Cavan v Galway, 1st May Croke Park

Started by mylestheslasher, April 18, 2011, 08:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Well its in Croker on Sunday 1st of May. I think we have a great chance to win our 1st U21 title and I assume it was us that prevented the game being played in Sligo. Come on Cavan!!!

galwayman

Looking forward to this game and am glad it's in Croker. It's a hard one to call as both sides have been impressive to date.
Certainly this team have given Galway football a shot in the arm and no doubt the same is true of the Cavan team.

ross4life

After seeing both play I'd fancy Galway by a couple of points but both sides have some fine players that will be important senior players in the years ahead.

Looking forward to what should be a great game.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mylestheslasher

I just finished watching the Cork v Galway semi thanks to sky box. Galway are a very good team but I don't think Cavan have anything to fear. From what I seen they don't seem to have a really good free taker from distance and their FF line didn't contribute an awful lot. They are tight in the backs and have some really good wing backs and wing forwards. The guy that scored the goal has a lot of pace. Thomas Flynn in midfield is surely the pick of the Galway men. He was outstanding in the semi and must have won possession from 50-60% of kickouts on his own.

Cavans game plan will be to take Flynn out by using Leddy to spoil him  as he has done in a couple of games already. They'll look to get men behind the ball as there is a question whether they can score under pressure and they will try and leave a lot of space for Jack Brady and McDermott in our FF line.

Of course, if a Galway man were to watch cavan in the other semi they'd surely fancy their chances too! It should be a great game and I expect both counties to bring a big crowd.

GalwayBayBoy

Flynn has an absolutely mighty game in the semi alright although prior to that I think most observers would have felt that his midfield partner O'Curraoin was the slightly better player. I guess it's good that they are driving each other on trying to match each other. Nice to read in the paper today when Alan Mulholland told Flynn in training that he would be marking Aidan Walsh he was literally hopping up and down with excitement. I guess it would have been easy at his age to be intimidated going up against someone who was an All-Star last year.

Cavan are sure to bring a big crowd anyway. I fear we may only have the usual few die-hards and hardcore attending.

Denn Forever

So it is definately Croke Park?

Cadbury site and TG4 program this evening said Sligo on 30th. 

Please be Croke Park.  A chance to see a high quality Hurling Game (not so unusual for our Galway men) and a potential upset.  Although Dublin would want to find some more scorers.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 18, 2011, 10:25:28 PM

Please be Croke Park.  A chance to see a high quality Hurling Game (not so unusual for our Galway men) and a potential upset.  Although Dublin would want to find some more scorers.

Yeh, def Croker. Suppose you won't be calling into mine for tea now?

tierworker blue

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 18, 2011, 10:29:30 PM

Yeh, def Croker. Suppose you won't be calling into mine for tea now?

Yep, 100% Croker...sure ye can call into mine instead...Drumcondra won't know what hit it!

galwayman

QuoteFrom what I seen they don't seem to have a really good free taker from distance and their FF line didn't contribute an awful lot.

The relative lack of scores from play from our full forward line is one of the main reasons I didn't think we would beat Cork.None of the ff trio will score heavily.I suppose though it's the sign of a well balanced team that we are not reliant on this line for our scores.

Still haven't managed to track the semi final Cork v Galway down online.Had a club game at the same time as it on Saturday so didn't get to see it. Anyone know if any footage of it is available online?

Blowitupref

It's on http://gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/ scroll down to U21 football & click search.

Hard game to call might come down to something like in last year's final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross4life

Quote from: galwayman on April 18, 2011, 11:36:56 PM
QuoteFrom what I seen they don't seem to have a really good free taker from distance and their FF line didn't contribute an awful lot.

The relative lack of scores from play from our full forward line is one of the main reasons I didn't think we would beat Cork.None of the ff trio will score heavily.I suppose though it's the sign of a well balanced team that we are not reliant on this line for our scores.

Still haven't managed to track the semi final Cork v Galway down online.Had a club game at the same time as it on Saturday so didn't get to see it. Anyone know if any footage of it is available online?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HvwgoqMEvs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knr1g-1B1Gs
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Westside

Big game and I expect a huge Cavan support.. Once the county gets a sniff of a decent side they turn out in droves and have been doing so all year. Cavan's defence needs a huge performance, our goal line was blessed in the past 2 games and but for the rub of the green things could have been a lot different. We need to keep it tight and not let Galway run through us like Wexford did.

The one thing that really encourages me about Cavan however is the amount of players who have stood up to the plate, players have had bad games, Gearoid, McDermott, Leddy despite being amongst our best players have all had an off day along the way and another lad has stepped into the breach. One complete performance where every man plays to his potential is what we need to win it.

Cavan's 3rd appearance in an U21 Final, 3rd time lucky...?

Shamrock Shore

Good luck to Cavan.

Love to see them lift a title. Know a few Cavan lads that have followed Cavan teams through thin and thinner in all far flung places (Cork in the qualifiers a few years back even had me not reaching for the texts as we share the banter)

Maybe see them add a bit of spice in Ulster in a few years but it's hard nowadays to keep a squad together.

CavanCola

Not so sure if I'm gone on croke park for this fixture.. Would have preferred the match as a single event in tullamore or rosscommon or Longford. Curtain raiser doesn't just sound right for an all Ireland final?? Should be a full house for the end of the u21 match.... Saw a lad at the back of the stand on Saturday night squeezed into his 97 jersey. Pulled over his big wooly jumper.. Classy!!