Tyrone v Monaghan - Sun 5 June - UCQF

Started by tyroneman, April 16, 2011, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 05, 2011, 05:31:17 PM
Interesting accusation from the Monaghan manager about the referee during his interview with Radio Ulster, a poor bit of interviewing not to follow up such a comment.
McEneaney didn't say anything of note on BBCNI post match interview.
Congratulations to Tyrone, once they got a grip on the game, their lead was not really put under pressure, even though I think Monaghan will take more out of that game.
Stupid tackle by Dessie Mone late on, which he regretted immediately. Pity if he's out of the next game, probably has a few previous as well :)
O'Neill is an exquisite footballer, put him in isolation until the next game. I don't understand the moaning about Dooher from the Tyronies. He is a still a class act, a leader and will get sharper. Trust in Mickey Harte.
Once Clerkin got the red, the Monaghan task was a write off, but I'm pleased about the way we tried to play and we were not hammered.

Orangemac

Monaghan can be pleased with their reaction to the sending off. Although they never really looked like they could save the game they kept going to the end. Hughes and Walshe in particular had great games in the 2nd half. Tommy Freeman fit could have made a big difference.

Tyrone will be disappointed the way they finished the game. Last 2 championship games they haven't finished well.
Great to see a couple of flashes of SON brilliance though. Also thought Peter Harte was playing reasonably well and didn't deserve to get hauled ashore.

Maguire01

Decent enough result for a new team, although plenty left to do. Very difficult conditions today and both teams made loads of mistakes and gave away possession unnecessarily.

Clerkin getting the line was a big blow and i'm sure he'll be very dissappointed. Can't blame the ref for either sending off really, although otherwise he was brutal. Penrose shouldn't have got a yellow card, but neither should he have had a penalty. Also, I don't think the player who fouled Huighes when he was in on goal in the first half even got a yellow card - strange given that they were being thrown around like confetti.

As for Dooher, he still has a decent enough engine, but he gave away possession unnecessarily on a number of occassions. As a captain however, he's a  class act with a cool head and calmed down a number of the younger players on a couple of occassions.

We weren't expected to win today and a two point defeat isn't a terrible result. Depending on the draw we could get a bit of a run through the qualifiers.

What a brutal afternoon though - soaked to the skin - it was a long drive home!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on June 05, 2011, 09:14:17 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on June 05, 2011, 05:31:17 PM
Interesting accusation from the Monaghan manager about the referee during his interview with Radio Ulster, a poor bit of interviewing not to follow up such a comment.
McEneaney didn't say anything of note on BBCNI post match interview.
Congratulations to Tyrone, once they got a grip on the game, their lead was not really put under pressure, even though I think Monaghan will take more out of that game.
Stupid tackle by Dessie Mone late on, which he regretted immediately. Pity if he's out of the next game, probably has a few previous as well :)
O'Neill is an exquisite footballer, put him in isolation until the next game. I don't understand the moaning about Dooher from the Tyronies. He is a still a class act, a leader and will get sharper. Trust in Mickey Harte.
Once Clerkin got the red, the Monaghan task was a write off, but I'm pleased about the way we tried to play and we were not hammered.
If any other player gave away possession like Dooher they'd have got the gaff early in the second half.

omagh_gael

Correct Tony but as others have mentioned, which I should have, was his influence on others around him. He lead by example when the tempers flared.

Think that game will do us the world of good, a real hard hitting proper championship game will set us up nicely for the semi.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rois on June 05, 2011, 05:32:04 PM
Let me be the first to say it, Brian Dooher should not have been allowed to stay on the pitch for the entire match. Did more bad than good.

Ah Rois, give the Clannsmen a break now and again!  ;)

Due to impeccable planning on my own part, missed the downpour game, but it would seem that he played a captain's part.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rois

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 05, 2011, 10:37:37 PM
Quote from: Rois on June 05, 2011, 05:32:04 PM
Let me be the first to say it, Brian Dooher should not have been allowed to stay on the pitch for the entire match. Did more bad than good.

Ah Rois, give the Clannsmen a break now and again!  ;)

Due to impeccable planning on my own part, missed the downpour game, but it would seem that he played a captain's part.

Ach that's true but he was guilty near the end of giving away a point that brought Monaghan closer.  And it was the first thing Pops and I said to each other afterwards.  But as someone said, it was a case of "bad day at the office" more than anything more serious. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: RandyDupree on June 05, 2011, 08:46:18 PM
How come there were at least 3 occasions of men being caught around the neck, one of which resulted in a straight red but another one were no card was issued except to penrose who was the person fouled?

Yeah, the referee was so inconsistent, really he probably started off thinking this was the way to sort the problem and at some stage thought if i stick consistently with this there will be no one on the pitch!

ONeill

Quote from: tyroneman on June 05, 2011, 08:11:51 PM

Packie 6 - poor kickouts not a lot else to do
Swift - 7 decent. Did what he had to. Little fuss
McCarron 5 - ticked early and hooked soon after.
Ricey 7 - swept up well broke up the field as often as he could solid.
Davy 6  - poor. Not involved enough. Turned over too easily
Block 8 - immense.
Jordan 7 - productive tidy and played a solid game.
Cass 6 - nothing spectacular
Sean 7 - started well and faded in second half, poor free taking at times
Dooher 5 - really poor by his standards. Slow and gave the ball away more than anyOne else. Fair play he always wanted it but just a bad day at the office. Pace gOne.
Brian 8 - first class. Involved in everything good
Penrose 6 - another quiet day. Shocking bad penalty. Rightly subbed
SoN 8 - excellent. Won everything hit into him and scored some sublime points off either foot
Donnelly 8 - excellent also great turns and a good burst of speed. Should keep his place. Will be a disgrace if he doesn't
Harte 5 - oh dear.  Poor. 2 good 45s but overall awful. Backed out of tackles and what was he thinking when ball in hand,  20 yards out, no defenders and he simply panics and kicks high and wide.

I'd query a couple of those ratings. I didn't think Donnelly did himself justice today going by his NFL performances. I thought he looked nervous quite early on and sometimes looked to offload as quickly as possible. I was glad to see Mickey give him 70 mins but wasn't particularly impressed with his positioning at times. I think you're a bit harsh on Peter Harte. Conditions were horrendous but I still think he put in a decent shift and was central to the Tyrone goal. he did rush an effort but did well to retain possession when the ground almost swallowed the ball up.

As for Dooher - those 70 mins will do him the world of good. You can bleep test all you want but finding a pass at 100mph with some big hallion from Scotstown breathing down your neck is a different thing altogether. Good to see him there though and I think Mickey was thinking more long term with a few players, leaving them on the field. I also thought Penrose did alright and would probably have withdrawn Donnelly before him.

Brian McGuigan - what can you say? How many times did he ghost past players one-on-one. Also, he seems to be getting fitter by the year.

All-in-all - it was a first round game. In '03 they scraped past Derry after a dour drawn game. In '05 they beat Down in a similar game to today - soaking - and it took Canavan's introduction to win that game. In '08 it was a very average show in Omagh against Down. Cobwebs brushed off - onwards and upwards.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Thank you ONeill, I shan't seek a better synopsis (with due credit to tyroneman in the first instance).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

Survived! But as we are picking on form there ll be a couple of guys won't start the next day.  How good is it to continually beat a team that tries to kick you round the field year on year.  Mc guigan was class as was Gormley and O Neill,  Donnelly, Cavanagh, Jordan all very strong.  Mulligan looked sharp in there.  Davey and Dooher were miles off yesterday, not picked on current form after all.       

nrico2006

Good to get the first game of the year out of the way.  Easy to pick on Dooher regarding loosing the ball, but when you look at the number of possessions he has compared with most other players in the team then it is expected that he gives away a higher percentage of ball than the rest, although yesterday he did give away more than you would expect (put that down to the weather).  The other thing was that the only man on the pitch who looked like he had a bit of speed was Brian McGuigan.  He was playing well in the League and I thought it might have just been a false dawn, but on yesterdays performance it looks like we have got some of the old pre-injury BMcG back. 

On another note, that number 2 from Monaghan is a tube.  Everytime there were some handbags going on he was either the cause or found reason to go and start pushing someone, on top of the slabbering he was at to SON.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

haranguerer

Quote from: haranguerer on June 05, 2011, 11:43:56 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 05, 2011, 11:36:18 AM
Great 1st post. Is this really the place for this sort of nonsense?

Yes

Cheers for the abusive pm Final Whistle. I should have taken into consideration that people of your limited capacity may not have understood that when I quoted a question I was replying to it. As we have seen in recent events, the internet is exactly the place for such nonsense - it was a jokey reply to the q. In future I'll try to remember to put smileys in so you can look at the wee pictures and get a better idea of the tone of the answer, as it appears clear you dont have the ability to work this out for yourself.

Club Rossa

Tyrone have plenty of work to do ahead of the semi final but i think they will be reasonably happy with how things went yesterday.Conditions were absolutely atrocious and they were up against a resolute Monaghan team that was never going to make it easy for them.
I thought Brian McGuigan and Stephen O'Neill were the pick of the forwards,Brian is in great shape and is probably playing his best football since 2005.Gormley was solid at the back and Ricey had a good enough game too.I hope the McMahon brothers will be ready for the semi final to tighten up the defence.

EC Unique

Tyrone did the job but people need to remember they played a fair bit of the game with an extra man and still only won by 2 points. Lots of work needed I think.