Tyrone v Monaghan - Sun 5 June - UCQF

Started by tyroneman, April 16, 2011, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on June 06, 2011, 09:51:46 AM
I hate to say I told you so but Davy Harte and Brian Dooher don't deserve a first 15 jersey.
To be honest, I hate to see this levelled at great servants, particularly in my eyes Tyrones greatest ever servant.  I look at what has been said and if the 70 minutes brings them closer to the rest of the pack then it can be justified, as long as the young players who were bypassed are also given a chance to be brought up to speed.  I mean if Ronan Mc Nabb had a game like Davy yesterday he would be slaughtered, if Kyle Coney played like Dooher yesterday he wouldnt get another jersey - my point is lay off all these guys.  But whilst we give the older heads tha chances we must remember the young players deserve the chances and perhaps need to experience these games even more than the old "fogies" to get them up to speed. All in all Tyrone werent outstanding yesterday but today Im reasonably content that if we invest in a little more youth alongside our exceptional "fogies" we can challenge again.   

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: rrhf on June 06, 2011, 03:20:06 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on June 06, 2011, 09:51:46 AM
I hate to say I told you so but Davy Harte and Brian Dooher don't deserve a first 15 jersey.
To be honest, I hate to see this levelled at great servants, particularly in my eyes Tyrones greatest ever servant.  I look at what has been said and if the 70 minutes brings them closer to the rest of the pack then it can be justified, as long as the young players who were bypassed are also given a chance to be brought up to speed.  I mean if Ronan Mc Nabb had a game like Davy yesterday he would be slaughtered, if Kyle Coney played like Dooher yesterday he wouldnt get another jersey - my point is lay off all these guys.  But whilst we give the older heads tha chances we must remember the young players deserve the chances and perhaps need to experience these games even more than the old "fogies" to get them up to speed. All in all Tyrone werent outstanding yesterday but today Im reasonably content that if we invest in a little more youth alongside our exceptional "fogies" we can challenge again.   

I agree. I was just pointing out that I thought that D Harte and B Dooher are no longer starting players. I hate the whole thing when you criticise Dooher et al you get the how many all irelands do you have look at all he's done for our county etc etc. I'm all for playing the likes of McGuigan, Gormley, Jordan i'm not one for saying lets get rid of them all!!! If they're playing well like the three boys mentioned yesterday i'm all for it! However its a long time since i got the feeling dooher was playing well and even longer for davy harte!!

Over the Bar

QuoteI hate to say I told you so but Davy Harte and Brian Dooher don't deserve a first 15 jersey.

It's a pity Mickey Harte doesn't have the likes of you in his back room team then to keep him right then.   ::)   Obviously MH doesn't have a clue who is best team for the day are.

Maguire01

In response to the numerous posts on Monaghan being dirty...

Kerry and Monaghan share first place in the GAA's 'fair play' index under the points system established for the league
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/kingdom-rise-in-fair-play-list-2620707.html

I don't have the full rankings after 7 games of the league, but after 6, Tyrone were in 22nd place.
http://www.hoganstand.com/Football/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=145924

Also, from yesterday's match - Frees: Tyrone 23 Monaghan 37. Yellow cards: Tyrone 8 Monaghan 6. Red Cards: Tyrone 0 Monaghan 2.
And whilst most Tyrone people will argue that Monaghan's red cards were deserved, Kevin Hughes got a yellow card for a tackle very similar to Mone's. And Owen Mulligan could well have landed himself a red card for his swing at Walshe.

Now i'm not claiming Monaghan are whiter than white by any means, but some people need to take the blinkers off.

Maguire01

Interesting comment from Darren Hughes:
"I'll not repeat what he said to me in the first half, the referee shouldn't be saying that!" Hughes claimed, querying why Joe McQuillan (the original appointee) was taken off the game.

Over the Bar

I'd hazard a guess that the ref said something like "If your team came here to play football rather than hitting players off the ball it might fit you better"

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 06, 2011, 06:51:13 PM
QuoteI hate to say I told you so but Davy Harte and Brian Dooher don't deserve a first 15 jersey.

It's a pity Mickey Harte doesn't have the likes of you in his back room team then to keep him right then.   ::)   Obviously MH doesn't have a clue who is best team for the day are.

I knew there'd be one!!!! see my post above yours!!!  ::)

tyronebhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 06, 2011, 06:51:34 PM
Also, from yesterday's match - Frees: Tyrone 23 Monaghan 37. Yellow cards: Tyrone 8 Monaghan 6. Red Cards: Tyrone 0 Monaghan 2.
And whilst most Tyrone people will argue that Monaghan's red cards were deserved, Kevin Hughes got a yellow card for a tackle very similar to Mone's. And Owen Mulligan could well have landed himself a red card for his swing at Walshe.

Now i'm not claiming Monaghan are whiter than white by any means, but some people need to take the blinkers off.

When you consider that Martin Penrose received a yellow card after being slapped when it should have went the other way and the monaghan player who escaped a card due to being subbed, the card tally should have been reversed.

Not sure why there were so many more fouls given against Tyrone.

For Owen Mulligan, see Darren Hughes who also had a swing at a Tyrone player that went un-punished.

Maguire01

Quote from: tyronebhoy on June 07, 2011, 03:27:47 PM

When you consider that Martin Penrose received a yellow card after being slapped when it should have went the other way and the monaghan player who escaped a card due to being subbed, the card tally should have been reversed.

For Owen Mulligan, see Darren Hughes who also had a swing at a Tyrone player that went un-punished.
We can argue all day over individual red and yellow cards - my point was just to dispell the myth that Monaghan were shockingly dirty whilst Tyrone were whiter than white.

Also, the idea that Monaghan dodged a card by making a substitution is utter crap - that was just Sidebottom going off on a tangent. If a ref wants to give a card, you can't escape it like that.

nrico2006

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 07, 2011, 06:44:52 PM

We can argue all day over individual red and yellow cards - my point was just to dispell the myth that Monaghan were shockingly dirty whilst Tyrone were whiter than white.

Also, the idea that Monaghan dodged a card by making a substitution is utter crap - that was just Sidebottom going off on a tangent. If a ref wants to give a card, you can't escape it like that.

The substitution saved the player from receiving a card.  He was the agressor and if the victim (in this case Jordan) got a yellow then Gollogy would have got at least a yellow.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bingo

Way big over reaction to Monaghans "dirt" on this thread, its actually sad really. Sure Monaghan are no angels but this so called dirt wasn't anything near the level that its made out to be. It was a dirty day for football, Monaghan were complete underdogs playing in Omagh, Tyrone beat them  out the gate last year in a one sided Ulster final. FFS what do you's expect, Monaghan to try and outplay Tyrone? Of course Monaghan were going to try and get in the faces of their opponents and try to stop them playing but it was nowhere on the level that was out and out dirt ie Meath on Tyrone in Croker in the past.

Some people in Tyrone have short memories. Its also the case that if you expect your opponents to dive and try and win frees, give them something to dive about.

At the end of the day, a very inexperienced Monaghan team, playing over half the game with 14 men, closed the gap to 2 points based on last years display.

Maybe they many posters on here are more focused on Monaghans dirt to paper over the cracks in their own teams display?

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Bingo on June 08, 2011, 10:44:34 AM
Way big over reaction to Monaghans "dirt" on this thread, its actually sad really. Sure Monaghan are no angels but this so called dirt wasn't anything near the level that its made out to be. It was a dirty day for football, Monaghan were complete underdogs playing in Omagh, Tyrone beat them  out the gate last year in a one sided Ulster final. FFS what do you's expect, Monaghan to try and outplay Tyrone? Of course Monaghan were going to try and get in the faces of their opponents and try to stop them playing but it was nowhere on the level that was out and out dirt ie Meath on Tyrone in Croker in the past.

Some people in Tyrone have short memories. Its also the case that if you expect your opponents to dive and try and win frees, give them something to dive about.

At the end of the day, a very inexperienced Monaghan team, playing over half the game with 14 men, closed the gap to 2 points based on last years display.

Maybe they many posters on here are more focused on Monaghans dirt to paper over the cracks in their own teams display?

Well said!!!

Maguire01

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 08, 2011, 08:38:31 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 07, 2011, 06:44:52 PM

The substitution saved the player from receiving a card.  He was the agressor and if the victim (in this case Jordan) got a yellow then Gollogy would have got at least a yellow.
And the ref could still have given one - that's my point. You can't dodge a card by being substituted, otherwise Monaghan would have subbed Clerkin as soon as the ref came near him for the second yellow. It doesn't work like that.

babarino

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 05, 2011, 08:43:41 PM
Quote from: Doohicky on June 05, 2011, 08:34:18 PM
Looking likely that Mugsy will get away with with his slap.

Doesn't seem to have been caught on camera.

It's a strange one as himself and Walshe had a warm embrace on the final whistle. I suppose what happens on the pitch stays there. From where I was Mone can have no compliants, plus he did it right in front of the officials.

Monaghan have taken the dark arts to a new level. I know it might be a bit hypocritical when we have Ricey acting the buck but about half the Monaghan men were continually slabbering/digging especially their No 2 on SoN. Although funny watching O'Neill looking quite perplexed by all his attention.

What are you banging on about? O'Neill was easily giving as good as he was getting. BBC NI sticking up for their wee 6 mates with their camera angles and Silly Sidebottom commentary doesn't take away from it. I was metres away from the pair of them. He was also the first line of draggers in the Tyrone Rugby League slow down the offence and got away with it. O'Neill up against a rookie playing the victim of foul play rings a bit hollow.

ONeill

I didn't see much dirt from Monaghan at all. Witness far worse from Cavan, Armagh and Johnny McBride.

Mark Donnelly - I thought he had a very average game going by his NFL performances. However, having watched it again, I was perhaps harsh. He showed well in possession and, albeit hasty in releasing the ball, did a lot of things right.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.