Martin Higgins

Started by saffron sam2, April 11, 2011, 09:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

If Paudie Hughes can have his own thread, why not the diminutive (and more highly ranked) Fermanagh whistler?

Caught the tail end of the Laois - Donegal game and saw him move the ball forward for dissent by a Donegal man. Now, I know that you get extra assessor points for using signals to explain your decisions (e.g. over-carrying), but I sincerely hope the "Rod Hull minus Emu" signal for dissent does not become an acceptable or accepted one.

Seriously Marty, it makes you look terribly like an arrogant, jumped up little idiot.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

mackers

Extremely poor referee. He was responsible for the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen, an under 21 championship match between Armagh and Derry in Crossmaglen a few years back. Was still attempting to dish out red cards after the final whistle...........closest I ever saw to a referee getting hit.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Throw ball

Quote from: mackers on April 12, 2011, 01:21:27 PM
Extremely poor referee. He was responsible for the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen, an under 21 championship match between Armagh and Derry in Crossmaglen a few years back. Was still attempting to dish out red cards after the final whistle...........closest I ever saw to a referee getting hit.

Remember it well. Nippy got some battering that day and never got a free. Then Derry got a free deep, deep into injury time as he played for a draw. They went and scored a goal to win the game. He was lucky he had a few Crossmaglen people keeping him safe from a few eejits.

laoisgaa

I was talking to Martin after the game while waiting for some Laois interviews and the Erne County's finest thought he had an excellent game!

haranguerer

It can't be helped that hes a dire referee who shouldnt be near a whistle, but what should be able to be helped is the amount of games he gets - i.e. none. Instead however, hes flying through the ranks and getting bigger and bigger games - while I hear McEnaney is falling out of favour because hes too subjective. The thing is, any good referee in gaelic has to use some subjectivity. Somethings badly wrong somewhere, and its only getting worse.

Bill Haven

McEnaney was running the line in Mullingar on Sunday. Ridiculous state of affairs.

FermGael

Martin is a fine referee.
If one of the by products of his rise through the ranks is that he will not be available to referee as many games internally in Fermanagh, then its a cross us Fermanagh folk are prepared to bear...
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Orangemac

I know Martin but his adherence to the letter of the law is not conducive to free flowing football.

In a way this is not his fault as this is what the assessors mark him on. The higher score the more games you get.

The system needs to change. I'm not sure how but maybe managers should have an input into referees assessments.

The media (RTE in particular) have an influence with their obsession with referees performances on a Sunday nigh.

FarneyMan

What a C8nt of a Ref..........

Martin ref'ed a Fermanagh Championship Final a few years back, over the course of the game it seemed his decisions were favouring one side more than the other, the side that benefitted from his decisions, Teemore, won the match.

After the game I discovered that Teemores main sponsor and money man (at that time) was also Martins employer..........Mr Sean Quinn !

Dougal

i knew the name rang a bell,wasnt untill farney man said he worked for quinns untill it hit me.only seen him ref 1 match that i can think of and was woeful,is he still getting big games?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

NAG1

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 11, 2011, 09:09:47 PM
If Paudie Hughes can have his own thread, why not the diminutive (and more highly ranked) Fermanagh whistler?

Caught the tail end of the Laois - Donegal game and saw him move the ball forward for dissent by a Donegal man. Now, I know that you get extra assessor points for using signals to explain your decisions (e.g. over-carrying), but I sincerely hope the "Rod Hull minus Emu" signal for dissent does not become an acceptable or accepted one.

Seriously Marty, it makes you look terribly like an arrogant, jumped up little idiot.

SS2 You clearly havent watched our own RM reffing lately as this is now his favourite motion, while also managing to slag a few players off at the same time  :D

robbiegael

Just watched Higgins referee the McKenna cup final - he had a dreadful game. Keep him in Fermanagh as he is not good enough to referee county standard!!